Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2009, 10:17 AM

646 posts, read 802,060 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
But a penal colony right? After the Revolution, the Brits shipped their prisoners to Australia.
You are correct,Georgia is where european prisoners were shipped.It is sort of like modern Florida with Cuban prisoners,but that is another subject.People want to say pro-confederates are anti-America but in the south we were leading the charge for AMERICAN flag burning amendments.Hardly un american. And you said stupid wars,I guess after watching the twin towers go down going to Afghanastan was a stupid war
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2009, 10:30 AM

820 posts, read 1,203,441 times
The Civil War is over. The POTUS handled this very delicate situation with grace and style.
I did not vote for him , but I can't deny that he does some --OK , many things -- very well.

Old 05-26-2009, 10:32 AM

18,358 posts, read 26,510,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagran View Post
Shouldn't shock anyone that Confederate soldiers aren't considered American troops (which is what I said, regardless of what you try to twist my words into). By definition, Confederate troops aren't American troops.
If they weren't Americans, then that means the Confederacy was a seperate country.

Old 05-26-2009, 10:47 AM

37,195 posts, read 19,232,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
If they weren't Americans, then that means the Confederacy was a seperate country.
Precisely.

Old 05-26-2009, 12:35 PM

5,922 posts, read 8,070,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Well, I do give you credit for being interested in the subject. However, you are very close but no cigar.

Prior to 1973 Texas recognized both Robert E. Lee and Jefferson Davis birthday as legal holidays. When LBJ died, the state legislature wanted to make his birthday a state holiday as well. Problem was that, at the time, the numbers were limited by law (that is, how many could be on the books). This was solved by combining Davis' and Lee's birthday's into one official holiday and expanding the scope and intent out to honoring all Confederate soliders. The date picked was January 19 (Lee's birthday) and it was named Confederate Heroes Day.

So far as April 26th goes, while many Southern historical groups within the state traditionally observed -- and still do -- a "Confederate Memorial Day" on April 26 -- it was never a legal holiday as in officially on the books on that particular date.

Sorry, RL, but Memorial Day thus called originally was established by local custom in the Southern states. In the Northern states, it was generally referred to as Decoration Day. Both regions honored their own, but it was not uncommon at all for each to also honor the other. Especially in the South where there were more likely to have been Union soldiers buried than vice-versa.

When what we now know as "Memorial Day" (interesting in itself that the general Southern terminology was used, don't you think?) was made an official federal holiday and adopted by all the states, it was intended to honor all the American fallen in all the wars. And it is admirable and proper.
{sigh} If your time horizon is a little broader than the world began in 1973, you'll find that Jan 19th is an observance that was added in the 30s. Of course you go back very far and "holidays" weren't necessarily "no work days." In the 50 through early 70s, Confederate Memorial Day was in April in Texas, Confederate Heroes Day was in January. I don't ever remember Jefferson Davis' birthday being a day off.

Old 05-26-2009, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary phagan View Post
You are correct,Georgia is where european prisoners were shipped.It is sort of like modern Florida with Cuban prisoners,but that is another subject.People want to say pro-confederates are anti-America but in the south we were leading the charge for AMERICAN flag burning amendments.Hardly un american. And you said stupid wars,I guess after watching the twin towers go down going to Afghanastan was a stupid war
No Iraq was a stupid war. Leaving Afghanistan to fester and the Taliban to resurge was stupid. We are at war with Al Qaeda and we do have to win that fight. Iraq wasn't a problem; it is now. Iran wasn't a problem; it is now. Pakistan wasn't a problem; it is now. Afghanistan was a problem; it still is.

Flag burning amendments, as pointed out by the Supreme Court's ruling on flag burning laws, is distinctly unAmerican. What is American is defending free speech.

Old 05-26-2009, 01:01 PM

646 posts, read 802,060 times
Quote:
No Iraq was a stupid war. Leaving Afghanistan to fester and the Taliban to resurge was stupid. We are at war with Al Qaeda and we do have to win that fight. Iraq wasn't a problem; it is now. Iran wasn't a problem; it is now. Pakistan wasn't a problem; it is now. Afghanistan was a problem; it still is.

Flag burning amendments, as pointed out by the Supreme Court's ruling on flag burning laws, is distinctly unAmerican. What is American is defending free speech.
I'm sorry but you can say what you want burning flags is un-american.I have to disagree,Iraq was a major problem invasion of Kuwait ring a bell.Pakistan was a problem with nukes,and is a problem.Now I do agree we let the Taliban resurge,but to not let that happen meant for the U.S to march into Pakistan and fight there surely you were not for that. I was we could have put an end to either war in a day,which meant killing numerous civilians

Old 05-26-2009, 01:14 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,616,607 times
Quote:
{sigh} If your time horizon is a little broader than the world began in 1973, you'll find that Jan 19th is an observance that was added in the 30s. Of course you go back very far and "holidays" weren't necessarily "no work days." In the 50 through early 70s, Confederate Memorial Day was in April in Texas, Confederate Heroes Day was in January. I don't ever remember Jefferson Davis' birthday being a day off.
*sighs in turn* Read carefully: January 19th was added in the 30's by the State of Texas as Robert E. Lee's Birthday. Jefferson Davis' was also added along the same time frame as a legal holiday in Texas. It was celebrated on June 3. They were two seperate holidays on two different dates, obviously.

In 1973 -- in order to make room for an LBJ birthday -- the two were combined into ONE official holiday to be called Confederate Heroes Day. The date chosen was January 19th...which was formerly the Robert E. Lee Birthday holiday.

All of this is clearly stated in the post above, or at least should have been easily discernable ala' that since Robert E. Lee's birthday was on January 19, and was recognized as a legal holiday prior to the creation of Confederate Heroes Day, then it should be obvious I included January 19th as having been prior established.

In any event, again as stated, while April 26th had been traditionally recognized as Confederate Memorial Day in Texas by many groups and communities, it was not an official holiday so specificially labeled on the books, as was the Lee and Davis birthdays, or the later combination of the two into the present official Confederate Heroes Day. The former was more like an observance day by custom and resolutions (state and local). Obviously, the intents are the same, but it is still worth noting that they are, in reality, two different days as per official legislative recognition and title.

Last edited by TexasReb; 05-26-2009 at 02:01 PM..

Old 05-26-2009, 01:54 PM

Quote:
*sighs in turn* Read carefully: January 19th was added in the 30's by the State of Texas as Robert E. Lee's Birthday. Jefferson Davis' was also added along the same time frame as a legal holiday in Texas. It was celebrated on June 3. They were two seperate holidays on two different dates, obviously.

In 1973 -- in order to make room for an LBJ birthday -- the two were combined into ONE official holiday to be called Confederate Heroes Day. The date chosen was January 19th...which was formerly the Robert E. Lee Birthday holiday.
I lived in Texas until the early 70s and I don't ever remember getting Davis' birthday off. Got a link that shows Davis's BD was an official holiday?

Quote:
All of this is clearly stated in the post above, or at least should have been easily discernable ala' that since Robert E. Lee's birthday was on January 19, and was recognized as a legal holiday prior to the creation of Confederate Heroes Day, then it should be obvious I included January 19th as having been prior established.

In any event, again as stated, while April 26th had been traditionally recognized as Confederate Memorial Day in Texas by many groups and communities, it was not an official holiday so labeled on the books, as was Lee and Davis birthday, or the later combination of the two into Confederate Heroes Day. It was more like an observance day by custom and resolutions (state and local).
April 26 was recognized as Confederate Memorial Day well up into the 60s. It was never a official day off as far as I recall.

You're arguing on one hand that because Texas doesn't grant a day off from work that April 26 doesn't qualify, yet on the other hand the early observances of "Memorial Day" in the South were completely ad hock and most never formally acknowledged, unlike the first official Union event in 1868 which set the date as May 30th. I guess consistence or not arguing out of both sides of your mouth at once isn't much of a priority.

Old 05-26-2009, 02:01 PM

Quote:
I'm sorry but you can say what you want burning flags is un-american.
I'll inform the justices of the Supreme Court. They will be surprised.

Quote:
I have to disagree,Iraq was a major problem invasion of Kuwait ring a bell.Pakistan was a problem with nukes,and is a problem.Now I do agree we let the Taliban resurge,but to not let that happen meant for the U.S to march into Pakistan and fight there surely you were not for that. I was we could have put an end to either war in a day,which meant killing numerous civilians
Yeah I remember Kuwait, and that Iraq ceased to be a problem after that. Bush in a alcoholic or drug induced haze and forget that his father solved that problem?

Pakistan a problem because of nukes? India a problem, UK, France, etc all problems? Funny when I was invovled with nuclear weapons programs, we never considered any countries other than the Soviets or China a problem.

The Taliban resurged because we gutted our resources in Afghanistan to deal with Iraq. We even tried to subcontract the capture of OBL, when we had him cornered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies