Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2009, 06:28 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,793,468 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaxUniversum View Post
It's not, but there are people in this country who try to make people accept something that they're against.

You should be treated equally, you have the right. I am all for gay marriage, because I think that gays and lesbians should be able to love whoever they want and be able to love them "eternally".

I just think that this issue isn't very important at this period in time, because we have bigger issues that need to be solved quickly or it will end in disaster.

I am nonreligious, and I don't believe in political parties, therefore my views and opinions are not restricted to any group or party.
I believe gay marriage is a right, and it should be allowed.
I don't believe that people who are against it, or for it, should be prancing around and causing trouble that we don't need so that their opinion, or what they believe to be true or fact, can be heard or whatever.

It's just something that we need to set aside for now, or get done with quickly so we can move on to more important issues like the national debt, and the war in the Mid-East.
I would love for it to be solved quickly.
I think it could help the economy, less same-sex couples paying double in taxes and out there stimulating the economy.
A study was done in MA that showed the legality of same sex marriage is an economic plus for the state...

To you it may not be an important issue but for many families it is a HUGE issue. It's not just about having some marriage ceremony and having the family see you all dressed up. It's about the rights, responsibilities, etc of marriage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2009, 07:51 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,653,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigskydude View Post
If and when the day comes of which you speak, it would stand to reason that a particular gene would be isolated, only to result in the abortion of the affected fetus, or better still, a cure be found for what ails the fetus.

I'm of the opinion that gay is as much a lifestyle as nongay is.

What would be even more interesting, is if science proved what we already knew all along, and that being, gay is a lifestyle choice, brought on by training in the earliest years of life.
No cure is needed for gay people. Your hatred however, does act like a cancer.

Old 05-19-2009, 08:17 PM

4,002 posts, read 3,907,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zonababe View Post
No cure is needed for gay people. Your hatred however, does act like a cancer.
I don't subscribe to the lifestyle and I'm full of hatred??

So you all claim science and genetic hardwire for an argument?
Hardly a viable excuse when you consider what science will do with all of your so-called hardwiring, if in fact science discovers that this is what it is.

I would much rather consider all of this a lifestyle choice than that of being a genetic defect.

Just imagine for a moment that this is in fact some sort of genetic disorder.
What's to keep regular folks from finding out about it in utero, and in turn rejecting the fetus via abortion?

Want to talk about hate? That would be pure hate right there.
Babies are aborted every day because of certain defects in this country, and given the current state of affairs with regard to genetics, I wouldn't put it passed science to suggest just that type of alternetive with regard to dealing with the "gay genome".

Spare me the drama (which most gays are so known for) and the accusations of hate.

Lifestyle choices, being what they are, are often tolerated, but rarely are ever embraced fully by the masses.

Old 05-19-2009, 09:22 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,497,397 times
Quote:
I don't subscribe to the lifestyle and I'm full of hatred??

So you all claim science and genetic hardwire for an argument?
Hardly a viable excuse when you consider what science will do with all of your so-called hardwiring, if in fact science discovers that this is what it is.

I would much rather consider all of this a lifestyle choice than that of being a genetic defect.

Just imagine for a moment that this is in fact some sort of genetic disorder.
What's to keep regular folks from finding out about it in utero, and in turn rejecting the fetus via abortion?

Want to talk about hate? That would be pure hate right there.
Babies are aborted every day because of certain defects in this country, and given the current state of affairs with regard to genetics, I wouldn't put it passed science to suggest just that type of alternetive with regard to dealing with the "gay genome".

Spare me the drama (which most gays are so known for) and the accusations of hate.

Lifestyle choices, being what they are, are often tolerated, but rarely are ever embraced fully by the masses.
Answer this then; When did you choose to be a heterosexual. When did you have an epiphany and thought to yourself, Gee, I wonder, do I want to be gay or straight? Do you understand where I am coming from? IT IS NOT A CHOICE!!! Who would want to choose to be persecuted, discriminated against legally, bullied, beat up or tossed away by your parents, all because one is gay? With all the hatred against gays, who would want to make that choice. Would you?

Old 05-19-2009, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
Answer this then; When did you choose to be a heterosexual. When did you have an epiphany and thought to yourself, Gee, I wonder, do I want to be gay or straight? Do you understand where I am coming from? IT IS NOT A CHOICE!!! Who would want to choose to be persecuted, discriminated against legally, bullied, beat up or tossed away by your parents, all because one is gay? With all the hatred against gays, who would want to make that choice. Would you?
So then we'll look at the hardwire argument.

Genetic defect is absolutely not a flattering way to go.
But if this is what it is, then so be it.

I've gone through such simple minded arguments before, what with this gay choice, no choice thing. And the animal, natural, normal crap arguments too.

If gays are looking for a scientific out for being how they are, then I hope they find it soon, so then we can move on to the next phase of why all of this is.

I would hate to think that gays are just another failed mutation of the evolutionary path that the human race/species is on, but if this is how you want to be portrayed, pending scientific discovery, then so be it.

My primary points have always been that as long as the nation views gays as being odd or abnormal, then they aren't going to be getting the recognition that they seemingly want so bad in the end. Science, being what it is, won't help your cause much either, I'm afraid

I won't help to dig the hole any deeper than it already is for you folks. This is why I refer to this whole business of being gay as a choice.

Terms like genetic defect aren't at all very becoming. It's what you'll find the science refering to though, should it come up with something genetic.

I have and have had gay friends in my lifetime, both male and female. What they do, and with whom isn't any of my concern. I don't ridicule, malign, or treat them any differently than I do my straight friends.

I've had long discussions with some of them on just such matters as this, and I'm comfortable with letting folks live how they wish or choose to live.

Now I'll ask back ... Just where exactly, would my hatred for gays reside?

Old 05-19-2009, 10:41 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,497,397 times
Quote:
So then we'll look at the hardwire argument.

Genetic defect is absolutely not a flattering way to go.
But if this is what it is, then so be it.

I've gone through such simple minded arguments before, what with this gay choice, no choice thing. And the animal, natural, normal crap arguments too.

If gays are looking for a scientific out for being how they are, then I hope they find it soon, so then we can move on to the next phase of why all of this is.

I would hate to think that gays are just another failed mutation of the evolutionary path that the human race/species is on, but if this is how you want to be portrayed, pending scientific discovery, then so be it.

My primary points have always been that as long as the nation views gays as being odd or abnormal, then they aren't going to be getting the recognition that they seemingly want so bad in the end. Science, being what it is, won't help your cause much either, I'm afraid

I won't help to dig the hole any deeper than it already is for you folks. This is why I refer to this whole business of being gay as a choice.

Terms like genetic defect aren't at all very becoming. It's what you'll find the science refering to though, should it come up with something genetic.

I have and have had gay friends in my lifetime, both male and female. What they do, and with whom isn't any of my concern. I don't ridicule, malign, or treat them any differently than I do my straight friends.

I've had long discussions with some of them on just such matters as this, and I'm comfortable with letting folks live how they wish or choose to live.

Now I'll ask back ... Just where exactly, would my hatred for gays reside?
Just because it is genetic does not make it a defect. A defect would render one totally unable to reproduce. Gay men or lesbians have the ability to reproduce, just not with the sex they are attracted to. If making being gay a defect floats your boat and allows you to feel OK to dislike, hate, discriminate against or call defects, then I hope it makes you happy. You still did not answer the question. When did you choose to be straight? It is an easy question and since you think sexual orientation is a choice, then you must know the answer. We are all waiting to hear it.

Old 05-19-2009, 10:49 PM

Quote:
You still did not answer the question. When did you choose to be straight? It is an easy question and since you think sexual orientation is a choice, then you must know the answer. We are all waiting to hear it.
My choice to not be gay was when I was approached by a gay person and propositioned.

He was met with a very resounding "NO" and a swift kick to the groin ... I was 12 at the time, he was 36.

It sure doesn't say a whole helluva lot for gays now does it?

Old 05-19-2009, 10:51 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,149,944 times
Quote:
My choice to not be gay was when I was approached by a gay person and propositioned.

He was met with a very resounding "NO" and a swift kick to the groin ... I was 12 at the time, he was 36.
That's not being gay,that's pedophilia.

Old 05-19-2009, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Just because it is genetic does not make it a defect. A defect would render one totally unable to reproduce.
Visit a mental hospital sometime then, won't you?

A genetic defect can effect the mind, while leaving the physical body totally in tact and able to reproduce.

Old 05-19-2009, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
That's not being gay,that's pedophilia.
Oh I don't know ... his boyfriend was 28.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies