Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2009, 10:59 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,149,944 times

Advertisements

When we are born we have blond hair or brown or red.We might be right handed or lefthanded. Not so long ago it was frowned upon to be lefthanded,now it is a normal thing.Being gay is the same. It is not a mutation or a defect,it's just how some are born and once they hit a certain age they might realize an attraction to the same sex instead of the opposite.As a child they won't necessarily notice it.As the years go on maybe,they will finally be treated as equals instead of inferior people. I'm a straight man,married with kids so obviously a gay man is as much a threat to me as a woman. I'm faithful to my relationship to my wife so whether someone is gay or straight it doesn't matter and even if I wasn't married the word no ends all come ons. Maybe we need to grow up as a society and be more accepting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2009, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigskydude View Post
Oh I don't know ... his boyfriend was 28.
If he hit on you at 12,thats bad but a woman of the same age is the same a pedophile.

Old 05-19-2009, 11:03 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,921,371 times
I knew I was different long time ago.. even as a very young child.. I actually thought of myself as a girl in a lot of respects because all my playground friends were girls, and we got along great, talked about boys.. chased boys... it was great up until puberty when it was no longer innocent, and there were actual sexual desires, many of those girls turned their desires towards me, while mine were certainly not towards them... Puberty was when things came together in understanding how I was different. I never was "touched" "molested" or even around anything of such.. I grew up in a strict mormon household, with two parents who are still together to this day... I never knew of or associated with gay people...
On top of all this, the course of my life, following my path that was given to me... I come in contact with rude disrespectful biggoted people with the name of jesus on their lips.. who tear away at what I know to be true, first hand from experience, and tell me or anyone like me that I'm just sick, or have mental issues, or that I'm unnatural.. because the very fact of my existance in my natural form I've always known makes them have to question their beliefs in some silly scripture...
so I have two options.. keep it to myself, don't talk about it, don't let anyone know...
or get away from them... because they don't want "it" or me around them.. for whatever reason...

you people are so insulting to gay people with your rhetoric, like somehow you know better.
If you want to learn about gay people and the realities associated with homosexuality.. try actually talking to a gay person... and lose the self righteous pride and actually listen, rather than jump to a conclusion and throw your ignorance in their face.. it really is disgusting at how religion and ignorance seem to go hand in hand all too many times.. it's beginning to make me wonder

Old 05-19-2009, 11:05 PM

4,002 posts, read 3,907,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
When we are born we have blond hair or brown or red.We might be right handed or lefthanded. Not so long ago it was frowned upon to be lefthanded,now it is a normal thing.Being gay is the same. It is not a mutation or a defect,it's just how some are born and once they hit a certain age they might realize an attraction to the same sex instead of the opposite.As a child they won't necessarily notice it.As the years go on maybe,they will finally be treated as equals instead of inferior people. I'm a straight man,married with kids so obviously a gay man is as much a threat to me as a woman. I'm faithful to my relationship to my wife so whether someone is gay or straight it doesn't matter and even if I wasn't married the word no ends all come ons. Maybe we need to grow up as a society and be more accepting.
Being tolerant is a whole different thing than being accepting.

Laws aren't being passed because most of the nation isn't ready to accept the gay thing as being normal.

The left hand deal was a matter of historical fact however. Even today, in many arab nations, the left hand is still used to wipe with.

Since the dawn of toilet paper, the whole left hand deal has pretty much gone away for us.

I don't care if folks want to be gay ... it's totally up to them.

Old 05-19-2009, 11:09 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,921,371 times
Quote:

Laws aren't being passed because most of the nation isn't ready to accept the gay thing as being normal.

The left hand deal was a matter of historical fact however. Even today, in many arab nations, the left hand is still used to wipe with.

Since the dawn of toilet paper, the whole left hand deal has pretty much gone away for us.

if you don't care, then why must you degrade it and compare it to a defect or "problem"... it just seems a bit too insulting from someone that really doesn't care....

Old 05-19-2009, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseguy View Post
if you don't care, then why must you degrade it and compare it to a defect or "problem"... it just seems a bit too insulting from someone that really doesn't care....
For all of the troubles you folks have had over the years, I thought to bring up the scientific end of it all.

I didn't come up with the actual argument for a defect, rather, one of my gay friends did, during a conversation over coffee one day.

He seemed a bit concerned by it all at the time. With he being a part of the scientific community, I can see where he would be coming from.
I still, even through the course of our conversation, insisted it all to be of choice. I'm more comfortable looking at it from the perspective of choice.

Of course it would make sense, afterall, just look at what science has done with abortion, and global warming over the years.

The concern was that if science ever got a hold of even a shred of genuine evidence that pointed to a genetic root/problem of the gay person, the whole gay effort or cause would be set back 100 years.

Old 05-19-2009, 11:39 PM

Quote:

My issue is that you can't say you are friends with gay people then make a comment about how "if folks want to be gay".The other thing is who has to "accept the gay thing as being normal"? People have to learn that you can be friends with people if they are gay or not.Because someone is gay ,it does not mean that they are looking to bang you up the a--. My aunt is gay and she is very nice to me and that's all that matters. Her son (my cousin)is not so nice (straight) so I treat him accordingly.By the way, i'm ex military and in the middle east alot of people still don't use toilet paper; but we are in the U.S. More then anything people need to see homosexuals as humans first,instead of sex crazed people who are trying to convert them.

Old 05-19-2009, 11:45 PM

Quote:
For all of the troubles you folks have had over the years, I thought to bring up the scientific end of it all.

I didn't come up with the actual argument for a defect, rather, one of my gay friends did, during a conversation over coffee one day.

He seemed a bit concerned by it all at the time. With he being a part of the scientific community, I can see where he would be coming from.
I still, even through the course of our conversation, insisted it all to be of choice. I'm more comfortable looking at it from the perspective of choice.

Of course it would make sense, afterall, just look at what science has done with abortion, and global warming over the years.

The concern was that if science ever got a hold of even a shred of genuine evidence that pointed to a genetic root/problem of the gay person, the whole gay effort or cause would be set back 100 years.
Based on genetic material,one day there might be a way to change the sex of a boy to a girl in the early stage or adding/removing a gene to make someone straight but no one currently knows.When I was a certain age,I realized I liked girls.For a gay person they might notice that the feelings for the opposite sex aren't as strong as their friends describe and later they find out why. The reason is that the attraction to the same sex
existed but as a kid they saw all their friends seeking out the opposite. Thats why the feeling are suppressed and hidden the majority of the time. It's not that it developed later,it's that later they weren't denied.

Old 05-19-2009, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
My issue is that you can't say you are friends with gay people then make a comment about how "if folks want to be gay"..
I suppose you are entitled to your opinion.

So I guess Trish really didn't choose to be gay when she decided go out with other women?

She's been gay for a little over 5 years and thinks it's pretty cool.

Believe what you want.

My gay friends aren't nearly as uptight about how I talk about it as you seem to be. Maybe you are the one that needs to come to grips with your gayness.

Old 05-19-2009, 11:55 PM

1,577 posts, read 1,957,467 times
If we are getting into an argument regarding genetic manipulation, this poses bigger ethical issues for society than just homosexuality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies