Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2010, 09:36 PM

3,261 posts, read 5,306,900 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
It is fairly simple. Pro-choicers support a woman's right to determine what is the best decision for her, given her present circumstances. Anti-choice supporters say she has no right to determine what is best for herself, they know what's best for her.
What you said may sound simple, but the OP stated that he knows of 2 Conservative women who had abortions.

Under what circumstances? Even amongst prolifers there are different "extenuating circumstance"? Were they Conservatives or Republicans, which IMO are not synonomous, although some may think so?

I just think the OP sounds silly, like a kid in the schoolyard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2010, 09:42 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,577,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robee70 View Post
1) Not every Republican is a Conservative.
2) Not every Republican is a right-to-lifer
3) Not every Democrat is pro-choice
4) Not all pro-choicers would support all types of abortion
5) Some oppose abortion being federally funded, but not necessarily for abortion being legal
6) Not all those who support pro-choice, would choose abortion
7) Not all pro-lifers would oppose abortion under certain circumstances

See... it's just not black & white
Jesus Christ. For the 4th time, this thread is for those users who are conservative and "prolife" and always whine and moan about those godless liberals having abortions.

WHENEVER I ask them about if they really think liberals are the only ones who have abortions, I never hear back. And as expected they are ignoring this thread like the PLAGUE!

I just think that they sound silly, like a kid in the schoolyard.

Old 02-22-2010, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
Jesus Christ. For the 4th time, this thread is for those users who are conservative and "prolife" and always whine and moan about those godless liberals having abortions.

WHENEVER I ask them about if they really think liberals are the only ones who have abortions, I never hear back. And as expected they are ignoring this thread like the PLAGUE!

I just think that they sound silly, like a kid in the schoolyard.
Well, you specifically said 2 Conservative women. Why don't you edit your OP to "I know 2 women on the religious right who have had abortions"?

Then I may have answered differently.

Old 02-22-2010, 09:54 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,577,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robee70 View Post
Well, you specifically said 2 Conservative women. Why don't you edit your OP to "I know 2 women on the religious right who have had abortions"?

Then I may have answered differently.
I cant edit it. I realized I should have when the first person wrote this. One religious conservative I know who is "prolife" is against is personally (AFTER she had hers) but does not want to make it illegal. Fine.

But the second one is a joke. She is claims she was always "prolife" all the way through and even when she had her abortion she was "prolife". I love visiting her daughter because we often chat about her mom. When I see mom she always asks me if I visited a church yet and that any other religion is horrible and a disgrace.

Fun fun fun fun fun.

Old 02-22-2010, 10:03 PM

Quote:
I cant edit it. I realized I should have when the first person wrote this. One religious conservative I know who is "prolife" is against is personally (AFTER she had hers) but does not want to make it illegal. Fine.

But the second one is a joke. She is claims she was always "prolife" all the way through and even when she had her abortion she was "prolife". I love visiting her daughter because we often chat about her mom. When I see mom she always asks me if I visited a church yet and that any other religion is horrible and a disgrace.

Fun fun fun fun fun.
Well, this country is certainly not lacking in hypocrites from all parts of the political spectrum. However, none of us want our personal views diminished just because these hypocrites exist. I respect anyone who practices what they preach, whether I agree with them or not.

Old 02-23-2010, 03:24 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,227,792 times
Quote:
My point is the idiocy of the conservative "prolifers" who whine and cry about liberals having abortions and then ignoring that conservatives have them too.

It makes me laugh. I love seeing how emotional "prolifers" get over abortion. It adds an extra laugh because we all know how "prolife" you all are when people are actually born.

No doubt liberals are much more pro life than conservatives. NO DOUBT.

Conservatives are mostly generally very stupid. They want "do as I say not as I do".
So you see the hypocrisy of pro abortionists having kids also

Old 02-23-2010, 04:00 AM

338 posts, read 310,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
So you see the hypocrisy of pro abortionists having kids also

You do realize that this is a fallacy (wether intended or not)?

Pro Life: generally, abortions should not be allowed (some do deviate, in cases of rape/when the mother's life is in jeopardy).

Conclusion: Abortions are not to be allowed. Any abortion that you yourself are having is marking you as a hypocrite, as it goes against the argument of Pro Lifers.

Pro Choice: generally propagate that it is the woman's choice if she's having an abortion. There's neither a preference of abortion over having kids, nor a desire to make abortion compulsory (which you implied in your statement)

Conclusion: Pro Choicers having kids does not qualify as hypocrisy, as they don't advocate abortion for every pregnancy, merely the freedom of the woman to choose for herself. They chose to have kids, which is clearly within the limits of their argument.

Hope that helped.

Old 02-23-2010, 04:25 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,227,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zuendel View Post
You do realize that this is a fallacy (wether intended or not)?

Pro Life: generally, abortions should not be allowed (some do deviate, in cases of rape/when the mother's life is in jeopardy).

Conclusion: Abortions are not to be allowed. Any abortion that you yourself are having is marking you as a hypocrite, as it goes against the argument of Pro Lifers.

Pro Choice: generally propagate that it is the woman's choice if she's having an abortion. There's neither a preference of abortion over having kids, nor a desire to make abortion compulsory (which you implied in your statement)

Conclusion: Pro Choicers having kids does not qualify as hypocrisy, as they don't advocate abortion for every pregnancy, merely the freedom of the woman to choose for herself. They chose to have kids, which is clearly within the limits of their argument.
Pro choice is pro abortion. If you back abortion then its hypocritical to have kids.
Hope that helped.
Pro choice is pro abortion. If back abortion then its hypocritical to have kids.

Old 02-23-2010, 04:47 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,570,903 times
Quote:
Pro choice is pro abortion. If back abortion then its hypocritical to have kids.
I suspect you are just being obstreperous here, but for the purpose of serious debate, here again is the definition of pro-choice:

"Pro-choice describes the political and ethical view that a woman should have control over her fertility and the choice to continue or terminate a pregnancy. This entails the guarantee of reproductive rights, which includes access to sexual education; access to safe and legal abortion; contraception, and fertility treatments; and legal protection from forced abortion. Individuals and organizations who support these positions make up the pro-choice movement."

Pro-choice - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-23-2010, 05:01 AM

338 posts, read 310,903 times
Quote:

I seriously don't know how to make the explanation simpler, I even bolded the important parts for you.

But I guess establishing definitions to seriously talk about something just isn't good enough when there's alwas the possibility to say 'meh, i can't be bothered to read and try to comprehend, I'll simply repeat my statement, even though it is based on a false premise?'.

Ah, the joy of CDF discussions...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies