Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2009, 11:57 PM

4,002 posts, read 3,907,435 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mississauga75 View Post
If we are getting into an argument regarding genetic manipulation, this poses bigger ethical issues for society than just homosexuality.
It absolutely does!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2009, 12:02 AM

106 posts, read 198,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
When we are born we have blond hair or brown or red.We might be right handed or lefthanded. Not so long ago it was frowned upon to be lefthanded,now it is a normal thing.Being gay is the same. It is not a mutation or a defect,it's just how some are born and once they hit a certain age they might realize an attraction to the same sex instead of the opposite.As a child they won't necessarily notice it.As the years go on maybe,they will finally be treated as equals instead of inferior people. I'm a straight man,married with kids so obviously a gay man is as much a threat to me as a woman. I'm faithful to my relationship to my wife so whether someone is gay or straight it doesn't matter and even if I wasn't married the word no ends all come ons. Maybe we need to grow up as a society and be more accepting.
I disagree with this part, but on a religious note (don't go bashing because I'm religious, just bringing up a different view). As I have learned as a Christian, God created man in his image. God is not homosexual (as per his teachings of a family), therefore, man/woman cannot be born that way and the choice is their's once they can make that choice.

I do think, however, that certain influences when young can steer a person towards homosexuality.

Old 05-20-2009, 12:06 AM

1,577 posts, read 1,957,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanByBirth View Post
I disagree with this part, but on a religious note (don't go bashing because I'm religious, just bringing up a different view). As I have learned as a Christian, God created man in his image. God is not homosexual (as per his teachings of a family), therefore, man/woman cannot be born that way and the choice is their's once they can make that choice.

I do think, however, that certain influences when young can steer a person towards homosexuality.
It is far more inate than a casual choice. Quite frankly, you don't understand god. Neither do I nor do i claim to.

Old 05-20-2009, 12:06 AM

8,164 posts, read 15,149,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigskydude View Post
I suppose you are entitled to your opinion.

So I guess Trish really didn't choose to be gay when she decided go out with other women?

She's been gay for a little over 5 years and thinks it's pretty cool.

Believe what you want.

My gay friends aren't nearly as uptight about how I talk about it as you seem to be. Maybe you are the one that needs to come to grips with your gayness.
First off i'm straight but if I was gay I wouldn't have a problem saying it. I'm jewish and have experienced racism,especially while in the midwest(as part of the Air Force); so I know how it feels to feel like the minority. That's why I personally try to defend against any type of discrimination or anything that feels like it.

Old 05-20-2009, 12:07 AM

6,414 posts, read 10,497,397 times
Quote:
My choice to not be gay was when I was approached by a gay person and propositioned.

He was met with a very resounding "NO" and a swift kick to the groin ... I was 12 at the time, he was 36.

It sure doesn't say a whole helluva lot for gays now does it?
That was not making a choice. If you are not gay, you would not be attracted to the same sex and would be repulsed or not interested, but you say you were 12 and the individual was 36. You were barely old enough to know one way or the other and he was old enough to know not to hit on a 12 year old. If I at 12 were hit on by a man 3 times my age, I would probably kick him too and then tell my mom and the police. He fits the description of a pedophile not a normal gay man. As to a question of yours earlier about why would you hate gays. Well I would say you hate gays because of that man and are blaming the rest of the gay people for it. One bad gay does not make all of us bad. Many of us are very good people worth knowing and deserve the same equal treatment as you would like. I think you did the right thing when you were 12 though, regardless of the sex of the perpetrator.

Old 05-20-2009, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanByBirth View Post

I wont bash you for your religious beliefs but more then any group the christians seam to jump up whenever there is any talk of homosexuality. A good person is a good person whether gay or straight.Let me ask you this; would you rather have an adulterer who's constantly hitting on your spouse next door to you or a mongamous,quiet gay couple?

Old 05-20-2009, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
That was not making a choice. If you are not gay, you would not be attracted to the same sex and would be repulsed or not interested, but you say you were 12 and the individual was 36. You were barely old enough to know one way or the other and he was old enough to know not to hit on a 12 year old. If I at 12 were hit on by a man 3 times my age, I would probably kick him too and then tell my mom and the police. He fits the description of a pedophile not a normal gay man. As to a question of yours earlier about why would you hate gays. Well I would say you hate gays because of that man and are blaming the rest of the gay people for it. One bad gay does not make all of us bad. Many of us are very good people worth knowing and deserve the same equal treatment as you would like. I think you did the right thing when you were 12 though, regardless of the sex of the perpetrator.
Oh trust me on this one, the man was gay.

Even at 12, boys know the difference.

Old 05-20-2009, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Oh trust me on this one, the man was gay.

Even at 12, boys know the difference.
Don't you understand what's being said? You might have been scarred by this one time and because of it have alittle chip on your shoulder. It might have thrown me too but you can't blame every gay person for an isolated incident. The major issue with this is that the guy is a pedophile before he is a gay man, and pedophiles most of the time search for either sex (proven fact) as long as they are within their preferred age range. I read an article a few years ago and about 85% of pedophiles don't even care about the sex of the child.

Old 05-20-2009, 12:18 AM

106 posts, read 198,112 times
Quote:
I wont bash you for your religious beliefs but more then any group the christians seam to jump up whenever there is any talk of homosexuality. A good person is a good person whether gay or straight.Let me ask you this; would you rather have an adulterer who's constantly hitting on your spouse next door to you or a mongamous,quiet gay couple?

I never said they weren't good people. I don't have a problem with gay people, just not my cup of tea.

Old 05-20-2009, 12:21 AM

Quote:
First off i'm straight but if I was gay I wouldn't have a problem saying it. I'm jewish and have experienced racism,especially while in the midwest(as part of the Air Force); so I know how it feels to feel like the minority. That's why I personally try to defend against any type of discrimination or anything that feels like it.
Well you did seem pretty uptight about it all ... no wonder, what with you not being gay and all.

The friends I have are professional people and most would never have them pegged as being gay unless they knew them.

My gay friends are much more laid back about most of this stuff. None of them are the flaming-bo types either. They have their concerns of course, and their reasoning about such things is what keeps the dialouge going and our friendships alive. It's okay with them that I'm not gay, and do the best they can to explain how things are with being gay in a straight world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies