Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 05:14 PM

3,196 posts, read 5,399,551 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
My graduate degree is economics/finance. But I thought a statistical wizard like you would be able to give us a statistical opinion on the odds that by pure chance 10 of the warmest years in recorded history all happened in the last 12 years. That's a testable proposition, right? Up your alley? Something a sophomore statistics student should be able to calculate.
ok...so you finally admit that you can't understand science. That is a good first step. ...as to your assignment of a statistical problem of that nature to me, 1) I can calculate the probabilities if I have the rest of the data. Since neither I nor anyone else has the rest of the data, attempting to calculate such a probability is a mega-misuse of statistics. 2) Sophmore's couldn't calculate it without all the data. Neither can you.

Since you claim, with your finance degrees to be such a genius...why don't you forecast the changes to the beta as a result of cap and trade. Make sure you eliminate market forces and business cycles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2009, 08:00 PM

Note, rlchurch, with your claimed business acumen, I expect you to combine industries in some sort of normative way and discuss the affect of cap and trade on some interesting segments.

Old 12-17-2009, 08:09 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,477,016 times
Why would he/she do that? they work in the energy industry and, if competent, would profit from all that.

Old 12-17-2009, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
Why would he/she do that? they work in the energy industry and, if competent, would profit from all that.
I don't think he CAN do it--that's the point. His logic has been seen to be bogus; now I believe we will see that his educational claims are bogus too. Maybe we will see me proven wrong.

Old 12-17-2009, 08:28 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,477,016 times
I thought all of us here where phD's and millionaires. Am I deluded?

Old 12-18-2009, 08:01 AM

5,922 posts, read 8,069,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcashley View Post
ok...so you finally admit that you can't understand science. That is a good first step. ...as to your assignment of a statistical problem of that nature to me, 1) I can calculate the probabilities if I have the rest of the data. Since neither I nor anyone else has the rest of the data, attempting to calculate such a probability is a mega-misuse of statistics. 2) Sophmore's couldn't calculate it without all the data. Neither can you.
I think you said your expertise was math. There is no science requirement in a math degree and it shows. Go dig out that data. It's all public. Show your work.

Quote:
Since you claim, with your finance degrees to be such a genius...why don't you forecast the changes to the beta as a result of cap and trade. Make sure you eliminate market forces and business cycles.
What beta? Every security has a beta. But the CAPM is so 90s. Nobody but idiots uses it for investing. Try reading some Fama and get back to me.

Old 12-18-2009, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
And when I come back and tell you that I was successful in doing so? What will you say then?
Report back Kramar.

Old 12-18-2009, 05:04 PM

Quote:
I think you said your expertise was math. There is no science requirement in a math degree and it shows. Go dig out that data. It's all public. Show your work.

What beta? Every security has a beta. But the CAPM is so 90s. Nobody but idiots uses it for investing. Try reading some Fama and get back to me.
That's what I thought you would say. Pretty much what I predicted to bigjohn you would say. Pretty much says it all. You are able to recognize CAPM and Beta--but you are unable to forecast what changes in the economic environment will cause industry-to-industry variances from the overall changes in the market. This is pretty basic stuff. ...and I understand how most people can't get it...but you've pretty much said that you are a masters prepared expert in finance and economics.

Well, I have to conclude, with a fair amount of certainity, that you do not know finance, you do not know economics, and your educational claims are bogus.

So far you admitted that your knowledge of science was limited. Now your performance shows that your knowledge of finance and economics is sophmoric. ....oh by the way re: Fama. You probably are unaware of it but the Fama-French 3 Factor Model STARTS with an assessment of Beta as the SOLE explanation of stock performance, indicts that statement and proceeds with more sophisticated analysis. If you can't discuss Beta, you can't discuss Fama-French.

Good by credibility Mr. RLCHURCH.

Old 12-20-2009, 04:39 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,673,094 times
Quote:
Report back Kramar.
Yes, I've now done this. Digital thermometer.

Old 12-20-2009, 06:11 PM

Quote:
That's what I thought you would say. Pretty much what I predicted to bigjohn you would say. Pretty much says it all. You are able to recognize CAPM and Beta--but you are unable to forecast what changes in the economic environment will cause industry-to-industry variances from the overall changes in the market. This is pretty basic stuff. ...and I understand how most people can't get it...but you've pretty much said that you are a masters prepared expert in finance and economics.
I get it fine. You haven't specified what you are even looking for. I suspect a quick peek at Wikipedia left you unprepared.

Quote:
Well, I have to conclude, with a fair amount of certainity, that you do not know finance, you do not know economics, and your educational claims are bogus.
Maybe maybe not, but you couldn't tell.

Quote:
So far you admitted that your knowledge of science was limited. Now your performance shows that your knowledge of finance and economics is sophmoric. ....oh by the way re: Fama. You probably are unaware of it but the Fama-French 3 Factor Model STARTS with an assessment of Beta as the SOLE explanation of stock performance, indicts that statement and proceeds with more sophisticated analysis. If you can't discuss Beta, you can't discuss Fama-French.

Good by credibility Mr. RLCHURCH.
Actually my knowledge of science is certainly orders of magnitude greater than yours. I've actually taken college physics.

Well, that's not what Gene said when I took his finance courses. He has never embraced the CAPM as a correct model for how the market prices securities, though he used the CAPM fairly extensively in analytical work during the 70s and early 80s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies