Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 03:31 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,616,607 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagran View Post
More of the same. I no longer find this conversation amusing. I'm bored with it.
Well, whaddya know...we actually CAN agree on something!

Quote:
One question: Do you always have to have the last word?
Naw, not always. Only with a certain genre of which when the shoe fits...?

However, in this case, absolutely confident and satisfied my points have been made and that will gladly and even eagerly offer our past exchanges up for public scrutinty and final judgement, I will -- in the sole interest of watering down the flames for fear if it is keep it, the thread will be closed -- agree to that your last post be considered the official "last word" as concerns our tangental tiff.

However, anything else as to original topic or other issues related to the WBTS brought up by either are open for discussion/debate...

Fair enough?

Now then, time to call it a night...

Last edited by TexasReb; 05-27-2009 at 03:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2009, 03:46 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,556,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backfist View Post
I don't really care if confederates were "transparent". No credit to them for being out front with their hatred.
I know your stance on this issue. I am glad that the President saw it otherwise and gave recognition to Soldiers that paid the ultimate price. I simply express professional recognition to them.

You have a great day.
El Amigo

Old 05-27-2009, 04:44 PM

646 posts, read 802,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagran View Post
It would seem that if the "radical republicans" won by a landslide, they were in the majority.

To call those who opposed Johnson the "radical republicans" would be incorrect. They were the mainstream Republicans. Johnson by that time didn't identify with either party and was trying to start a third party. Remember, Republicans were the liberals of the Time, Democrats -- the self proclaimed white man's party -- were the conservatives. It was the moderate and Radical Republicans v. Johnson and the Democrats.
The republican majority leaders were Thaddeus stevens and Charles Sumner who were very radical and had enough power they did not have to work with the moderates,so radicals did control the 1866 congress.Now Johnson did openly defy theses radicals so much so he told the southern states not to amend the 14th amendment.My point was which you left off was black codes were gone after this would never be used again

Old 05-27-2009, 05:08 PM

2,290 posts, read 5,547,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary phagan View Post
Once Lincoln was killed Andrew johnson was moving to slowly for the radicals so the election of 1866 radical republicans won the election by a landslide Johnson had no power over reconstruction any longer.The radical congress put military districts all through the south.They gave full citizenship to former slaves and the right to vote.Former confederates were stripped of the right to vote.The former slaves and carperbaggers thus controlled the government of southern states,they repealed all black codes.They would never be reenacted.
*Granting citizenship to people already born here was hardly radical.
*Black Codes were immediately succeeded by Jim Crow laws.

By the way, what did your parents do with all that special ed money?

Old 05-27-2009, 06:04 PM

646 posts, read 802,060 times
Quote:
*Granting citizenship to people already born here was hardly radical.
*Black Codes were immediately succeeded by Jim Crow laws.

By the way, what did your parents do with all that special ed money?
It is called radical reconstruction,they were called radical republicans,not my words it is what it is.Now smart one,would you like to talk a little history,Jim Crow laws,civil rights.What did you read one book and now you know something.

Old 05-28-2009, 06:14 AM

Quote:
It is called radical reconstruction,they were called radical republicans,not my words it is what it is.Now smart one,would you like to talk a little history,Jim Crow laws,civil rights.What did you read one book and now you know something.
A book??? No, no. I'm a middle-aged Black man, born to parents, grandparents and ancestors of the South. I/we know all too well, the truth. My family got the hell out during WWII in order to find opportunities that didn't become tainted by Jim Crow law and it's racist, segregationist supporters.

You confederate sympathizers can hide behind your "heritage" all you want. But you better d@mn well know that there are people much smarter than you who know the truth and who aren't afraid to tell it.

Old 05-28-2009, 06:58 AM

18,358 posts, read 26,510,277 times
Quote:
A book??? No, no. I'm a middle-aged Black man, born to parents, grandparents and ancestors of the South. I/we know all too well, the truth. My family got the hell out during WWII in order to find opportunities that didn't become tainted by Jim Crow law and it's racist, segregationist supporters.

You confederate sympathizers can hide behind your "heritage" all you want. But you better d@mn well know that there are people much smarter than you who know the truth and who aren't afraid to tell it.
The North was probably more racist than the South for a long time. Think the Detroit race riots, etc. It just wasn't as overt about it.

Old 05-28-2009, 07:01 AM

5,922 posts, read 8,070,661 times
Quote:
"Radical reconstruction " is Southern spin analogous to the stories of Sherman's march to the sea. Sherman burned properties where the civilian population was giving aid to Confederate troops, but to hear the Southern spin, he burned, raped, and pillaged all the way to the coast.

I also notice you like to spread the old canard about the South being incredibly wealthy before the war. Silly nonsense again. 1% was incredibly wealthy and 99%, especially the slaves, lived in abject poverty.

Old 05-28-2009, 07:11 AM

18,358 posts, read 26,510,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
"Radical reconstruction " is Southern spin analogous to the stories of Sherman's march to the sea. Sherman burned properties where the civilian population was giving aid to Confederate troops, but to hear the Southern spin, he burned, raped, and pillaged all the way to the coast.

I also notice you like to spread the old canard about the South being incredibly wealthy before the war. Silly nonsense again. 1% was incredibly wealthy and 99%, especially the slaves, lived in abject poverty.
Even Lincoln disliked the radicals. It's not a Southern thing to say Radical Republican.

Sherman in fact did burn/pillage everything in his path during his infamous march to the sea. An early example in this country of total war.

The South paid most federal taxes and in fact was the wealthiest portion of the country. That there was great inequality in wealth distribution is irrelevant. That was the case in the North too.

Old 05-28-2009, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
The North was probably more racist than the South for a long time. Think the Detroit race riots, etc. It just wasn't as overt about it.
You leap-frogged about 300 years of time in order to get to the example of Detroit.

I understand what you're trying to say, but historically and practically, it's just not accurate to say that the North was "more racist". There was and is racism in the North. But it wasn't "more racist". It was, as you rightly point out, less overt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies