Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2009, 07:39 PM

4,714 posts, read 8,464,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCyank View Post
Seriously, Wiki is your source? And an anonymous blog post on some obscure forum? I bet even the (uneducated) Duggar's would know not to rely on such sources as fact.

I take you don't read footnotes, such as the REFERENCES to FACTS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2009, 07:40 PM

5,168 posts, read 11,443,007 times
closed for mod review
I will reopen. Further personal attacks will result in infractions, so please discuss the topic, without insulting other posters!
Than you.

forum rules, please read them

Last edited by katzenfreund; 09-01-2009 at 08:09 PM..

Old 09-01-2009, 08:19 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,325,114 times
Shrug.
I'm hardly impressed. It's not difficult to get pregnant and give birth, other animals (besides humans) do it all the time. If they actually raised the children, I'd be impressed. The older ones raise the younger ones. It's more of a school or commune than a family. Happy they're getting their 15 minutes.

Old 09-01-2009, 08:51 PM

1,230 posts, read 3,177,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCyank View Post
It's certainly not for me, but good for them.
It's very sad that you think obedient children are odd these days.
I'm not sure about your household, but here (and we don't have 19 kids) children do not tell their parents what they will and won't do. I suspect it is the same in the Duggar household. A few times, when the kids were younger, we may have heard an occasional "I don't want to_______." to which I would reply, "I didn't ask if you wanted to________. I told you to do ________." They figured it out pretty quick.

Seriously, Wiki is your source? And an anonymous blog post on some obscure forum? I bet even the (uneducated) Duggar's would know not to rely on such sources as fact.
If I recall, they sold their house and moved into a rental. The rental was sold and slated to be torn down for some other development, ...they weren't being 'kicked out' and I'm sure they would have managed just fine.
This is what I was referring to... the information from Wiki is false.

The information about the girls not being allowed to go to college and wear pants (false).

Also the information about them being kicked out is false. They had a house in which they sold to Springdale Baptist Church and started building their house, the house wasn't complete and they needed to move out of the house that sold so they moved into the rental. They lived in the rental (which sold) which is why they had to step up progress of their house. I would say 85-90% of their house was finished prior to TLC stepping in.

Jim Bob and Michelle do expect their children to mind and behave (what a shocker in today's world), but they treat the kids with respect which is why they kids are willing to " just obey" . I have been around the Duggar's since 2000 I have never heard them yell at the children or seen them spank the kids. Yes they do spank but they do it in private so they do not embarrass the kid.
I have on many occasion seen Jim Bob and/or Michelle pull the kid away and speak with them privately about their behavior if they are acting up.

Last edited by sherrenee; 09-01-2009 at 09:15 PM..

Old 09-01-2009, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
Shrug.
I'm hardly impressed. It's not difficult to get pregnant and give birth, other animals (besides humans) do it all the time. If they actually raised the children, I'd be impressed. The older ones raise the younger ones. It's more of a school or commune than a family. Happy they're getting their 15 minutes.

I'm sorry but you are very wrong. Yes the older kids help what is so wrong with that? I suppose it would be better for them to be lazy, and not have a clue about how to complete real life task?
Michelle and Jim Bob are both very hands on parents, but of course you (used as a generalization, not you personally) wouldn't know that because you DO NOT know them personally.

Old 09-01-2009, 08:59 PM

The Duggars are fast closing in on an unfavorable "student:teacher" ratio. (worse than 20:1)

Old 09-01-2009, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
really? I mean is one more really that thrilling after they already have 18? Seriously wondering.
Of course it is thrilling, what kind of a question is that? What you are asking me is basically like me walking up to some random stranger who is excited about having say baby number three and saying "is it really that exciting, you already have two?".

Old 09-01-2009, 09:02 PM

Yeah, by having so many children the Duggars show me how deeply they feel that each human life is "special." They have to take a number to speak with the mother, I suppose.

Old 09-01-2009, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkTwain View Post
Yeah, by having so many children the Duggars show me how deeply they feel that each human life is "special." They have to take a number to speak with the mother, I suppose.

Not even close.

Old 09-01-2009, 09:23 PM

2 posts, read 4,221 times
Congrats to the family. It seems like the family can take care of its 19 children, so that's their business. However, I can only guess that raising 19 (!) children must really be a handful. Both of my parents grew up in large families (they both had 5 siblings each), and they both didn't want to have a big family themselves.

FYI, I'm politically moderate, so it's sometimes amusing to see "lefties" and "righties" going at each other.

I agree that that the "left" should stay out of other people's business (in this case, a very conservative Christian family that is raising 19 children).

But I also think that the "right" should stay out of other people's business too.

I am not personally attacking anyone, but many people with the same viewpoint as "GreatDay" and "Chatterbox", who have conservative Christian views, aren't always tolerant of others either.

For example -- Do a simple search on the CD forums with the words "gay" or "homosexual." Read what many of the social conservatives have to say. If you are against homosexuality for religious reasons, that is one thing.

But read the forums. You will hear (sorry, read) the same kinds of posters who cry "liberal intolerance" on this forum..........are the same posters who call gays & lesbians..........."homosexual activists", "forcing the homosexual agenda", "Sodom and Gomorrah", "NAMBLA", "child molesters", "pedophiles", "rapists", "deviants",........

Does that sound very tolerant?

And if gays & lesbians want to be honest about their sexual orientation and find a partner they can love & cherish (just like straight people do)...........then what comes next from "righties" are........"ewww", "keep it in the bedroom," and "go back to the closet."

Is that tolerant? Hardly.

Again, it's okay if many "righties" don't agree with same-sex marriage.........but why is it anyone else's business if a gay couple wants to be in a committed relationship (such as a civil union) with each other?

If "lefties" should leave conservative Christians alone and be "tolerant" towards them, then shouldn't "righties" also be tolerant towards gay & lesbians?

(Disclaimer -- I used gays & lesbians here as an example, but not all gays & lesbians are liberals. Some gays & lesbians are conservative as well).

I'm just saying that tolerance is a two-way street -- from "lefties", "righties", and people in the center.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies