Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2009, 04:18 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,762,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkTwain View Post
You should hang out on the C-D Religion and Philosophy forum, to loosen your mind up a bit. I have no qualms in discussing my opinions about the impact of religious beliefs on social and political issues.

Once a person gives up his/her mind to the notion that the basis of key human truths is to be found only in revealed (religious) sources, one can be convinced to do and believe just about anything.

What is always interesting is to notice how a religious believers picks and chooses which part of the religion's teaching to actually practice in daily life.

You also put quite a few sentences in my mouth, which is not how to effectively participate on this online forum.

I would be delighted if you could point out how I misrepresented your view.

By the way I am an agnostic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2009, 04:19 PM

4,714 posts, read 8,464,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Are you equating BRAINPOWER with intelligence? Or not?
No, brainpower means whatever level of intelligence one has.

Here is the sentence that I wrote:
"This means that BRAINPOWER needs to be deployed to do that work of understanding and implementing solutions."

Old 09-01-2009, 04:20 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,762,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Ya, like the quote above yours???.....how civil, how tolerant.

Righties want to STOP women from making their own decisions by using government interference( which they DON'T want for themselves)

=INTOLERANT

Lefties want women to have the basic human right of making their own choices without government interference

=TOLERANT.

If we criticize and laugh at their rather stupid choices that is OUR right.

Which post? All of mine have been quite civil.

Old 09-01-2009, 04:20 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,898,651 times
I've got to go. Walk the dog. Cook dinner. Pick up flowers at Sam's. Etc.

To everyone, it's been a pleasure letting me take the conservative side in this argument today. Kinda felt the same as when I defended the tea parties a few months ago.

I hope I haven't offended anyone.

Parktwain, I've spent my life in Southern Baptist conservative land. And I'm pretty liberal. A feminist. Pro choice. But I know that many of my own beliefs require a leap of faith. And I accord all leaps of faith the same due respect. There is simply too much we don't know about the world we live in to do anything less. Reason and intellect are the foundations for all progress, but they can only take you so far. At some point you have to make bets, guesses, take chances. And all require some degree of faith. Fundamentalism may seem like taking a step backwards to you. To me, it's just taking a road that bends a bit more than the road I've chosen. They may have to travel further to get to their destination. But like the road less travelled, sometimes it is the journey and not the destination that is important.

Old 09-01-2009, 04:22 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,160,558 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reads2MUCH View Post
Well, in response to your post about their lack of a college degree, let me assure you, a college degree means nothing. You can go through 4 years of college and still be as dumb as a rock. Perhaps these people are something like me, and prefer to learn through books and life experience. I know that I am a fairly intelligent person, and I have no "higher education". What I have is a vast reserve of knowledge acquired through years of reading, and the fact that I was an honor student throughout my entire school career probably helps some too, because before I left high school I had already taken several courses usually only offered in college. So basically what I am saying is, you can't measure a person's intelligence by their school record.

As for their father's wishes for them when they get older, he really doesn't have a say in what they choose to do as adults. If these kids want it bad enough, they will work hard, acquire a scholarship, and go to whatever college they please and become whatever they want to become. Daddy won't have a say in the end."""

OH? How about that girl that was held and brainwashed for 18 years...these women , his daughters, will have been brainwashed from birth that all they should and could do is breed and serve men...that's sick...and INTOLERANT. The parents sound very INTOLERANT.

Quote:
""""And on the subject of the OP, I say if they can handle the responsibility and cost of raising these kids, more power to them. And I'm sorry, I don't think it's a bad thing that these kids have chores from an early age. Chores teach responsibility and discipline, something most kids are severely lacking in these days. And for those who worry about the number of children these kids could themselves produce, let me give you a little piece of mind. I know several people who came from very large families(12-15+ kids), and they all have a similar outlook on life when it comes to having children. They either don't want any at all, or they only want 1 or 2. Living with 10 or 15 siblings will do that to you.
Let's hope so...I hope some can escape!!!

Old 09-01-2009, 04:25 PM

Given that human existence in the universe doesn't come with an "owner's manual," human beings will make two kinds of errors: correctable errors and uncorrectable errors. It is better to make correctable errors that are subject to making "course corrections" based on gathering further information. Making uncorrectable errors time after time is a sign of dysfunction.

I don't like seeing avoidable dysfunction all around, and I'll bet you don't either.

Let's please get people together and address American society's challenges in ways that lead mostly to successes or to to correctable errors.

Old 09-01-2009, 04:26 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,160,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Which post? All of mine have been quite civil.
here it is...what does "above" mean?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday
No moron - YOU get a "clue"! This is a happy family - I know you don't like this fact but, it is what it is.

They love their children - again - you can't handle this fact

They love having children

They support their children - financially and emotionally. You leftist freaks want everyone on welfare though and you can't accept the fact this family is not on welfare

You probably would like the United States to have the Communist China rule of 1 child - you more than likely would force sterilize this couple

So it is YOU who needs to get a grip. This is a HAPPY FAMILY and they are NOT hurting you one little bit

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby
This is why Katiana. The objections from the right have been much more thoughtful. See post 182.

Ya, like the quote above yours???.....how civil, how tolerant.

Old 09-01-2009, 04:32 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,276,353 times
Here is my take on the bottom line of this topic:

First off, no one has the right to interfere with this couples right to decide how many children they want. If they want another 2 / 5 / 20 - that is THEIR decision.

Is there anyone here that truly wants to put limitations - governmental restrictions, as to how many children a family can have such as they do in China??

Then to this couples religious beliefs: Again, it is up to them to make those decisions. I'm reading others here trying to actually demean, not merely criticize but to actually demean their religious beliefs. To those who are non believers here - I don't see to many trying to demean YOUR beliefs or lack thereof. It is each persons right.

This family is happy. Yet there are those here who seem unable to accept this fact. While personally I went crazy with two kids , I can admire and give kudos to this mother and father who love their kids - all of them - and who are raising them in a home full of love. Who are instilling in them good solid moral values. Oh, perhaps not the same values some here hold - but, good moral values nonetheless.

I congratulate this couple - this family, not only on their upcoming new baby, but also on their upcoming Grandchild due in October!

Old 09-01-2009, 04:34 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,276,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkTwain View Post
Let's please get people together and address American society's challenges in ways that lead mostly to successes or to to correctable errors.

Would you support laws that would limit the number of children a couple can have?

Old 09-01-2009, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Would you support laws that would limit the number of children a couple can have?
Of course not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies