Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2009, 05:27 PM

2,170 posts, read 2,862,730 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
After 18 children, Michelle Duggar thought she knew what it feels like to be pregnant. But even she was caught by surprise to learn that just eight months after she gave birth to Jordyn-Grace, Duggar baby No. 19 is on the way.

“We are thrilled to announce that we found out we’re expecting our 19th child,” a glowing Michelle Duggar told TODAY’s Meredith Vieira Tuesday from the family’s home in Springdale, Ark.

Arkansas family prepares for baby No. 19 - Parenting & Family
Wonderful!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2009, 05:38 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,188,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherrenee View Post
Well, the Duggar's happen to be apart of my extended family, and we are all thrilled for them.
really? I mean is one more really that thrilling after they already have 18? Seriously wondering.

Old 09-01-2009, 06:22 PM

438 posts, read 947,390 times
Whatever. One more kid for the siblings to raise. No parent could give enough attention to that many kiddos.
Well, at least they're not mooching off welfare.
I would find life as a baby factory depressing. But to each her own.

Old 09-01-2009, 06:29 PM

730 posts, read 2,255,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskapat528 View Post
I think they need to buy a Television.
People- this poster meant this as a joke, as in they would have SOMETHING to do besides breed. I laughed.

And just in case you were wondering- yes, some of us Arkansans enjoy other hobbies besides popping out kids.

However, I don't believe they are receiving any public assistance. They are SUPER thrifty, did almost all the work building their home themselves to save, buy most things used, make their own clothing, shop at Aldi's, negotiate the price of EVERYTHING. As far a income, they have a car lot in the area, own & rent properties here, he is a politician, and they have a popular reality show on a major network. So yes they have a ton of kids, but they pinch pennies and have multiple sources of income. So as long as they aren't reproducing on my dollar- Congrats to the Duggars on living life the way they want to. Although- I have no idea how it could be enjoyable.

All that being said, I enjoy there show and regardless if they have 2 or 20 children I think they are good people & parents. It's just not for all of us.

Last edited by NOEM1226; 09-01-2009 at 06:38 PM..

Old 09-01-2009, 06:32 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,342,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
I don't think anyone is in a position to judge. I'd never have nineteen kids, but they made their choice, and they should be free to make that choice.

It's a lifestyle choice. Oh well.
I don't even pretend to understand the Duggar Mom's desire to keep having children. I do think that she has got to be one of the most fertile women in the world - she certainly seems to get pregnant easily.

Having watched more than one special on the Duggar family (I find them freakishly fascinating) I will agree that they are outstanding parents - if you're into Stepford-type children - and if anyone should have 19 kids, it's them.

Old 09-01-2009, 06:44 PM

730 posts, read 2,255,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan View Post
Uneducated people! I guess she didn't have to push too hard! Gross!
Their choice to have this many children is not mainstream, but they are not the barefooot backwood hicks that many think of when they think of Arkansas.

You may not agree with them, but if you knew much about them or watched their show you would find they are not ignorant or uneducated.

Old 09-01-2009, 06:48 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,364,927 times
Good for the Duggars! Congratulations!

Old 09-01-2009, 06:57 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,160,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
It's a vagina not a clown car...
LMAO

But, Ya, it's a clown car.

Old 09-01-2009, 07:32 PM

2,320 posts, read 2,560,865 times
They seem like sweet people, if a little feministically (my word! ) challenged...that is, the boys rule...anyway, what I mean to say is that, if they weren't promoting themselves all over tv, I'd say it's their business. But because we all feel like we know them, I want to scream STOP IT ALREADY. As sweet as they seem, it's beginning to seem a little...no a LOT ... creepy to me. That's just IMHO.

Old 09-01-2009, 07:35 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,066,456 times
It's certainly not for me, but good for them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
I agree. I do think it's a little odd (not in a bad way) that all they're kids are so compliant. I wonder what would happen if one of the girls said "I don't WANT to change his pamper. I don't WANT to give her a bath. I don't WANT to check his homework. I don't WANT to brush her hair. I want to read my book." I wonder what would happen if one of the girls decided that she didn't want to assigned a younger sibling to look after. I know all families have kids that do some of the work but at one point most kids rebel a little.
It's very sad that you think obedient children are odd these days.
I'm not sure about your household, but here (and we don't have 19 kids) children do not tell their parents what they will and won't do. I suspect it is the same in the Duggar household. A few times, when the kids were younger, we may have heard an occasional "I don't want to_______." to which I would reply, "I didn't ask if you wanted to________. I told you to do ________." They figured it out pretty quick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkTwain View Post
"In addition, the Duggar parents have ultra-conservative and very traditional parenting ideas. None of the family's female daughters are permitted to do typically 'male' activities, such having short hair, wearing pants or attending college. The Duggars follow the teachings of Bill Gothard, which include that children not go to college, children should not leave the home until they are married, families do not use birth control and refuse many forms of pre-natal care, stringent social conservatism (including ideas such as young-earth creationism) is strictly enforced and taught at a young age, and gender roles are adhered to."

Duggar family - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And then there's this testimony of an ex-Gothardite:
Independent Spirits: content / newbie... (http://independentspirits.net/e107_plugins/content/content.php?content.32 - broken link)
Seriously, Wiki is your source? And an anonymous blog post on some obscure forum? I bet even the (uneducated) Duggar's would know not to rely on such sources as fact.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitokenshi View Post
If I do recall they were about to be kicked out of the home they were renting. Had TLC not stepped in they would have been screwed. If it wasn't for the fact they had kids they would never have had a show, books,etc. So they are using their kids for their better lifestyle.
If I recall, they sold their house and moved into a rental. The rental was sold and slated to be torn down for some other development, ...they weren't being 'kicked out' and I'm sure they would have managed just fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies