Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 09:34 PM

2,984 posts, read 5,857,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Drug testing is expensive. A lot of companies do the minimum that allows them an insurance break...after initial pre-hire testing, it's usually just done if there is an accident anymore. And even in random tests the average meth idiot or drunk has a better chance of passing than an occasional smoker. Not my problem anymore, though. But as an employer I'd prefer someone who smokes a little weed now and then rather than someone who does meth or has a drinking problem.
Even when they are charged with operating buses, trains and other equipment? I just don't agree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2009, 09:36 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,394,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stac2007 View Post
How does one regulate a person who uses pot or any other drug without caution or reason? Human beings have a pretty bad track record when dealing with reason or logic.
It is not so much regulating the person as regulating the way in which a person gets something.

For example, most Americans today buy their alcohol from liquor, gas or grocery stores. These stories to operate legally have to enforce laws about the products they sell and who they sell them too.

For example, these stores have to abide by minimum age laws and are only allowed to sell these products according to state guidelines. This would be the case for marijuana as well if it were legalized.

This would prevent marijuana from being a gateway drug because, these establishments, unlike drug dealers would not, in most cases and even if it were possible, illegally sell other drugs like opium and Meth. Thus the vast majority of the public seeking to purchase pot would not be exposed to these drugs the way they would be if they had to acquire their pot through an illegal drug dealer.

Additionally since such legal establishments, even with taxes, would be a cheaper and safer way to buy pot chances are by the laws of supply and demand, they would put out of business street marijuana dealers selling a more expensive, illegal and inferior product. Thus most citizens seeking to get pot would not involve the black market and when purchasing pot would not have the oppertunity to buy other drugs, excluding alcohol and tobacco, as such pot would not be a gateway drug because it would no long be associated with still illegal drugs on the supply side. I hope this answers your question.

Old 06-19-2009, 09:37 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,730,484 times
Quote:
Even when they are charged with operating buses, trains and other equipment? I just don't agree.
Don't agree with what?

I'd rather have an occasional weed smoker driving my bus than someone with a huge alcohol hangover or a meth freak.

Old 06-19-2009, 09:37 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,563,119 times
It's interesting to read people like Nomander who try to claim intellectual superiority while stooping to ad hominem attacks. Weaksauce.

Old 06-19-2009, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
It is not so much regulating the person as regulating the way in which a person gets something.

For example, most Americans today buy their alcohol from liquor, gas or grocery stores. These stories to operate legally have to enforce laws about the products they sell and who they sell them too.

For example, these stores have to abide by minimum age laws and are only allowed to sell these products according to state guidelines. This would be the case for marijuana as well if it were legalized.

This would prevent it from being a gateway drug because, these establishments, unlike drug dealers would not, in most case and even if it were possible, illegally sell other drugs like opium and Meth. Thus the vast majority of the public seeking to purchase pot would not be exposed to these drugs the way they would be if they had to acquire their pot through an illegal drug dealer.

Additionally since such legal establishments, even with taxes, would be a cheaper and safer way to buy pot chances are by the laws of supply and demand, they would put out of business street marijuana dealers selling a more expensive, illegal and inferior product. Thus most citizens seeking to get pot would not involve the black market and when purchasing pot would not have the oppertunity to buy other drugs, excluding alcohol and tobacco, as such pot would not be a gateway drug because it would no long be associated with still illegal drugs on the supply side. I hope this answers your question.
I am not buying the argument that legalizing pot will curb the large amount of illegal selling of a substance which in its addictedness can not be regulated by irresponsible users.

Old 06-19-2009, 09:42 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,563,119 times
Quote:
I am not buying the argument that legalizing pot will curb the large amount of illegal selling of a substance which in its addictedness can not be regulated by irresponsible users.
What the hell is "addictedness?"

Old 06-19-2009, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Don't agree with what?

I'd rather have an occasional weed smoker driving my bus than someone with a huge alcohol hangover or a meth freak.
I've already been warned about saying too much by the moderator so I am just going to leave it here. The 1st amendment does not exist every where.

Old 06-19-2009, 09:43 PM

Quote:
I do.

I live in a place where it's legal and this is a pretty damned strong society.

Old 06-19-2009, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
I was wondering the same thing.

Old 06-19-2009, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
The degree in which a controlled substance can make a person addicted by general and frequent use. Its one of the reasons why pot is considered a gateway drug.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies