Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2009, 08:34 AM

41,325 posts, read 45,025,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
You haven't read this thread or all the other ones about these "death panels", have you? Many people, at least on this board, actually think that, according to their posts.
Call it what you will. The language has been taken out, for a reason.

Obama's own words about an independent panel that will make "determinations" in the guaranteed rationing of HC is untenable.

Old 08-16-2009, 08:39 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,222,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post

Obama's own words about an independent panel that will make "determinations" in the guaranteed rationing of HC is untenable.
You all were ready to kill over the right to pay out of pocket for voluntary counseling. Yikes, okay then. It's not important to the bill.

Old 08-16-2009, 10:22 AM

8,299 posts, read 8,622,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reelist in Atlanta View Post
What you don't seem to understand is that people are only calling these 'death panels' to get people's attention. Nobody thinks that the government will 'pull the plug' on anyone.
Oh really? Senator Grassley seems to think otherwise:

YouTube - Grassley: We're not gonna let the gov't pull the plug on grandma

Old 08-16-2009, 10:23 AM

4,011 posts, read 4,433,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
Senator Grassley seems to think the opposite:
He says the opposite. He knows better.

Old 08-16-2009, 10:25 AM

4,011 posts, read 4,433,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Yeah, because the American public became hysterical after it was duped into believing a huge lie. There hysteric brought the process to a grinding halt.

Old 08-16-2009, 10:30 AM

8,299 posts, read 8,622,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagran View Post
He says the opposite. He knows better.
You're right! And that's what makes it so horrendous, especially because I doubt that many of the people in his audience get that. Same with Palin. All the audience hears is, "Pull the plug on grandma" and that's what the provision becomes.

Old 08-16-2009, 10:36 AM

1,718 posts, read 2,303,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickeldude View Post
You really didn't watch the whole thing did you? Or were you too busy screaming to actually hear anything? UPS and FedEx compete with the post office, and come out on top. I don't see how competition in a capitalist market can ever be considered a bad thing. Do you think the insurance companies will just go broke? Do you think they're hurting really bad now? Come on those guys are making TOO much money off of us and our (lack of) health, thats the problem. But when you have a public option, health insurance companies have to adapt to compete, which only helps the consumer (thats us)

I really don't know what you were watching, but it was probably on Fox News, which would explain the apparent ignorance as you most likely only saw what they wanted you to see. Obama explained everything perfectly, struck down the lies that conservatives have been pushing, and did it all in a mature and poised manner. I think thats the part you really don't like, someone could actually hear what they had to say!
The Post Office is losing money for other reasons such as e-mail and online banking.

Please tell me what can be done to allow a private company to compete with a government run non-profit? Yes, I watched the whole thing. Obama admits the guy had a good point and said proposals were being worked on.

So tell me, Mr. Wise Guy. What proposals are being worked on? What are they going to do that will allow a for profit insurance company to compete with a non-profit government run insurance company. Pray tell. Hope to hear back from you. Or perhaps you are just blowing smoke.

- Reel

Old 08-16-2009, 10:39 AM

5,554 posts, read 6,749,680 times
Glad it comes from Palin who's never been known to be on the ball. Thumbs up that it was she, of all people, who upholds this ridiculous concept. Gives us hope!

Old 08-16-2009, 10:43 AM

1,238 posts, read 1,416,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reelist in Atlanta View Post
The Post Office is losing money for other reasons such as e-mail and online banking.

Please tell me what can be done to allow a private company to compete with a government run non-profit? Yes, I watched the whole thing. Obama admits the guy had a good point and said proposals were being worked on.

So tell me, Mr. Wise Guy. What proposals are being worked on? What are they going to do that will allow a for profit insurance company to compete with a non-profit government run insurance company. Pray tell. Hope to hear back from you. Or perhaps you are just blowing smoke.

- Reel
What are you talking about? I literally just answered all of these questions... Right now the American consumer is being gouged by insurance companies, which is the reason it is such a lucrative business. Now if the private companies want to compete with a government run operation, then they need to improve their product and lower their prices. Someone came up with a word for this one time... I think it was... O yeah CAPITALISM. Insurance companies can get away with turning away sick people and over charging people because health care is a necessity, like oil is. If insurance companies were selling, lets say paper plates, they would go out of business in months because their product sucks and is over priced and people just wouldn't buy it. But people NEED health care, so insurance companies basically have a monopoly. But with a public option, insurance companies are forced to compete by lowering their prices and upping their product... Do you get it now?

Old 08-16-2009, 10:57 AM

1,718 posts, read 2,303,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickeldude View Post
What are you talking about? I literally just answered all of these questions... Right now the American consumer is being gouged by insurance companies, which is the reason it is such a lucrative business. Now if the private companies want to compete with a government run operation, then they need to improve their product and lower their prices. Someone came up with a word for this one time... I think it was... O yeah CAPITALISM. Insurance companies can get away with turning away sick people and over charging people because health care is a necessity, like oil is. If insurance companies were selling, lets say paper plates, they would go out of business in months because their product sucks and is over priced and people just wouldn't buy it. But people NEED health care, so insurance companies basically have a monopoly. But with a public option, insurance companies are forced to compete by lowering their prices and upping their product... Do you get it now?
I agree that there are problems with the current health care system and that the insurance companies contribute to the problem. That is not what I asked you. What I asked you is how they can compete with a non-profit organization. The insurance company can, indeed, lower prices but they cannot lower them down to cost. A non-profit does exactly that in addition to not having to pay taxes and other advantages.

Please tell me what can be done that will allow them to compete? What are the proposals that Obama referenced that they are working on. Either you know or you don't. It's ok to say that you don't know.

Thank you,

Reel
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies