Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2010, 09:23 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,568,805 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Queen View Post
I am no pro-lifer but I don't think it is about taking away a womans choice or about knowing what is best for here. It is about trying to get woman to understand that they have to be more responsible and not use abortion as birth control. I do admit there are some that are way to extreme and want no abortion EVER that is just unrealistic but what bothers most I think is when woman use abortion as birth control.
I think women using abortion as a means of birth control bothers everyone, but taking it away is not going to decrease the incidence of unplanned pregnancy sadly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2010, 09:34 AM

If people were serious about decreasing the numbers of unplanned pregnancies, particularily in teens, I would hope to see blitz campaigns in high schools, and in the media. Where are the outraged parents demanding more sex ed for their kids, better access for reproductive health issues. Instead we have parents telling us "SShhh, don't tell them about sex, otherwise they'll want to run out and bonk like bunnies". Guess what, they are running out and bonking like bunnies without the education to protect themselves and therefore unable to make good choices.

What bothers me most about the pro-life organizations is that they spend an inordinate amount of time and energy on anti-abortion material, posters, billboards, ads, websites. And they expend a lot of energy preventing Planned Parenthood from doing their job preventing pregnancy. A miniscule percentage of PP's services revolve around terminations, most revolves around pregnancy preventions, but they can't even do that because they have loons outside preventing our sexually active teens from getting the guidance and education they obviously so desperately need. The results of abstinence programs are inconsistent, but that seems to be it for a lot of pro-lifers. Why are pro-life organizations not working tirelessly to prevent pregnancies? Why has pro-life become synonymous with abstinence programs which are not working well? Why don't they open their own clinics instead of messing with PP, clinics where they can offer education and reproductive care just as PP does excluding the terminations, include abstinence programs too if they want, focus on adoptions?

Why are the pro-life organizations so hell-bent on preventing other organizations from doing something about unplanned pregnancies, when they do nothing meaningful about it themselves?

Old 02-25-2010, 09:58 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,738,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by specialrequest View Post
I always find it interesting when discussing the abortion issue with prolifers, to find that most of them believe in the death penalty- so life is sacred only up to a point I guess-
they only care about babies as long as they are in the woman ... once they are out ... they are fair game.

Old 02-25-2010, 10:01 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,226,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
It is simple but you're not getting it. If you are Pro-Choice you support ALL the choices available, not just abortion. To say someone is pro-abortion excludes the other choices that encompass the Pro-Choice doctrine. The labels 'pro-choice' and 'pro-abortion' are simply not interchangeable no matter how much you wish it was for propaganda purposes.
Pro Abortion means you support the use of abortion.

Old 02-25-2010, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
If people were serious about decreasing the numbers of unplanned pregnancies, particularily in teens, I would hope to see blitz campaigns in high schools, and in the media. Where are the outraged parents demanding more sex ed for their kids, better access for reproductive health issues. Instead we have parents telling us "SShhh, don't tell them about sex, otherwise they'll want to run out and bonk like bunnies". Guess what, they are running out and bonking like bunnies without the education to protect themselves and therefore unable to make good choices.

What bothers me most about the pro-life organizations is that they spend an inordinate amount of time and energy on anti-abortion material, posters, billboards, ads, websites. And they expend a lot of energy preventing Planned Parenthood from doing their job preventing pregnancy. A miniscule percentage of PP's services revolve around terminations, most revolves around pregnancy preventions, but they can't even do that because they have loons outside preventing our sexually active teens from getting the guidance and education they obviously so desperately need. The results of abstinence programs are inconsistent, but that seems to be it for a lot of pro-lifers. Why are pro-life organizations not working tirelessly to prevent pregnancies? Why has pro-life become synonymous with abstinence programs which are not working well? Why don't they open their own clinics instead of messing with PP, clinics where they can offer education and reproductive care just as PP does excluding the terminations, include abstinence programs too if they want, focus on adoptions?

Why are the pro-life organizations so hell-bent on preventing other organizations from doing something about unplanned pregnancies, when they do nothing meaningful about it themselves?
i am very much for Sex Ed, Free Condoms the use of birth control , even the morning after pill. killing 49 million is what I am against

Does not change the fact if you are pro choice you are pro abortion

Old 02-25-2010, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
i am very much for Sex Ed, Free Condoms the use of birth control , even the morning after pill. killing 49 million is what I am against
Then you are pro-choice, since you are such a stickler for the correct terminology. Once you condone the use of the morning-after pill, your position moves from pro-life to pro-choice.

Quote:
Does not change the fact if you are pro choice you are pro abortion
You can call me anything you like, it doesn't make it so. You are discussing this as though I am completely ignorant of the word games involved here. The term pro-abortion" has become the catch phrase used against pro-choice supporters by many pro-life organizations. It is used as a slur, but it is also used to deflect the hypocrisy of the pro-life stance. As I already mentioned you are either against all abortion and termination of life, or you are not. Any caveat puts you in the pro-choice camp. Why people are so offended by this notion is beyond me. Women make choices about hair styles, careers, shoes, marriage, but now it's supposed to be somehow demeaning to label them pro-choice when it comes the most important decision of their life. I would far rather women make an wise educated choice that has such widespread ramifications, than blindly follow what a label tells them to do with disasterous results. All reproductive choices are pro-choice, being against abortion is just one choice.

Old 02-25-2010, 10:28 AM

18,391 posts, read 19,027,378 times
Quote:
Pro Abortion means you support the use of abortion.
as zim just posted. "pro abortion" is just a word game. talk about childish and a way to try to deflect from the real issue. do you want to be considered anti choice? that is what you are if you do not want a woman to have a choice to give birth. not very pro life of you.

Old 02-25-2010, 10:48 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,316,377 times
Quote:
Then you are pro-choice, since you are such a stickler for the correct terminology. Once you condone the use of the morning-after pill, your position moves from pro-life to pro-choice.
Exactly right! A person can be against abortion at different stages of development and still be Pro-Choice. There is no such thing as pro-abortion. And there is no such thing as a pro-lifer who thinks the morning-after pill is okay i.e. allowing that choice automatically makes them Pro-Choice.

Old 02-25-2010, 10:54 AM

Quote:

You can call me anything you like, it doesn't make it so. You are discussing this as though I am completely ignorant of the word games involved here. The term pro-abortion" has become the catch phrase used against pro-choice supporters by many pro-life organizations. It is used as a slur, but it is also used to deflect the hypocrisy of the pro-life stance. As I already mentioned you are either against all abortion and termination of life, or you are not. Any caveat puts you in the pro-choice camp. Why people are so offended by this notion is beyond me. Women make choices about hair styles, careers, shoes, marriage, but now it's supposed to be somehow demeaning to label them pro-choice when it comes the most important decision of their life. I would far rather women make an wise educated choice that has such widespread ramifications, than blindly follow what a label tells them to do with disasterous results. All reproductive choices are pro-choice, being against abortion is just one choice.
I am not pro abortion you are incorect. Pro choice is about the use of abortion. If you have not notices im not pro abortion

Old 02-25-2010, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
Exactly right! A person can be against abortion at different stages of development and still be Pro-Choice. There is no such thing as pro-abortion. And there is no such thing as a pro-lifer who thinks the morning-after pill is okay i.e. allowing that choice automatically makes them Pro-Choice.
If you are for the use of abortion you are pro abortion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies