Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 12:59 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,555,737 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by backfist View Post
From a different (yet equally relevant) perspective, President Obama had no business sending a wreath to commemorate the Confederacy. Sending a wreath to commemorate the Black Union Soldiers was a nice gesture, but I believe he went too far in trying to appease neo-confederates and their supporters and sympathizers.

Those post-war confederate traitors didn't just surrender and go away quietly. They enacted laws and ordinances that stripped every Black American of their rights to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. They were terrorists of the worst order, and to this day they defend all of that as simply part of their filthy "heritage".

Shame on President Obama for acknowledging them.
Was it only conferedate Soldiers who did what you wrote? No, in the north Blacks suffered a lot discrimination by the people that claimed were on their side. They simply were very smart the way they went about it. The South was very transparent on the issue.

You have a great day.
El Amigo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2009, 01:15 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,614,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagran View Post
You don't have to "discern" anything. I say what I mean, I mean what I say. All the spinning in circles you claim I do is you reading what you think I think into my simple, straightforward posts.
When someone specifically denies writing what it is later proven they wrote, then such is hardly straightforward.

As it is, if you want to start over from square one, we can do so. I have no problem with that. As I said, I am really not a hard guy to get along with....

Quote:
What are you talking about??? I must think what???
You sure do get confused a lot. Perhaps you should seek counselling...? Now then, go back and read all the exchanges which lead up to that reference, and then the mystery will be solved.

Quote:
You know everything, don't you? You can tell from my posts, who I am and what I do. Read that into them too, didn't you?
No, I don't. To be honest, I am really unsure as to how to build a time-machine. BWHAHAHAHA. But seriously, I am not even sure where you come by all that. When did I ever allude to who you are or what you do? (but on that topic, see below).

Quote:
I've worked with teachers with personalities like yours. They're bad for the kids.
Well, then tell me what do you do? What are your credentials and expertiese as per above. I mean, lets see here...you have a history of accusing me of claiming to know everything about you (which is not true in any event)...yet are the one who started the sophomoric name-calling and now can say with confidence you know "(my) personality" and how it is "bad for the kids." So it seems to stand to reason someone so sure of their own superior knowledge in this realm wouldn't mind asnwering that simple question, would they?

Old 05-27-2009, 01:17 PM

646 posts, read 801,973 times
Quote:
From a different (yet equally relevant) perspective, President Obama had no business sending a wreath to commemorate the Confederacy. Sending a wreath to commemorate the Black Union Soldiers was a nice gesture, but I believe he went too far in trying to appease neo-confederates and their supporters and sympathizers.

Those post-war confederate traitors didn't just surrender and go away quietly. They enacted laws and ordinances that stripped every Black American of their rights to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. They were terrorists of the worst order, and to this day they defend all of that as simply part of their filthy "heritage".

Shame on President Obama for acknowledging them.
No you have that wrong.southern soldiers returned to their homes and farms which were torched,and looted.Women were raped by the freedmen and union soldiers and it was a brutal reconstuction period.Mississippi was the richest state in the union before the war and after the war the poorest.Southerners were not welcomed back with open arms it was hell.It was only after this did the south in the form of the ku klux klan fight these rapists and thieves

Old 05-27-2009, 01:21 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,427,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
When someone specifically denies writing what it is later proven they wrote, then such is hardly straightforward.

As it is, if you want to start over from square one, we can do so. I have no problem with that. As I said, I am really not a hard guy to get along with....

You sure do get confused a lot. Perhaps you should seek counselling...? Now then, go back and read all the exchanges which lead up to that reference, and then the mystery will be solved.

No, I don't. To be honest, I am really unsure as to how to build a time-machine. BWHAHAHAHA. But seriously, I am not even sure where you come by all that. When did I ever allude to who you are or what you do? (but on that topic, see below).

Well, then tell me what do you do? What are your credentials and expertiese as per above. I mean, lets see here...you have a history of accusing me of claiming to know everything about you (which is not true in any event)...yet are the one who started the sophomoric name-calling and now can say with confidence you know "(my) personality" and how it is "bad for the kids." So it seems to stand to reason someone so sure of their own superior knowledge in this realm wouldn't mind asnwering that simple question, would they?
More of the same. I no longer find this conversation amusing. I'm bored with it.

One question: Do you always have to have the last word?

Old 05-27-2009, 01:56 PM

5,922 posts, read 8,069,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary phagan View Post
No you have that wrong.southern soldiers returned to their homes and farms which were torched,and looted.Women were raped by the freedmen and union soldiers and it was a brutal reconstuction period.Mississippi was the richest state in the union before the war and after the war the poorest.Southerners were not welcomed back with open arms it was hell.It was only after this did the south in the form of the ku klux klan fight these rapists and thieves
What total BS.

Old 05-27-2009, 02:06 PM

4,897 posts, read 8,321,155 times
Confederates were all traitors who committed treason. Screw them all.

Old 05-27-2009, 02:31 PM

2,290 posts, read 5,546,723 times
Quote:
Here's an example of Black Codes immediately after the 13th Amendment (abolition). It's got some fancy language, so you might have to ask for help:

"Negroes must make annual contracts for their labor in writing; if they should run away from their tasks, they forfeited their wages for the year. Whenever it was required of them they must present licenses (in a town from the mayor; elsewhere from a member of the board of police of the beat) citing their places of residence and authorizing them to work. Fugitives from labor were to be arrested and carried back to their employers. Five dollars a head and mileage would be allowed such negro catchers. It was made a misdemeanor, punishable with fine or imprisonment, to persuade a freedman to leave his employer, or to feed the runaway. Minors were to be apprenticed, if males until they were twenty-one, if females until eighteen years of age. Such corporal punishment as a father would administer to a child might be inflicted upon apprentices by their masters. Vagrants were to be fined heavily, and if they could not pay the sum, they were to be hired out to service until the claim was satisfied. Negroes might not carry knives or firearms unless they were licensed so to do. It was an offence, to be punished by a fine of $50 and imprisonment for thirty days, to give or sell intoxicating liquors to a negro. When negroes could not pay the fines and costs after legal proceedings, they were to be hired at public outcry by the sheriff to the lowest bidder...."

"In South Carolina persons of color contracting for service were to be known as "servants," and those with whom they contracted, as "masters." On farms the hours of labor would be from sunrise to sunset daily, except on Sunday. The negroes were to get out of bed at dawn. Time lost would be deducted from their wages, as would be the cost of food, nursing, etc., during absence from sickness. Absentees on Sunday must return to the plantation by sunset. House servants were to be at call at all hours of the day and night on all days of the week. They must be "especially civil and polite to their masters, their masters' families and guests," and they in return would receive "gentle and kind treatment." Corporal and other punishment was to be administered only upon order of the district judge or other civil magistrate. A vagrant law of some severity was enacted to keep the negroes from roaming the roads and living the lives of beggars and thieves."

Old 05-27-2009, 02:33 PM

2,290 posts, read 5,546,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elamigo View Post
Was it only conferedate Soldiers who did what you wrote? No, in the north Blacks suffered a lot discrimination by the people that claimed were on their side. They simply were very smart the way they went about it. The South was very transparent on the issue.

You have a great day.
El Amigo
I don't really care if confederates were "transparent". No credit to them for being out front with their hatred.

Old 05-27-2009, 03:08 PM

646 posts, read 801,973 times
Quote:
Here's an example of Black Codes immediately after the 13th Amendment (abolition). It's got some fancy language, so you might have to ask for help:

"Negroes must make annual contracts for their labor in writing; if they should run away from their tasks, they forfeited their wages for the year. Whenever it was required of them they must present licenses (in a town from the mayor; elsewhere from a member of the board of police of the beat) citing their places of residence and authorizing them to work. Fugitives from labor were to be arrested and carried back to their employers. Five dollars a head and mileage would be allowed such negro catchers. It was made a misdemeanor, punishable with fine or imprisonment, to persuade a freedman to leave his employer, or to feed the runaway. Minors were to be apprenticed, if males until they were twenty-one, if females until eighteen years of age. Such corporal punishment as a father would administer to a child might be inflicted upon apprentices by their masters. Vagrants were to be fined heavily, and if they could not pay the sum, they were to be hired out to service until the claim was satisfied. Negroes might not carry knives or firearms unless they were licensed so to do. It was an offence, to be punished by a fine of $50 and imprisonment for thirty days, to give or sell intoxicating liquors to a negro. When negroes could not pay the fines and costs after legal proceedings, they were to be hired at public outcry by the sheriff to the lowest bidder...."

"In South Carolina persons of color contracting for service were to be known as "servants," and those with whom they contracted, as "masters." On farms the hours of labor would be from sunrise to sunset daily, except on Sunday. The negroes were to get out of bed at dawn. Time lost would be deducted from their wages, as would be the cost of food, nursing, etc., during absence from sickness. Absentees on Sunday must return to the plantation by sunset. House servants were to be at call at all hours of the day and night on all days of the week. They must be "especially civil and polite to their masters, their masters' families and guests," and they in return would receive "gentle and kind treatment." Corporal and other punishment was to be administered only upon order of the district judge or other civil magistrate. A vagrant law of some severity was enacted to keep the negroes from roaming the roads and living the lives of beggars and thieves."
Once Lincoln was killed Andrew johnson was moving to slowly for the radicals so the election of 1866 radical republicans won the election by a landslide Johnson had no power over reconstruction any longer.The radical congress put military districts all through the south.They gave full citizenship to former slaves and the right to vote.Former confederates were stripped of the right to vote.The former slaves and carperbaggers thus controlled the government of southern states,they repealed all black codes.They would never be reenacted.

Old 05-27-2009, 03:21 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,427,704 times
Quote:
Once Lincoln was killed Andrew johnson was moving to slowly for the radicals so the election of 1866 radical republicans won the election by a landslide Johnson had no power over reconstruction any longer.
It would seem that if the "radical republicans" won by a landslide, they were in the majority.

To call those who opposed Johnson the "radical republicans" would be incorrect. They were the mainstream Republicans. Johnson by that time didn't identify with either party and was trying to start a third party. Remember, Republicans were the liberals of the Time, Democrats -- the self proclaimed white man's party -- were the conservatives. It was the moderate and Radical Republicans v. Johnson and the Democrats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies