Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 05:51 PM

15,096 posts, read 8,643,669 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
There are plenty of young people who are for traditional marriage. Perhaps even more who are ethnophobic. And what "mentalities" of today's conservatives are "socially unaware"? That sounds like a term you pulled out of your...you know what.

In addition, conservative states have higher total fertility rates than liberal states. Utah, perhaps the most conservative state, has the highest TFR at about 2.45. Check it out (with a nice graph correlating TFR and % voting for Bush) at "The Baby Gap: Explaining Red and Blue" by Steve Sailer in The American Conservative, December 20, 2004, Red State Blue State, Republican Democrat, birth rate, total fertility, Bush, Kerry election gun control, vouchers, public schools, liberal, cons . This is especially the case with socially conservative parents, who in some case use no form of birth control, having 7 or 8 or even more children. Obviously, as the conservative-parented children grow up there will be some attrition to the left, but as a general rule, it seems that most people tend to have much of the same values as their parents.
Yes, and couple that with the fact that there are more children produced in heterosexual marriages than same sex marriages (scratching my head wondering why that is )

To me it would also seem likely that todays liberals were more likely to be the offspring of conservative parents ... because of the above head scratcher

Maybe liberalism is just the product of rebellious youth who refuse to grow up
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2010, 05:58 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,485,182 times
Quote:
Originally posted by CAVA1990
Since most young people today consider the ethnophobic, homophobic, and socially unaware mentality of today's conservatives "uncool" will that political philosophy be tossed onto the ash heap of American history?
No. As long as there are ideologies, there will always be some people who are more wary of change than the next guy. It's like the yin and yang. One will be for more government, the other less. One will be for more human rights, the other less. It is what it is.

Old 02-07-2010, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
Roughly 2.4 million people die a year in the United States. Your figure of 750,000 dying of medical errors would translate into 30% of the total figure. You must use a broad definition of "medical error".
It's not my figure ... I didn't just make that up. That's a figure reported based on statistics compiled and documented in the book "Death By Medicine". You have a problem with the number, take it up with the author and his sources.

I personally don't see how the 30% figure could automatically be dismissed given the current state of medicine ... but then again I understand very little about what makes the liberal mind believe much of what it seems to accept as truth. All I do I do know is that reason and common sense plays very minor roles.

Old 02-07-2010, 06:23 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,265,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
Maybe liberalism is just the product of rebellious youth who refuse to grow up
More likely it's the product of kids who graduated from college, some of conservative parents who didn't. Conservatives are on average much less educated than liberals. The great political divide is between the formally educated and the less schooled. As the populace becomes more educated it will become more liberal.

Old 02-07-2010, 06:24 PM

45,435 posts, read 60,638,057 times
Still high but not near your number:

In Hospital Deaths from Medical Errors at 195,000 per Year USA

Old 02-07-2010, 06:24 PM

4,183 posts, read 6,526,537 times
Quote:
No, it was directly on point to show that getting "intoxicated" drivers off the road has nothing to do with arresting someone for drinking one beer.

I thought even a liberal would be intellectually capable of wrestling that out of the discussion. Apparently I was mistaken.

To clarify even further, Liberal extremism is the effort to explain why drinking one beer and driving is the same as drinking 24 beers and driving, using medical science which kills exponentially more people each year as the foundation for the argument. Got it now?

Only a liberal could contemplate that without getting a migraine .. and only the very dense ones could argue the point.
Hahaha....what a juvenile post. Attacking science because it disagrees with your politics is an example of why no one should take you seriously. Not only that, you trivialize the concept of "freedom" by equating tyranny with the prohibition of drunk driving. You sound like an 8 yr old with rotting teeth who vows to wage revolution because you were deprived of your "right" to suck on your lollipop.

Look, no one's stopping you from drinking beer. I would even support your right to drink yourself to death in your home. What I oppose is your arrogant presumption that you have the right to kill others on the road, just so you can convince yourself that you are "free".

Old 02-07-2010, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
More likely it's the product of kids who graduated from college, some of conservative parents who didn't. Conservatives are on average much less educated than liberals. The great political divide is between the formally educated and the less schooled. As the populace becomes more educated it will become more liberal.
I don't know if that is true or not ... but one could easily replace "educated" with "indoctrinated".

It is true that the Universities have been a breeding ground for liberal relativism, which was included in the communist manifesto as a strategic target.

I've often said that I think one's IQ is determined at birth, and then adjusted downward in direct proportion to the number of liberal ideas one is subjected to in government training camps ... with the heaviest exposure taking place on college campuses. So that would certainly explain what we are seeing .... a nation too dumb to tie it's own shoes, while running around the world teaching others how to.

Old 02-07-2010, 07:17 PM

4,183 posts, read 6,526,537 times
Quote:
I don't know if that is true or not ... but one could easily replace "educated" with "indoctrinated".

It is true that the Universities have been a breeding ground for liberal relativism, which was included in the communist manifesto as a strategic target.

I've often said that I think one's IQ is determined at birth, and then adjusted downward in direct proportion to the number of liberal ideas one is subjected to in government training camps ... with the heaviest exposure taking place on college campuses. So that would certainly explain what we are seeing .... a nation too dumb to tie it's own shoes, while running around the world teaching others how to.
Another lame excuse for flunking college, disguised as a rant against liberalism.

Old 02-07-2010, 09:23 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,790,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Truth is, I never really met one of those much-maligned "bleeding heart / welfare liberals" that the right keeps dragging out to poison every conversation in this nation. There's no need to create boogeymen if you have a good set of ideas to start with; if one's ideas cannot prevail in the marketplace of free thought and critical thinking, then go home. Plenty of DEMs are for balanced budgets, personal responsibility, and a lean efficient government.
I offer you a new perspective-- those shouting loudest about 'liberal' welfare are those in self identified red states, self identified conservative, with an abundance of welfare population. They see their communities steered wrongfully by gov't programs incentivising poverty.

I never met a welfare queen until I witnessed it in navajo country and saw it's evidence in WV. Please don't get me wrong, that is NOT the majority of the state, but it is what the majority of the state is solidly against. Please note that said welfare queen votes straight ticket republican. So does a drunken ex airforce vet who got thrown out of service for his alcoholism but blames clinton for his dishonorable discharge. Curious logic, isn't it?

Old 02-07-2010, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndfmnlf View Post
Hahaha....what a juvenile post. Attacking science because it disagrees with your politics is an example of why no one should take you seriously. Not only that, you trivialize the concept of "freedom" by equating tyranny with the prohibition of drunk driving. You sound like an 8 yr old with rotting teeth who vows to wage revolution because you were deprived of your "right" to suck on your lollipop.

Look, no one's stopping you from drinking beer. I would even support your right to drink yourself to death in your home. What I oppose is your arrogant presumption that you have the right to kill others on the road, just so you can convince yourself that you are "free".
No, you look, you really do care what I do in my own home, so don't lie about it ... the liberal freaks in California want to ban people from smoking a cigarette in their own homes. There are simply no limits to the hatred of personal freedoms, eclipsed only by the sadistic fetish liberals have with government jack boots as they stomp upon freedom. The shear arrogance of your self anointed right to tell everyone else what they can and can't do is why you will never become a majority.

Furthermore, there is nothing scientific or otherwise in comparing drinking one beer and 20 beers, let alone equating drinking one beer to killing people on the highway. I wish you liberals would direct some of that high minded concern for life toward the 49.5 MILLION babies aborted since 1973, that you are so quick to celebrate in a display of morbid inhumanity.

Now, I personally believe that a bunch of male bureaucrats shouldn't be dictating to women what to do with their bodies, so I'm pro choice even though I may personally disagree with abortion. I just find it rather telling as to the liberal mindset that so strongly celebrates abortions on such a large scale. The hypocrisy is never ending ... you want to ban guns because they are dangerous and kill, with gun grabbing liberals literally coming out of the woodwork if a child gets killed, grateful for the opportunity to exploit the tragedy not because you care about children, but because you love your own causes. Then, you celebrate aborting a Million infants each year as if there is no contradiction.

But the contradiction doesn't stop there ... in the most outrageous display of hypocrisy imaginable, the liberals want to deny the rights of individuals selectively as they solely decide according to their lack of values, only to turn around and scream bloody murder if the world doesn't immediately recognize their demands for legal protection and social acceptance of a host of deviant behaviors.

You're still the minority in this country, and thank God for that. Even the 23% of you out there who thinks they can dictate to the other 77% generates more than enough stench to choke the rest of us to death.

But more and more people are waking up to the fact that the "liberal" message contains zero reason and even less common sense. The liberal days are fading fast ... not fast enough, but fading nonetheless.

Bye-bye
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies