Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2009, 06:45 AM

2,016 posts, read 5,207,280 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
While I don't understand the quiverfull movement, I don't have a problem with this. Matter of fact, I don't care how many kids a couple has, as long as no public assistance is needed. That's where I draw the line.
There are many people who don't understand the Quiverfull movement and thus don't have a problem with it. The Quiverfull movement was propelled by a book, "The Way Home", written by Mary Pride in 1985; the book blamed feminism and women working outside the home for all of society's ills in America. (The hypocricy in all of this is that Mary Pride has set up a thriving business both online and on the travel/lecture circuit as she sells her books and her other materials, thus building a home-schooling, Godly wife/mother $money-making empire. She works "outside the home" and makes A LOT of money while telling others to give up their careers or jobs and do without many necessities for themselves as well as their children). In any case, there is a definite political and religious agenda in all of this, including building an army of Christian soldiers for God as the belief is that there is a spiritual warfare going on between Satan and God and the more Christian soldiers that are borne for Jesus (God), the better. Women are vessels to be used for this and other purposes - all which serve the god of Fundamentalism and Legalism.

In addition, the Duggars are not just mere Quiverfulls, they are also disciples of Bill Gothard who is a piece of work himself. The reason the Duggars have not adopted children is because Bill Gothard admonishes and warns against adoption as the children who come from adoptions bear the "sins" of their parents within and will "contaminate" the rest of the family. This should answer the question of those who ask, "why don't the Duggars adopt." If anyone doesn't believe me, you are free to do your own research on Bill Gothard and read about him as well as those who have left his cult-like religion; they are still very deeply disturbed individuals who are having trouble coping with the real world. Most of these people were brought into it through their parents and left as adults when things got too much.

If you or anyone wants to read about how "Quiverfull" really is (for those that don't have a reality show and who's bodies and spirits have given up, can no longer keep having child after child after child - all based on "faith"), you can visit: No Longer Qivering â€Â¹(ô¿ô)â€Âº

There is also discussion there about the Duggars - nothing negative - just perhaps answers "why".

Last edited by Donna7; 09-03-2009 at 07:37 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2009, 06:56 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,383,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCyank View Post
LOL...you are so young and naive. It wasn't that long ago that a rolling your eyes at your parents was NOT normal behavior for most ANY child. Pouting....yeah, right. Kids who pouted got sent to bed without dinner or assigned extra chores....that pretty much ends the pouting. Not to say that such things never happened but they weren't tolerated or acceptable. Parents now days are pansies and so we have kids who roll their eyes, pout, grumble a lot and think what they want really matters and folks like you, who think that is normal behavior for kids. .
I don't what your issue is and why you feel the need to be so catty on an online forum but whatever. You don’t know me, you don’t know how I was raised so I don’t know why you feel the comment on "people like me".

Quote:
If you don't tolerate it from the start then it never becomes normal for your child. By the time my kids were 3-4 they also never said "I want" or "I don't want". It just wasn't part of our vocabulary. You wanna guess how many times they've rolled their eyes at me?? .
There were many times when my older brother had to take me places and he would often suck his teeth, roll his eyes, mumble and grumble because he didn’t want to. The majority of time it was done out of my mother’s presence but he still did it; as did I. I’m not saying I expect them to blatantly disrespect their parents but if a kid is playing and mom says it’s time to stop playing and they don’t want to stop you usually see a sign that they’re unhappy, even if it’s just a facial expression or a change in their body language as they put their toys away.

Quote:
Also, I have seen episodes where one or the other parent had to quietly take a child aside for a brief 'conversation'. I expect discipline issues in general are handled off camera. Just because you didn't see it on the show doesn't mean it doesn't happen. I've also never seen them use the toilet or shower but I'm pretty sure they do that too.
Again with the snide remarks for no reason. I've said I've only watched a few episodes but they all seem perfectly happy doing just about all of the parenting responsibilities for their younger siblings. I just think it's odd...I'm allowed to think so – is there some sort of rule that we aren’t allowed to think anything that might be construed as negative about these people?

Old 09-03-2009, 06:58 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,304,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NationalistLibertarian View Post
What facts did you state? Please show us. Only thing I saw was your hateful opinion.
Read the thread,Moderator cut: rude Specifically, my second post.

Last edited by katzenfreund; 09-03-2009 at 08:50 AM..

Old 09-03-2009, 07:00 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,304,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBoned View Post
welp, jesus always said to live long and have as many kids as you can. God has blessed me with 5 children so far and we are workin on about 7 more within the next 6 years. We got to build our army for god.
Why didn't Jesus walk the walk? Was he impotent or something? Too busy hanging out with the fellas?

Old 09-03-2009, 07:06 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,811,485 times
Some people have very strange hobbies.

Old 09-03-2009, 07:20 AM

4,507 posts, read 9,066,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
I don't what your issue is and why you feel the need to be so catty on an online forum but whatever.
Again with the snide remarks for no reason.
It may be a bit before your time, but good advice nonetheless. Don't dish it out if you can't take it.
Perhaps you are not aware that you also sound a bit snarky in some posts, you should not be surprised that folks respond in kind....it's too late for you to claim the high ground.
Quote:
It's very sad that you can't read.
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones
No, you're rude but call it what you like.
Quote:
There were many times when my older brother had to take me places and he would often suck his teeth, roll his eyes, mumble and grumble because he didn’t want to. The majority of time it was done out of my mother’s presence but he still did it; as did I. I’m not saying I expect them to blatantly disrespect their parents but if a kid is playing and mom says it’s time to stop playing and they don’t want to stop you usually see a sign that they’re unhappy, even if it’s just a facial expression or a change in their body language as they put their toys away.
And I'm telling you this is only normal because it is tolerated. I NEVER would have acted like that, even behind my parents back. DH never acted like that. My kids were not unhappy when I called them from play because they learned that there is a time and place for everything. They also learned that if they grumbled, complained, made a face, etc. then next time they would not get to play at all. They learned to appreciate what time they did have so they didn't consider their wants to be more important than obedience. Obedience actually gets them MORE of what they want so grumbling and seeming unhappy is counterproductive. I understand you weren't raised that way, most kids now aren't....but it works and you don't have to have fussy, whiny kids who roll their eyes and scowl....even behind your back. I suspect the Duggars are reaping the rewards of a similar parenting style and so you don't see the kids unhappy and rolling their eyes...it probably doesn't happen much, if at all.

Old 09-03-2009, 07:24 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,898,651 times
Quote:
This is not a issue of race. This is not an issue of welfare. This is about the Duggar family. They are not any other race and they are not on welfare so all hypothetical assumptions about what would be said if they were is off-topic.

It's very sad that you can't read. I've never seen a child that didn't rebel against what their parents wanted even once; rather it's saying you don't want to, rolling your eyes, pouting, whatever. I did what my mom expected me to do too but there were times where I mumbled and grumbled a lot because what she wanted me to do wasn't what I wanted to do. From the few episodes I've seen the kids don't seem to express "I want" or "I don't want" they just kinda do what's expected of them. .
When you were a child, did you pick your moments of rebellion to be ones that would be on camera and broadcast to potentially millions of people? The children probably have those moments, but when the cameras are there, they are probably on their best behavior.

Old 09-03-2009, 07:35 AM

Quote:
It may be a bit before your time, but good advice nonetheless. Don't dish it out if you can't take it. .
What advice have you given? All I’ve seen you do is make this a personal parenting issue about “people like me”. Besides I didn’t ask you for any advice nor did I dish any out to anyone else. I made a comment about my perception of the family. You don’t have to like it, agree with or even read it. If I bother you that much there is an ignore function – take advantage of it.

Quote:
Perhaps you are not aware that you also sound a bit snarky in some posts, you should not be surprised that folks respond in kind....it's too late for you to claim the high ground. .
I’m not trying to take a higher road but how do you expect me to respond when the first thing you said to me is an insult. That internet courage must be grand.

Anyway, it’s too early in the morning for me to actually care about a stranger’s opinion of me via an online forum so back to the topic. I think the kids constant perfect behavior is a little odd; (like I said earlier not odd in a bad way) it just doesn’t seem real, especially for the younger kids. Maybe it’s just the cameras or those parts aren’t shown during the shows or maybe there have been shown and I haven’t seen those episodes or maybe this is the only thing the kids know so it’s not an issue for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
When you were a child, did you pick your moments of rebellion to be ones that would be on camera and broadcast to potentially millions of people? The children probably have those moments, but when the cameras are there, they are probably on their best behavior.
That's what I just said in my earlier post - that maybe those moments just aren't shown or they don't happen on camera, which makes the show even less real. I'm not saying I want the kids to start acting like the ones on Nanny 911 but I do wonder what the reaction is if the kids don't all follow the plan.

Old 09-03-2009, 07:52 AM

4,507 posts, read 9,066,456 times
Quote:
What advice have you given?
Quote:
Don't dish it out if you can't take it.
As for making a personal parenting statement...it was more for you to realize that what you see on TV could be very realistic and that your limited experience is not enough to determine that these kids are 'odd' for not showing defiance to their parents. I am well aware that there is a broad range of parenting styles, not just how I was raised or how my brothers and sisters reacted...I was trying to get you to see the same thing, using personal examples. Do you not see that? You seem to have two points of reference..what you see in the Duggar children and what you experienced in your own family. I was offering a third.

Old 09-03-2009, 08:23 AM

Quote:

As for making a personal parenting statement...it was more for you to realize that what you see on TV could be very realistic and that your limited experience is not enough to determine that these kids are 'odd' for not showing defiance to their parents. I am well aware that there is a broad range of parenting styles, not just how I was raised or how my brothers and sisters reacted...I was trying to get you to see the same thing, using personal examples. Do you not see that? You seem to have two points of reference..what you see in the Duggar children and what you experienced in your own family. I was offering a third.
Again, I'm not really interested in making this a personal conversation. I said that I don't see they're behavior as a negative thing; just odd - odd as in different. I just said that I wondered what would happen if one of the 18 children in the home were to rebel against what they were expected to do. Since you have seen them pulled aside and talked to quietly maybe one or more of the children have expressed a desire to do something else besides go along with the program but as I've said before I don't watch the show regularly so I haven't seen it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies