Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Agree or disagree: Society would be better off if women stayed out of the workplace
Strongly agree 34 12.93%
Mostly agree 22 8.37%
Neither agree nor disagree 19 7.22%
Mostly disagree 19 7.22%
Strongly disagree 169 64.26%
Voters: 263. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 04:22 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,155,997 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
As long as ideas from the fifties are being recycled, why not say they should bring back the 57 chevy, or even the Edsel?
Or bring back legally beating your wife?

Isn't THAT what it's all about?

Keeping somone you fear beaten down.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2010, 07:07 PM

3,448 posts, read 3,133,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kickinit View Post
I doubt many woman respect you. But seems you'd rather have control then Respect. It is never ok to Categorize based on sex, race, etc.
More people polled do believe as I do. Woman should have a right to work.
I believe in Freedom for all. Good Leaders do not have your attitude, Sir.
I think thats a better reply, for you !

Couple of things though, however I don't really want to.... hurt feelings suggesting need for respect or what most people think of course.

1) Very few men make good leaders, its the guy that does "not" look for role in objective that is best. Its not my attitude in "noticing" women almost entirely make crumby leaders, its simply whats been observed.

2) Of course women have a right to work, my point of order required that
society includes gender talent, tendencies, and manner in operation with reference to job allocation.

Further, ...have a look at a high end restaurant, theres a reason "why" we have waiters and not waitress's. The proprietor does not answer to government codes .

He knows the waiter will serve his needs in a disciplined
clear thinking fashion with a confidence in personal management when things go wrong.

The proprietor accepts the fact that something will always backfire and installs the waiter in good expectation of percentage
recovery .

This example gives evidence to abilities specific to gender. Its not my fault Iv'e noticed that women are not a good pick in leadership roles. Its also not an attitude, its a deduction in experience as well communication with many others in varied situations.

We need women in the work place, we need a balance of men and women . To stretch my opinion , suggesting otherwise is a waste of time

Last edited by stargazzer; 08-06-2010 at 07:16 PM..

Old 08-06-2010, 07:10 PM

4,562 posts, read 4,104,044 times
I put strongly disagree. Women shouldn't be removed from the workplace. However 2 full time jobs is destructive to families. Particularly in a society with longer work weeks, ridiculously long commutes and 24/7 culture where people work opposite shifts.

Old 08-06-2010, 08:19 PM

2,422 posts, read 2,280,191 times
Keep em barefoot and pregnant, like they should be!

Old 08-06-2010, 09:03 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,465,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
I guess I don't look at the question that way. I see the question posed simply because traditionally is was once such a way and asking the question if the path had went another way (women continued the role they once had), would things be better or worse?

I am not sure if the OP meant it as such, but when I look at it that way, I don't see the emotional or discriminatory push of the question that maybe you are seeing.
I see what you're saying. And I didn't mean to sound too defensive, I was just surprised it was even a question.

I say this calmly. Even without the sexist implications, I still think aligning each gender with one role pigeon-holes both men and women. People need to just be able to do what they're good at or whatever they need to given a situation. If two parents are trying to make it in the world, whoever gets the better job should work. Saying the man should work or saying the woman should work limits people and why limit all the possibilities, especially during hard economic times? Hard times call for flexibility, so the more options, the better.

Old 08-07-2010, 01:09 AM

1,309 posts, read 1,362,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Some argue that the women's movement has caused more problems than its been worth, even claiming that dual-income families have driven up the cost of living.

What do you think?
I'm impartial.
I feel women in some work places are downright dangerous. Yet I feel women in other work places are necessary.[/SIZE]
Women on a construction site, no place. This is probably the only place that I really see a problem.[/SIZE]

Old 08-07-2010, 01:12 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,384,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Certainly, at one time it was true that a comfortable house could be purchased in most American cities with only one working adult's salary.

Housing for a family on one salary is still available. It just ain't what they want.

This two income myth is lame...people can make it on one. They just can't have all the crap they want.

Old 08-07-2010, 01:17 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,384,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
I disagree. I know many strong women who make excellent leaders. Unfortunately, there's a bit of a double standard between men and women leaders... when a man is aggressive he's seen as 'strong' and 'gets the job done', but when a women does the same, she's called a b*tch, naggy etc.

I think that may be a reason that women are seen as 'poor' leaders.
Agreed. I know many women leaders who are great at their jobs. And they lead both women and men. The fact that stargazer or whatever his name is doesn't probably speaks to the circles he runs in.

Another issue is that women may not as prevalently be leaders because they are not taught to lead when they are young. No emphasis is placed on girls learning to lead or being encouraged to lead.

Old 08-07-2010, 01:26 AM

25,157 posts, read 53,956,590 times
Angry women with an ax to grind need to stay out of the workplace.

Old 08-07-2010, 04:47 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,155,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Angry women with an ax to grind need to stay out of the workplace.
And that shouldn't apply to men??????????

Ever notice the "disgruntled" ANGRY employee who comes back to his former workplace and shoots a bunch of former coworkers is almost always

M A L E ?

So angry MEN have a right to work but not women????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies