Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 04:34 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,439,670 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise
Strong accusation, specifics please?
Sure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise View Post

Yesterday during his lovefest in Portsmouth he addressed a concern of many of us. He said, and I'm paraphrasing, "Many people question how private insurance can compete with government run healthcare. Well look at FedEx and UPS, they're doing great, and it's the post office that's doing really bad. No seriously, the post office is running up huge deficits and the private companies, fedEx and UPS are competing really well."
BARACK OBAMA: "I mean, if you think about -- if you think about it, UPS and FedEx are doing just fine, right? No, they are. It's the Post Office that's always having problems."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise

He actually said this and I'm utterly confused.
BARACK OBAMA: "I mean, if you think about -- if you think about it, UPS and FedEx are doing just fine, right? No, they are. It's the Post Office that's always having problems."

Quote:

Either way, he went out of his way to point out that a government run entity was extremely inefficient and poorly run and that private competitors were kicking the government run ones butt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2009, 04:41 PM

4,657 posts, read 8,712,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
Sure. BARACK OBAMA: "I mean, if you think about -- if you think about it, UPS and FedEx are doing just fine, right? No, they are. It's the Post Office that's always having problems." BARACK OBAMA: "I mean, if you think about -- if you think about it, UPS and FedEx are doing just fine, right? No, they are. It's the Post Office that's always having problems."

I already specified that I was paraphrasing, and the gist of what I wrote was true, and you already concede this. Yet now you call me a liar to fit your agenda. Stay classy Jill, stay classy.

Old 08-12-2009, 04:47 PM

23,173 posts, read 26,197,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
Sure. BARACK OBAMA: "I mean, if you think about -- if you think about it, UPS and FedEx are doing just fine, right? No, they are. It's the Post Office that's always having problems." BARACK OBAMA: "I mean, if you think about -- if you think about it, UPS and FedEx are doing just fine, right? No, they are. It's the Post Office that's always having problems."

Well, we thought about it

Old 08-12-2009, 04:48 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,439,670 times
Quote:

I already specified that I was paraphrasing, and the gist of what I wrote was true, and you already concede this. Yet now you call me a liar to fit your agenda. Stay classy Jill, stay classy.
No. First of all, I conceded nothing of the sort.

Secondly, you acknowledged your first quote was a paraphrase, then went on to claim "he actually said this," then further went on to claim "he went out of his way" to say more things that he absolutely did not say.

The GIST of what you wrote was completely devoid of any facts and not even REMOTELY close to what he said.

I'm saying you're making things up because you're making things up. But keep on making things up. Makes you look real classy, yourself.

Old 08-12-2009, 04:51 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times
Quote:
Not sure why you quoted me since I was quoting Memphis, who wrote this:

If your employer gives you healthcare, or you buy it yourself, and you are happy with it then you can keep what you have.
BTW, you never answered my last salvo.

Old 08-12-2009, 04:53 PM

89,017 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
His example was pretty funny, I suspect Obama wishes he could take that statement back.
See what happens when Obama has to speak for himself instead of reading what someone else writes for him off the teleprompter? Not the sharpest tool in the shed, is he? He just made a very strong case AGAINST what he wants. ROFL

Believe me, that comparison wasn't lost on the American public - almost ALL of whom have had horrible experiences with the inept bureaucracies of the USPS, <insert government agency here>, etc. Obama's handlers must have shi* bricks when he bumbled that out.

I can see the debriefing now - "...um... Mr. President... we won't be doing impromptu Town Hall Q&A sessions anymore. Just read the teleprompter and look all, you know, scholarly like..."

Old 08-12-2009, 04:57 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,219,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
See what happens when Obama has to speak for himself instead of reading what someone else writes for him off the teleprompter? Not the sharpest tool in the shed, is he? He just made a very strong case AGAINST what he wants. ROFL

Believe me, that comparison wasn't lost on the American public - almost ALL of whom have had horrible experiences with the inept bureaucracies of the USPS, <insert government agency here>, etc. Obama's handlers must have shi* bricks when he bumbled that out.

I can see the debriefing now - "...um... Mr. President... we won't be doing impromptu Town Hall Q&A sessions anymore. Just read the teleprompter and look all, you know, scholarly like..."
The problem is the GOP needs to better exploit him. I remember repeatedly seeing Obama provide great sound bites during the campaign, a lot of stuff the GOP could have used in the election.

But they really didn't do a good job of crafting a message. They need to sharpen their delivery.

Old 08-12-2009, 04:59 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,452,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
But the USPS has always been run as a non-profit and that is tough to do with fuel prices yo-yoing all the time. Also, they have to keep up with their retirement program for all their employees, and so on and so on. However, to operate these days as a non-profit they need to find out how to get more government money like ACORN, Public Allies and some of the other non-profits that get their money from AmeriCorps. I know this sounds like I am kidding but I mean it.
The USPS is a government entity, of course it is run as a non-profit. Do you think government agencies should be in it for profit? The USPS gets what Congress gives them and what they receive from their postage tax. If their costs increase, they increase the price of postage. So their is no excuse for this typical government incompetence. As the Affirmative Action President aptly demonstrated, is the USPS the kind of entity you want running health care in the US, deciding who lives and who dies when they can't even deliver something as simple as the mail?

Nobody gets money from AmeriCorps. AmeriCorps is another government entity that is funded entirely by the taxpayer, just like the USPS.

You truly need an education into how your own government functions, this is embarrassing that someone could be so misinformed.

Old 08-12-2009, 05:13 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
The USPS is a government entity, of course it is run as a non-profit. Do you think government agencies should be in it for profit? The USPS gets what Congress gives them and what they receive from their postage tax. If their costs increase, they increase the price of postage. So their is no excuse for this typical government incompetence. As the Affirmative Action President aptly demonstrated, is the USPS the kind of entity you want running health care in the US, deciding who lives and who dies when they can't even deliver something as simple as the mail?

Nobody gets money from AmeriCorps. AmeriCorps is another government entity that is funded entirely by the taxpayer, just like the USPS.

You truly need an education into how your own government functions, this is embarrassing that someone could be so misinformed.
Again,

If you don't want government health insurance, you are more than welcome to get your own.

If you don't have insurance, I'm sure you'll be happy with something rather than nothing.

Old 08-12-2009, 05:30 PM

89,017 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Again,

If you don't want government health insurance, you are more than welcome to get your own.
How is that going to work after the transition to a single payer system that Obama, Frank, and other Dems keep talking about?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies