Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2012, 12:03 PM

270 posts, read 198,614 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
To elaborate more, this is what I think. I think there is an important to note where this culture came from. This doesn't excuse the culture, rather, it could hold clues on how to solve this problem. There is a book called Black Rednecks and White Liberals written by Thomas Sowell. There are parallels made between the "redneck culture" and the "ghetto culture".
Yeah, one day I will get around to reading that book. But I already suspect it's correct.

Old 05-28-2012, 12:07 PM

73,031 posts, read 62,634,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I would say look from the 60's onward. The civil rights movement saw many Blacks, young and old fight for equal education and the end to segregated schools. In the 50 years since it is now cool to be illiterate, dumb and a tough guy.
But that mentality exists in a certain segment of the Black population. It has incubated and flourished. In fact, Thomas Sowell explains this. He theorizes that there are parallels between "ghetto culture" and "redneck culture". According to him, the aversion to education, violence, sexual promiscuity found in "ghetto culture" is the same stuff that has existed in "redneck culture" in the South amongst many poor Whites. According to Thomas Sowell, Blacks were exposed to that culture, took it with them to northern cities, and while many Blacks and Whites no longer adhere to that culture, it is mainly the poorest and the least educated persons who still adhere to it. Combine this with hip-hop(or its being watered down) and you have the perfect storm. This was way before the Civil Rights movement. It just manifested itself differently after the Civil Rights movement.

Old 05-28-2012, 12:15 PM

2,713 posts, read 3,024,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
I've had enough of this idiotic behavior in the black community. It's just down right sick. There is a segment of the black population that is causing problems for the blacks that are productive and want to live a higher quality of life.

MOST black areas in major cities are total WAR ZONES. I talk with friends and family about this isse very often.

It's hard for blacks with decent incomes to find establishments that cater to blacks because those damn thugs have destroyed black communities across the country.

They tear up the properties and the violence is unbelievable. I'd like to go to a high end restaurants and stores owned by blacks but it's hard to find areas in major cities that have not been over taken black poor black thug culture.

Heck I'd like to go high end stores owned by whites if they were opening up shop in black areas but they don't and I cannot blame them.

I would bet and like to believe if those destroyed black areas in the cities were majority middle class to upper class blacks with decent to high incomes and high net worth, whites and blacks alike would open businesses in those areas.

It am totally disappointed considering all of the years of hard work blacks have put in fighting for civil rights. I also would like to add that whites helped fight for the civil rights of blacks as well. It seems as if it has been wasted. :-(

I'll probably get bashed for this thread because someone will make up 1 million excuses is to why the behavior is justified.

What are some possible solutions?
Great Post

I really do not believe there are any solutions. Lower income blacks have basically adopted this gangsta, thuggish, destructive lifestyle. Role Models/Celebrities basically endorse this type of behavior.

I was going to make a thread, on what causes this type of behavior.
Is it Cultural some how, Is it mental, could it be something in the genetics? who knows.

Old 05-28-2012, 12:15 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
But that mentality exists in a certain segment of the Black population. It has incubated and flourished. In fact, Thomas Sowell explains this.
I just read some articles on his book. Thank you for that post that mentioned it. Flourished ? I'd say it's gone viral; that segment is growing bigger. You now have parents with that mentality raising kids.

If you don't have time for the book...
Black Rednecks and White Liberals: Who’s a Redneck? | Capitalism Magazine

And...
Black Rednecks and White Liberals - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Sowell gives a number of examples that he regards as supporting the lineage, e.g.,
an aversion to work, proneness to violence, neglect of education, sexual promiscuity, improvidence, drunkenness, lack of entrepreneurship,… and a style of religious oratory marked by strident rhetoric, unbridled emotions, and flamboyant imagery.

Old 05-28-2012, 12:32 PM

Quote:
I just read some articles on his book. Thank you for that post that mentioned it. Flourished ? I'd say it's gone viral; that segment is growing bigger. You now have parents with that mentality raising kids.

And...
Sowell gives a number of examples that he regards as supporting the lineage, e.g.,
an aversion to work, proneness to violence, neglect of education, sexual promiscuity, improvidence, drunkenness, lack of entrepreneurship,… and a style of religious oratory marked by strident rhetoric, unbridled emotions, and flamboyant imagery.
This is exactly where I got the information. I don't agree with alot of things Thomas Sowell has said, but at least in this case, he does recognize that a culture doesn't just come out of nowhere. It has historical roots.

Old 05-28-2012, 12:34 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,304,767 times
Quote:

And...
Thomas Sowell now there's a clear nonobjective voice on social issues........ NOT!

Old 05-28-2012, 12:37 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
Thomas Sowell now there's a clear nonobjective voice on social issues........ NOT!
Care to elaborate on what you disagree with ?
Even Bill Cosby says some of the same things using different words.

Old 05-28-2012, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jermaine88 View Post
Great Post

I really do not believe there are any solutions. Lower income blacks have basically adopted this gangsta, thuggish, destructive lifestyle. Role Models/Celebrities basically endorse this type of behavior.

I was going to make a thread, on what causes this type of behavior.
Is it Cultural some how, Is it mental, could it be something in the genetics? who knows.
I feel it is alot more cultural and historical. In fact, I have mentioned it in many posts. Thomas Sowell even mentions it. The "ghetto culture" has its roots in "redneck culture".
Black Rednecks & White Liberals

Old 05-28-2012, 12:42 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,896,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post

Yes, Sowell presents a distinct, alternative ideology from that which has subsidized and encouraged black irresponsibility. He backs up his opinions with studies and facts.

When has a non-objective voice ever changed anything?

Old 05-28-2012, 12:44 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,170,292 times
The blacks that are conservative generally move to white neighborhoods to feel safe.. I believe the idle mind of many blacks in the ghetto's have given up to the evil of guns, sex, lack of responsibllity brought on by the welfare system.

Many just take the hand outs and never move up .. and if the blacks do, they are called oreos, or uncle toms or Aunt Jemima's. . This is what is hurting the black community. Using the race card is power for the liberal blacks.. they are fed garbage by the al Sharptons and Jesse jacksons and they are fine with that. Of course the democratic party loves to use blacks for their votes and keep them dependent so they are still a slave to the dems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies