Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 04:16 PM

7,923 posts, read 8,848,514 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
He thought he was frick'n brilliant when he said it, he probably had to have it explained to him after that puppet show was over.
Who explained it to you??????????? LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2009, 04:18 PM

4,657 posts, read 8,713,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
What he is purposing is giving healthcare to people who can't afford it for themselves. If your employer gives you healthcare, or you buy it yourself, and you are happy with it then you can keep what you have.

The "post office" example was used to argue against the, "Insurance companies can't compete with the government" argument. I felt it was a good example.

People with no insurance will probably be happy with whatever they get. I know if I had no insurance, that I'd be happy with something, rather than nothing.
Why would your employer continue to provide insurance for you, when the government will offer it? Honestly?

Old 08-12-2009, 04:19 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,442,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevcrawford View Post

You're bending over backwards to try and spin this, but unless you're a really good video editor, the video of him putting his foot in his mouth will always be there.

Kudos for trying though. Not sure why SO many people are doing anything they can to defend this. What does this man have on you people?
Why are you bending over backwards to misrepresent what I'm saying, in much the same way the OPer is bending over backwards to misrepresent what the President said?

I very clearly said, "Now, if you want to discuss what he actually said, I'm willing to concede that he should've stopped talking after pointing out that UPS and FedEx are competing just fine."

So why don't you acknowledge the fact that the USPS is operating at a PROFIT, and the allegation that the President saying it had "problems", isn't remotely the same as him allegedly saying they were operating at a "huge deficit" or that it's "extremely inefficient and poorly run"?

He didn't say any of that. It's a flat out, made up falsehood. It's ridiculous to admit out of one side of your mouth that you've paraphrased him, then go on out of the other side, to make up some nonsense like, "he went out of his way to point out. . ." something that he did not even come close to saying.

If you guys would quit lying and making things up, perhaps we could all get around to having a reasonable conversation.

Old 08-12-2009, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
Why are you bending over backwards to misrepresent what I'm saying, in much the same way the OPer is bending over backwards to misrepresent what the President said?

I very clearly said, "Now, if you want to discuss what he actually said, I'm willing to concede that he should've stopped talking after pointing out that UPS and FedEx are competing just fine."

So why don't you acknowledge the fact that the USPS is operating at a PROFIT, and the allegation that the President saying it had "problems", isn't remotely the same as him allegedly saying they were operating at a "huge deficit" or that it's "extremely inefficient and poorly run"?

He didn't say any of that. It's a flat out, made up falsehood. It's ridiculous to admit out of one side of your mouth that you've paraphrased him, then go on out of the other side, to make up some nonsense like, "he went out of his way to point out. . ." something that he did not even come close to saying.

If you guys would quit lying and making things up, perhaps we could all get around to having a reasonable conversation.
Strong accusation, specifics please?

Old 08-12-2009, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise View Post
Why would your employer continue to provide insurance for you, when the government will offer it? Honestly?
Employers in the UK do NOT have the burden of sorting out employees health care. It is not their job to get employees health cover so they can concentrate on running the business and putting their profits into lower prices and higher wages. A UHC means that the burden of health cover is NOT with employers.

Old 08-12-2009, 04:26 PM

23,173 posts, read 26,207,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post

Ahem....
US Post Office To Run $7 Billion Deficit In 2009

Old 08-12-2009, 04:26 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,396,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise View Post
Well, my employer would because they'd probably pay more having to pay out an 8 percent tax then they would helping us with our company policy. Also, if you want the best talent, you have to pay and provide better. If they cancelled our health plans, I'm sure another company would be more than willing to provide us with our own healthcare plan, to gain our talent pool.

Old 08-12-2009, 04:27 PM

23,173 posts, read 26,207,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
Employers in the UK do NOT have the burden of sorting out employees health care. It is not their job to get employees health cover so they can concentrate on running the business and putting their profits into lower prices and higher wages. A UHC means that the burden of health cover is NOT with employers.
You keep talking about the UK
Am I on the wrong forum?

Old 08-12-2009, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Ahem....
US Post Office To Run $7 Billion Deficit In 2009
Maybe if we used letter writing instead of emails etc we'd have a succesful potal service. Not Obama or Bush's fault that we are all becoming lazy and using technology for communication instead of letters.

Old 08-12-2009, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
Not sure why you quoted me since I was quoting Memphis, who wrote this:

If your employer gives you healthcare, or you buy it yourself, and you are happy with it then you can keep what you have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies