Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2012, 07:42 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,421,721 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKBLACKGUY View Post
It was for you and it's doesn't matter if you are black.

Racism does not require that the person be white. Black folks are surely capable of internalizing and then acting upon the same anti-black prejudices and stereotypes as whites.

It's not about getting them to feel sorry. As I fully realize that white people have hearts of stone when it comes to racism and black people so I’m not in the business of selling sob stories to whites.

Persuading whites to give up the benefits of racism, to give up a false pride in their race, to become outcasts from white society, to face their shame and guilt at benefiting from a racist society – all that is way, way,way beyond my powers. I write about racism for my own understanding. That is not the same thing as writing to persuade you or them.

Say if you could not swim and you and a group of friends decide you are going to go on a boat on the river. You and your friends get on the boat, row far out in the river then they throw you overboard and you died by drowining

What was the cause of your death ?

Some of your friend said,“He died because he was too lazy to take the time to learn how how to swim.” (You died because you was LAZY)

Another said: “He died because he was afraid of the water” (You died because you was a COWARD)

And yet another boy said: “He died because he never took any swimming classes.” (You died because you was UNEDUCATED)

But the real answer is that you died because you was pushed.

Any other answer is dealing only with secondary circumstances.

YES, knowing how to swim might have been a solution to your dilemma, once you was in the water, but NOT knowing how to swim was not the CAUSE of your dilemma. The CAUSE was the callous treachery of those who set upon you.

Same thing with black people – Yes, becoming doctors, dentists and accountants would help matters. Yes, having intact families would be a huge plus! Yes, avoiding teenage pregnancy would be very good too.

BUT

Those are not the primary CAUSES of our dilemma

The CAUSE is:
  1. Slavery
  2. Forbidding an education
  3. Then under-education
  4. Refusing to hire us
  5. Portraying us as buffoons or criminals in the media
Etc

Those are the CAUSES.

Overcoming these historic wrongs with education, family restoration, therapy, rebuilding of self image, rebuilding of community image… etc may be the SOLUTION, but the failure to do so will never be the cause. Those two concepts need some separation.
A lecture from an afrocentrist Rastafarian Jamaican living in the UK. I'm sure your views will enrich the debate.

Old 05-28-2012, 07:45 AM

52 posts, read 45,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enemy country View Post
First of all if all that was for me I'M BLACK. Second a bully never stops or feels sorry for their victim ever. If we as blacks don't become strong enough to beat racist in all these institutions then we will always and forever get that treatment.
Strong enough ?

As if being bought and sold, to raped, to having fingers cut off for learning to read, to being lynched, or relegated to the lowest-rung jobs and living in the poorest neighborhoods — counted for nothing. As if surviving such history was no more impressive than chewing gum and walking at the same time.

Imagine, to survive attempted cultural and physical genocide does not, on this view, merit wonder or amazement, let alone a class to discuss how such a thing could be possible: this, in a nation that has made surviving a few weeks on an island with television cameras and emergency medical assistance at the ready something for which the last person standing should be rewarded one million dollars.

Does not surviving the concerted attempt to destroy or at least subjugate one’s people say something about the character of those who manage the feat? Does not leading a struggle for freedom, and the advancement of human dignity not suggest that the persons in question have made a substantial contribution to the nation in which they live, and indeed the world?

Old 05-28-2012, 08:03 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times
Quote:
Strong enough ?

As if being bought and sold, to raped, to having fingers cut off for learning to read, to being lynched, or relegated to the lowest-rung jobs and living in the poorest neighborhoods — counted for nothing. As if surviving such history was no more impressive than chewing gum and walking at the same time.
And this is why 11-12 year olds today tell their friends in school to "stop being a Whitey" when they get good marks on their tests ?

I've heard it said twice while in inner city schools and honestly cannot fathom that, at such a young age, these kids already have this type of thinking. I don't think this thinking goes back to pre-Civil War days though.

Old 05-28-2012, 08:05 AM

10,854 posts, read 9,303,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
A lecture from an afrocentrist Rastafarian Jamaican living in the UK. I'm sure your views will enrich the debate.
Your argument would have more validity if you disputed what he said instead launching an attack in his religion and nationality.

I know as a Conservative it's hard to refrain from doing those kind of things.

Old 05-28-2012, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
And this is why 11-12 year olds today tell their friends in school to "stop being a Whitey" when they get good marks on their tests ?

I've heard it said twice while in inner city schools and honestly cannot fathom that, at such a young age, these kids already have this type of thinking. I don't think this thinking goes back to pre-Civil War days though.
New flash, every Black kid in America doesn't go to inner-city schools and every Black kid doesn't partake in that kind of nonsense.

IV. Booming Black Enrollment Reflects More Than Demographics | Pew Hispanic Center

Quote:
Black College Enrollment Among the College-Eligible

In October 2010, 46.0% of young black high school completers were enrolled in college. This rate is significantly above the levels prevailing before 2009 when enrollment rates ranged from 40% to 42%, but is lower than the record 46.4% in

The only thing you've proven with your post's is your ability to take ancedotal experiences and project them upon a group of 42 million diverse human beings.

Old 05-28-2012, 08:13 AM

8,145 posts, read 6,532,697 times
Quote:
Strong enough ?

Imagine, to survive attempted cultural and physical genocide does not, on this view, merit wonder or amazement, let alone a class to discuss how such a thing could be possible: this, in a nation that has made surviving a few weeks on an island with television cameras and emergency medical assistance at the ready something for which the last person standing should be rewarded one million dollars.

Does not surviving the concerted attempt to destroy or at least subjugate one’s people say something about the character of those who manage the feat? Does not leading a struggle for freedom, and the advancement of human dignity not suggest that the persons in question have made a substantial contribution to the nation in which they live, and indeed the world?
Who are you arguing with? None of that means anything to a banker who is racist and has no one inn the bank to call them on it. Same for the police force etc......those people that won all those struggles had stronger family ties than the blacks of today. At least IME. Just went to a party with very few legit couples. Lots of kids running around wanting to be like lil wayne or Mike Vick though.

Old 05-28-2012, 08:14 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
New flash, every Black kid in America doesn't go to inner-city schools and every Black kid doesn't partake in that kind of nonsense.

IV. Booming Black Enrollment Reflects More Than Demographics | Pew Hispanic Center

The only thing you've proven with your post's is your ability to take ancedotal experiences and project them upon a group of 42 million diverse human beings.
No I didn't. Notice I said "twice" and while in inner city schools.
Isn't this where the thug mentality is having such a big effect ?

I am NOT lumping all Blacks into this category. I related what I have heard coming from kids' mouths.

Old 05-28-2012, 08:21 AM

8,145 posts, read 6,532,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post

Those saying that are the dumb ones that are probably physically stronger and fit the thug image more. It is to their stupid benefit to make being smart seem wrong and they have been very successful in this for years. To the detriment of our race.

Old 05-28-2012, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
If a problem did not exist, then there would be no need for discussion.
But you won't expose you own dirty laundry like rampant meth and oxy abuse, high youth suicide rates, and pedophilia.

Old 05-28-2012, 08:37 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,421,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
Your argument would have more validity if you disputed what he said instead launching an attack in his religion and nationality.

I know as a Conservative it's hard to refrain from doing those kind of things.
I can't engage with anyone intelligently who claims Blacks were the first people in Britain and links up a discredited site as their source. When you argue with a fool, you become a fool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies