Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2009, 02:08 PM

5,922 posts, read 8,066,605 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinalsay View Post
people like me? think not. you also failed to address the fact that one can't live in 1860, yet be a forward thinking progressive. I must have hit a nerve.
I make a policy to allow scum sucking chickenhawks to live free in our country. Those of us who served did so to protect freedom of expression no matter how vile and cowardly that expression might be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2009, 02:12 PM

Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
4,196 posts, read 5,843,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
I make a policy to allow scum sucking chickenhawks to live free in our country. Those of us who served did so to protect freedom of expression no matter how vile and cowardly that expression might be.
so your answer is that you have no answer for being a walking contradiction. I guess all you have to do nowadays is fire off a liberal catch phrase like "chickenhawk," and that makes the fact that you can't defend your own position OK.

Old 05-25-2009, 02:14 PM

142 posts, read 221,967 times
Quote:
What they were was traitors to the United States.
The south left the United States because the United States was destroying the constituion. The North started the war. The confederate soldiers also fought in previous wars for the United States. The Confederates were also Americans. The war was brother vs brother, American vs American. One shouldn't hate either side. You shouldn't believe propoganda from the 1800s.

Old 05-25-2009, 02:15 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,608,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagran View Post
First sentence from your link: Memorial Day, originally called Decoration Day, is a day of remembrance for those who have died in our nation's service.
Thanks for the link and making my case.

The rest of your drivel doesn't mean squat.
*yawns* Come back when you can make an articulate and passably intelligent case, Sagran.

I have many northern friends who take a totally opposite view than I do when it comes to the War Between the States. I respect their ability to put together a coherent case. I might not agree with it, but I respect it. Especially in the fact that they are well-read and it encompasses more than the most feeble-minded arguments you put forth.

Oh yeah...I can't resist adding this one:

Camp Chase --Reading 3

And this one:

SUVCW Battle Flag Resolution

Anyway, I really don't have the time nor inclination to get into a pi**in' contest with you over this. I prefer save my ink for those who actually -- whether I agree with them or not -- can make a case beyond the sophomoric drivel that Southerners were the epitome of all evil....

Old 05-25-2009, 02:24 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,425,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
*yawns* Come back when you can make an articulate and passably intelligent case, Sagran.

I have many northern friends who take a totally opposite view than I do when it comes to the War Between the States. I respect their ability to put together a coherent case. I might not agree with it, but I respect it. Especially in the fact that they are well-read and it encompasses more than the most feeble-minded arguments you put forth.

Oh yeah...I can't resist adding this one:

Camp Chase --Reading 3

And this one:

SUVCW Battle Flag Resolution

Anyway, I really don't have the time nor inclination to get into a pi**in' contest with you over this. I prefer save my ink for those who actually -- whether I agree with them or not -- can make a case beyond the sophomoric drivel that Southerners were the epitome of all evil....
You say you "read" all those books. You have done nothing but show your reading comprehension skills are limited so I'm going to guess there were a lot of pictures in them.

I am not discussing the war, I am discussing the issue in the OP -- honoring the dead of the Confederate States of America on Memorial Day.

I made no comments even remotely suggesting that Southerners are the epitome of all evil, I said the Confederacy was at war against the United States and therefore their soldiers are not the soldier who are to be honored on Memorial Day (a fact that you generously provided a link to support).

Considering how much you read into my short, simple posts, there's no telling what you read into those books you say you read. Your credibility has been compromised.

Old 05-25-2009, 02:50 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,608,184 times
Quote:
You say you "read" all those books. You have done nothing but show your reading comprehension skills are limited so I'm going to guess there were a lot of pictures in them.
LOL Are you really reduced to making an argument revolving around such sophomoric sarcasm?

Quote:
I am not discussing the war, I am discussing the issue in the OP -- honoring the dead of the Confederate States of America on Memorial Day.
Strangely enough though, you brought up why they should not be so honored. Which makes it a legitimate point to debate/discuss.

Quote:
I made no comments even remotely suggesting that Southerners are the epitome of all evil, I said the Confederacy was at war against the United States and therefore their soldiers are not the soldier who are to be honored on Memorial Day (a fact that you generously provided a link to support).

We must have read different links. Or perhaps it is "reading comprehension...?

Regardless, I DO concede one point to you. That is, no, you didn't say Southerners were the root of all evil.

What you did do was say they were not Americans. And that they were traitors (by implication). Yet offered not the slightest bit of proof for this outrageous slander... Nor refuted anything offered in counter-point...

Quote:
Considering how much you read into my short, simple posts, there's no telling what you read into those books you say you read. Your credibility has been compromised.

LOL Welll, I will just put it this way, podner. I am perfectly content to let others be the judge of which of us made the more convincing and reasonable case. Fair enough?

Anyway, time to call it an evening. Five-thirty in the morning comes around awful early on a work day...!

Old 05-25-2009, 03:06 PM

4,301 posts, read 7,033,943 times
Quote:
1. Memorial Day is a federal holiday set aside to honor military personnel who fought for the United States of America.

If you can't understand that, I give up. I can't make it any clearer.
So all those that died 1775-1866 do not matter? There was no such country as the United States until the later half of the 1860s; prior to that, our country was simply known as America. That is why during the Civil War the North was not referred to as the 'United States' just the 'Union'.

Quote:
The South didn't have a snowballs chance in hell. Hard to win a war shooting cotton balls.
I can think of two instances at least where the South could easily have one;

1.) After the first battle of Bull Run. A march to a completely undefended Washington DC facing little resistance and capturing Lincoln.

2.) Gettysburg. Instead of trying to run up against Union forces on a giant hill, the Confederate army turns South and marches on DC, taking the city, capturing Lincoln, and ending the war. Had it not been for Lee's arrogance, this would have happened as opposed to Pickett's Charge...

There are actually several more opportunities, but these are really the only two I see as feasible.. You should try reading sometime..

Old 05-25-2009, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie117 View Post
So all those that died 1775-1866 do not matter? There was no such country as the United States until the later half of the 1860s; prior to that, our country was simply known as America. That is why during the Civil War the North was not referred to as the 'United States' just the 'Union'.
Whoa, do you need a history/civics class.

Did you ever hear of the Constitution of the United States, written in 1787, ratified in 1788, and after being adopted by the various states, went into effect in 1789.

This is the Preamble:
Quote:
The Constitution of the United States of America

We the people of the United States, in order to form a more perfect union, establish justice, insure domestic tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general welfare, and secure the blessings of liberty to ourselves and our posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.

As for the rest of your post, I think I'll skip it.
1. Clearly you are a wealth of misinformation.
2. I see it's about the Civil War and I really don't care.

Old 05-25-2009, 03:34 PM

[quote=TexasReb;8976589]LOL Are you really reduced to making an argument revolving around such sophomoric sarcasm?"
No, I'm just taking shots at you because it's so easy. I'm not arguing about anything.

Quote:
Strangely enough though, you brought up why they should not be so honored. Which makes it a legitimate point to debate/discuss.
The only point is that Confederate States of America soldiers did not serve the United States of America. There really is nothing to debate.

Quote:
We must have read different links. Or perhaps it is "reading comprehension...?
Oh yeah, it's your reading comprehension issue. You were either reading into my posts what you wanted to hear so you could start what I'm going to guess is one of your regular arguments about the Civil War or you were mixing up my posts with someone else.

Quote:
Regardless, I DO concede one point to you. That is, no, you didn't say Southerners were the root of all evil.
Oh, how very decent of you. I jump for joy.

Quote:
What you did do was say they were not Americans. And that they were traitors (by implication). Yet offered not the slightest bit of proof for this outrageous slander... Nor refuted anything offered in counter-point...
1. It was not slanderous by any definition of the word.
2. I never implied, you inferred. (That's called "reading into" something.)
3. I never said they were not Americans. I said they were not United States of America military, the people who are to be honored on Memorial Day.

I think it's pretty obvious they were USAns before the war, they were USAns after the war, but during the war, they served our enemy. You can't succeed from a counrty and then claim you are served in that country's military when your new country goes to war against that country.

And you can twist things and blow smoke, try to change the topic all you want, it doesn't change any of that.

Old 05-25-2009, 03:50 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,612,080 times
Quote:
2. I see it's about the Civil War and I really don't care.
For someone who don't care you sure have exhausted this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies