Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 02:28 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,397,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickeldude View Post
Social conservatives... The bane of free people. You are always the opponents of true justice and equality, and you are always defeated. Whether it be religious persecution, slavery, abortion, or gay marriage fairness always prevails over your bigotry.
Please don't confuse religious nutjob conservative and social conservative.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2009, 02:30 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,403,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
Its nice to know that these gay people put thier own selfish desires over that of the common good. Go ahead..call me a homophobe....I am not against gay people, in fact i know several as friends, but all this BS about "Gay marriage" is ridiculous. whats the big thrill over having a piece of paper? Does it really change anything? Will gay people love thier partner more? It seems like gay people dont care about shoving thier lifestyle down everyones throat. Because they are gay, everyone who is not MUST accept it 100%?
I for one, don't really care if homosexuals get married, it makes no difference to me either way. However, I do see it as a government intervention step that doesn't need to be made.

We have a separation of church and state in the country, and the state marries people. It doesn't matter if they are religious or not, and that should be the end of it. If a church doesn't want to marry two people of the same sex, then the state has no right to tell them they have to.

I don't think the states ceremony should have any religious overtones. The only place that says that homosexuality is bad, is in some religious beliefs.

And while gay marriage really doesn't effect me, I can sure as hell see how it would **** me off if I were directly influenced by it.

Old 07-28-2009, 02:33 AM

1,238 posts, read 1,414,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Please don't confuse religious nutjob conservative and social conservative.
Thats exactly what the social conservative party is made out of. Social conservatives are interested in maintaining the status quo. All of the things I listed, slavery and abortion etc, couldn't have been rectified by maintaining the status quo. Sorry if that offends you, but thats what social conservatives are all about. Fiscal conservatives, on the other hand, are a bit more logical.

Old 07-28-2009, 02:41 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,397,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickeldude View Post
Thats exactly what the social conservative party is made out of. Social conservatives are interested in maintaining the status quo. All of the things I listed, slavery and abortion etc, couldn't have been rectified by maintaining the status quo. Sorry if that offends you, but thats what social conservatives are all about. Fiscal conservatives, on the other hand, are a bit more logical.
That is your opinion, but clearly not fact, as I know social conservatives that do not fit your definition at all.

Old 07-28-2009, 03:07 AM

4,474 posts, read 5,416,122 times
Quote:
Its nice to know that these gay people put thier own selfish desires over that of the common good. Go ahead..call me a homophobe....I am not against gay people, in fact i know several as friends, but all this BS about "Gay marriage" is ridiculous. whats the big thrill over having a piece of paper? Does it really change anything? Will gay people love thier partner more? It seems like gay people dont care about shoving thier lifestyle down everyones throat. Because they are gay, everyone who is not MUST accept it 100%?
Just out of curiousity, how as any one of the many "gay" marriages in Massechusetts, for example, affected you in the least?

Old 07-28-2009, 03:18 AM

4,474 posts, read 5,416,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nxf124 View Post
Being a homosexual is a sin according to the word of God and I'll prove it. It's the act that's judge not the person committing the act.

Old Testament Proof:

Lev 18:22 Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind: it is abomination.

New Testament Proof:

Rom 1:26 For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature:
Rom 1:27 And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompence of their error which was meet.

1Co 6:9 Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind,
1Co 6:10 Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God.

1Co 7:1 Now concerning the things whereof ye wrote unto me: It is good for a man not to touch a woman.
1Co 7:2 Nevertheless, to avoid fornication, let every man have his own wife, and let every woman have her own husband.
1Co 7:3 Let the husband render unto the wife due benevolence: and likewise also the wife unto the husband.

Now I know these are parts of scriptures but pasting in the whole chapter is silly just read the rest for yourself because the whole chapter is relevant. I like gay's and lesbain's most are very nice, loving, and funny. But the fact of the matter is it's not the person it's the sin that makes them wrong.
Modern science disproves the bible once again.

Every expert in the peer review organization, the APA, agree on two things...

One, no one is quite sure how the mechanisms for homo- OR heterosexuality work.

Two, both hetero- AND homosexuality are perfectly natural, even if the latter is uncommon.

You cannot "hate the sin and love the sinner" because the "sin" as you mislabel it, is an inherent part of the "sinner". So please spare us your apologetic "gay-friendly" nonsence.

We are not a theocracy, theonomy, or even a theodemocracy.

Marriage has always been a g'ment institution in this Nation, due to English Common Laws that translated through our Founding and found their ways into our own Common Laws. As religious doctrine is disallowed (or supposed to be) from our Secular Laws, the foolish Christian notion that they own title to the term, or practice, of marriage is patently incorrect.

Don't like "gay marriage" don't have one.

Old 07-28-2009, 05:34 AM

3,849 posts, read 3,754,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
I for one, don't really care if homosexuals get married, it makes no difference to me either way. However, I do see it as a government intervention step that doesn't need to be made.

We have a separation of church and state in the country, and the state marries people. It doesn't matter if they are religious or not, and that should be the end of it. If a church doesn't want to marry two people of the same sex, then the state has no right to tell them they have to.

I don't think the states ceremony should have any religious overtones. The only place that says that homosexuality is bad, is in some religious beliefs.

And while gay marriage really doesn't effect me, I can sure as hell see how it would **** me off if I were directly influenced by it.
And I've never read nor heard anyone say they should. The issue has always been CIVIL marriage, not religious marriage. At the same time, no church should be telling the state that they "cannot allow" a gay or lesbian couple to marry.

Old 07-28-2009, 05:55 AM

1,025 posts, read 1,753,629 times
Quote:
Gay's make a big deal because of certain "rights" and status they heterosexual couples enjoy that gay's don't have the opportunity to enjoy. It's not about forcing church's to accept gay marriage.

If you are tired of hearing about, then let them have it. A gay couple getting married isn't bothering you or your children, so let them have rights and move on with your life. You wouldn't have to hear them protesting if neocons would just let them live their lives.

Old 07-28-2009, 05:56 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,403,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMcQ LV View Post
And I've never read nor heard anyone say they should. The issue has always been CIVIL marriage, not religious marriage. At the same time, no church should be telling the state that they "cannot allow" a gay or lesbian couple to marry.
Exactly,

I'm on your side, sorry if there was confusion.

Old 07-28-2009, 07:13 AM

10,503 posts, read 15,572,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxisMundi View Post
Just out of curiousity, how as any one of the many "gay" marriages in Massechusetts, for example, affected you in the least?
They haven't, you'll never hear an answer to that. At least not a rational logical answer. What you will hear is "The biiiiiiiible says it's wroooooooong." "God told me to think that way". That's about it. Good luck trying to have an actual decent conversation w/some on here, it's literally impossible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies