Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2009, 12:07 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,448,201 times

Advertisements

You know what I am looking forward to??

When you have 19 kids, the chances are that at least one of them is going to be GAY. Now that would be TV worth watching. Of course it will no doubt take the poor kid a LONG time to crawl out of the closet.

There will be episodes of the Duggars trying to PRAY THE GAY AWAY, those will be my favorite. Then of course if its one of the boys and he starts wearing those terrible dresses his sisters wear that make them look as if they are from Little House on the Prairie.

Must see TV in the making.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2009, 12:13 AM

3,106 posts, read 9,127,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastelito de limon View Post
Whatever. One more kid for the siblings to raise. No parent could give enough attention to that many kiddos.
Well, at least they're not mooching off welfare.
I would find life as a baby factory depressing. But to each her own.
My grandmother, who was pregnant 16 times once told us, "I had 13 children...that is why I did not enjoy my life." We laughed but her eyes were tired and sad. Her children were born between 1926 and 1954 and had VERY different outlooks on life. The older children were expected to help raise the younger siblings - that meant the 4 eldest sacrificing for their younger brothers & sisters. I cannot even begin to explain the dynamics between the elder & younger siblings that gave my grandmother grief until she died at 93.

I hope the Duggars never have to experience a fraction of what my grandmother and others like her with large families had to endure.

Old 09-02-2009, 12:28 AM

3,004 posts, read 3,888,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sampaguita View Post
My grandmother, who was pregnant 16 times once told us, "I had 13 children...that is why I did not enjoy my life." We laughed but her eyes were tired and sad. Her children were born between 1926 and 1954 and had VERY different outlooks on life. The older children were expected to help raise the younger siblings - that meant the 4 eldest sacrificing for their younger brothers & sisters. I cannot even begin to explain the dynamics between the elder & younger siblings that gave my grandmother grief until she died at 93.

I hope the Duggars never have to experience a fraction of what my grandmother and others like her with large families had to endure.
My older sister raised me and my other siblings when my father abandoned the family and my mother fell ill for the duration of our childhoods. She and I are very, very close and always have been. She's my best friend. I'm sure she would have liked to have had a better childhood but I don't think the regrets come down to being forced into diaper duty (I was her happiness, actually), but rather, the overall depressive state of the family condition, and that there was no one there for her. One thing that is certain -- her life, at a very early age, had meaning. She was valuable and integral and she knew it. How many teenage children have that level of confidence in their abilities? That sense of purpose? She wasn't out trolling the malls wearing a **** outfit and hooking boys.

Please don't make assumptions like this. Children caring for other children can be meaningful, fulfilling, and FUN. I grew up around many large families and most of them were very happy, like The Waltons, seriously. Depression comes from somewhere else, then, and is not a given just because one grew up with responsibilities.

Old 09-02-2009, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chattypatty View Post
My older sister raised me and my other siblings when my father abandoned the family and my mother fell ill for the duration of our childhoods. She and I are very, very close and always have been. She's my best friend. I'm sure she would have liked to have had a better childhood but I don't think the regrets come down to being forced into diaper duty (I was her happiness, actually), but rather, the overall depressive state of the family condition, and that there was no one there for her. One thing that is certain -- her life, at a very early age, had meaning. She was valuable and integral and she knew it. How many teenage children have that level of confidence in their abilities? That sense of purpose? She wasn't out trolling the malls wearing a **** outfit and hooking boys.

Please don't make assumptions like this. Children caring for other children can be meaningful, fulfilling, and FUN. I grew up around many large families and most of them were very happy, like The Waltons, seriously. Depression comes from somewhere else, then, and is not a given just because one grew up with responsibilities.
Where did I make any assumptions in my post about the Duggars or any other family for that matter? Or about depression? I never even mentioned depression! I expressed hope that no one in the Duggar family would ever have to experience what my family did under their circumstances.

I was relaying my own family's experiences with having to raise 9 other siblings. My father had to start working in the rice fields and traveling by train by himself to sell at market when he was 10 yrs old to put food on the table for the family. He did not have the chance to even get to know his brothers & sisters as youngsters because he was always working.

It's a blessing indeed that you and your family were able to have a very happy life despite certain obstacles. Unfortunately, it's not that way for all families.

Old 09-02-2009, 01:18 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,448,201 times
I am beginning to think this woman has an addiction to being pregnant.

I also don't care for this pattern of having so many children, no matter their class, their politics or their religion. I just think its wrong.

I also think children should be allowed to be children, they should not have to be parents to their own siblings.

What the Duggars are doing to their children is selfish, pure and simple.

If you have so many kids that you have to star in a TV freak show to take care of them financially then you have too many children.

Old 09-02-2009, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
I am beginning to think this woman has an addiction to being pregnant.

I also don't care for this pattern of having so many children, no matter their class, their politics or their religion. I just think its wrong.

I also think children should be allowed to be children, they should not have to be parents to their own siblings.

What the Duggars are doing to their children is selfish, pure and simple.

If you have so many kids that you have to star in a TV freak show to take care of them financially then you have too many children.
BINGO on your first point...and so forth.

I think why they get so much more support than other "reality" stories is that they don't have the obvious drama of J & K plus 8 or the wacko factor of Octomom.

I do find the whole trend of parents parading their lives and children in front of TV cameras for a show totally distasteful.

Old 09-02-2009, 03:03 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,295,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Isn't that the same reason you oppose them?
I believe that no one should breed, under any circumstance.

I would like to see all males have a vasectomy at birth and reversible only after mental and financial stability proven and not before the age of 25, if at all.

Old 09-02-2009, 05:43 AM

1,230 posts, read 3,177,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
You know what I am looking forward to??

When you have 19 kids, the chances are that at least one of them is going to be GAY. Now that would be TV worth watching. Of course it will no doubt take the poor kid a LONG time to crawl out of the closet.

There will be episodes of the Duggars trying to PRAY THE GAY AWAY, those will be my favorite. Then of course if its one of the boys and he starts wearing those terrible dresses his sisters wear that make them look as if they are from Little House on the Prairie.

Must see TV in the making.

Your comment is way out of line. Why on earth would you wish this or anything else that could cause harm on any child. The Duggar's are apart of my family and no they would not be over the moon about having a gay child but they would accept them. As I have said many times until you actually know the family your assumptions have no grounds. Get to know the Duggars a side from what you see on TV or read, you might just very well be surprised. They aren't as sheltered and "dumb" to the world as most people assume they are.

Old 09-02-2009, 07:27 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,383,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
please do not lump me in with the intolerants. I am a liberal. I know that the Duggers are free to live as they want. I find a lot of it very odd, though, including the fact that their kids are so sheltered and uneducated that they wouldn't know another way to live. they have no choices in life.
Same here. Apparently, you're not allowed to have an opinion about a family who CHOSE to put themselves on television. Apparently, anything you say about them is construed as an insult.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherrenee View Post
Get to know the Duggars a side from what you see on TV or read, you might just very well be surprised.
How do you propose people do that? Are you going to invite them to the family reunion.

I really don't know why this thread isn't over on entertainment.

Last edited by nat_at772; 09-02-2009 at 07:38 AM..

Old 09-02-2009, 08:22 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,898,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitokenshi View Post
Never said I read anything just saying a lot of people assume they are happy. What you see and what you read are small snippets of their lives.

Uh sure they could afford them but in order to do so they had to cram them all into a one story small home and stretch every penny. TLC helped them with their new home. If it wasn't for the books, shows, and interviews they wouldn't be on those trips you see or get some of those products you see on their show.

It's kooky to know if your child will be able to deal with another child coming in? Yea, that's crazy.

They weren't living in the same house they rented a much smaller one story home I think with 4 rooms. Not sure google it but it's surely not the same home.
They were BUILDING this house. And I don't think they were renting before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies