Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2010, 06:38 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,227,792 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuendel View Post
I seriously don't know how to make the explanation simpler, I even bolded the important parts for you.

But I guess establishing definitions to seriously talk about something just isn't good enough when there's alwas the possibility to say 'meh, i can't be bothered to read and try to comprehend, I'll simply repeat my statement, even though it is based on a false premise?'.

Ah, the joy of CDF discussions...
Your explanation is simple. If you are pro choice you believe in the use of abortion. If you believe in the use of abortion you are pro abortion. trying Orwellian new speak to say your for abortion as but you are against abortion is ludicrous
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2010, 07:21 AM

338 posts, read 310,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
Your explanation is simple. If you are pro choice you believe in the use of abortion. If you believe in the use of abortion you are pro abortion. trying Orwellian new speak to say your for abortion as but you are against abortion is ludicrous

I honestly don't know if you're just trying to avoid owning up for a mistaken statement, or if you really fail to comprehend that your post lacks a basic logical foundation.

It isn't feasible to make such a claim:

- Pro choice allows for a woman to have an abortion

therefore

- Pro choice is pro abortion (wrong, inferred straw man and/or false continuum; pro choice allows for an abortion, but doesn't propose it as compulsory. Hence pro choice)

therefore

- Every pro choicer that doesn't abort is a hypocrite (wrong; false dichotomy)

Now, I don't know if you will try to understand these points, but I can only hope so, because otherwise you could disqualify yourself from serious discussions, as you wouldn't seem to care if your arguments were valid or not, and that you're just into the whole thing to throw around meaningless phrases and insults.

Old 02-23-2010, 07:47 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,668,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
No, not 40%. Do you have any idea what that would mean? If 40% sitting in church have had aboritons, that would mean over 50% of the public, many more have had abortions. I don't know where you are getting your figures, but that is a plain outright misinformation remark..

as for Bush and the congress or Bush not bringing up overturning Roe versus Wade, the reason: it is a done deal and does not belong in the political scene period. That is why nothing was done. Because he happens to be totally Pro life and didn't act on the issue shows he is letting people make their own decisions on the issue.
35% of women will have an abortion in their lifetime.

Old 02-23-2010, 07:50 AM

8,998 posts, read 14,792,249 times
I think it's pointless to keep arguing with wjtwet. They will obviously believe what they want but many of us know the truth.

Old 02-23-2010, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
I cant edit it. I realized I should have when the first person wrote this. One religious conservative I know who is "prolife" is against is personally (AFTER she had hers) but does not want to make it illegal. Fine.

But the second one is a joke. She is claims she was always "prolife" all the way through and even when she had her abortion she was "prolife". I love visiting her daughter because we often chat about her mom. When I see mom she always asks me if I visited a church yet and that any other religion is horrible and a disgrace.

Fun fun fun fun fun.
I have a friend just like #2. Super prolife, super Christian. Got pregnant at 19, had an abortion. Went back to being super prolife and said she was "coerced" by the evil clinic to have an abortion. Suuurreeeee. Basically "I'm prolife unless it happens to me!"

Old 02-23-2010, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
So you see the hypocrisy of pro abortionists having kids also
Nope, they would only be a hypocrite if they told women that they shouldn't have children and then had children themselves.

EDIT: Saw a bunch of other people tried to explain this to you, but you won't take off the blinders to think on it for 5 minutes and admit you are wrong.

Old 02-23-2010, 08:07 AM

50,382 posts, read 64,021,617 times
I agree a lot of Conservative women are pro choice. Being pro choice is not the same thing as being pro abortion.
Although I would be very unlikely to ever get one myself, I do not wish to decide for other women what is best for them.

Old 02-23-2010, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuendel View Post
I honestly don't know if you're just trying to avoid owning up for a mistaken statement, or if you really fail to comprehend that your post lacks a basic logical foundation.

It isn't feasible to make such a claim:

- Pro choice allows for a woman to have an abortion

therefore

- Pro choice is pro abortion (wrong, inferred straw man and/or false continuum; pro choice allows for an abortion, but doesn't propose it as compulsory. Hence pro choice)

therefore

- Every pro choicer that doesn't abort is a hypocrite (wrong; false dichotomy)

Now, I don't know if you will try to understand these points, but I can only hope so, because otherwise you could disqualify yourself from serious discussions, as you wouldn't seem to care if your arguments were valid or not, and that you're just into the whole thing to throw around meaningless phrases and insults.
First if you are pro choice you are for the use of abortion, if you are the use of abortion you are pro abortion. You can try Orwellian news speak all you want but pro choice is by its definition pro abortion.
Only in Orwell's book 18 84 can you say you are for abortion but you are against abortion. either you favor the use of abortion or you do not.

just as one can not be sorta virgin, either you are for the use of abortion or you are not. If you are for abortion you are pro abortion.
I do not speak Orwellian new speak where the citizens can say they are for abortion but they are against it.
So if you want to have a discussion on abortion then speak as it is not with some new speak terminology that makes no sense in a book or real life.

if you were against abortion you would be pro life.

Old 02-23-2010, 08:35 AM

50,382 posts, read 64,021,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robee70 View Post
What you said may sound simple, but the OP stated that he knows of 2 Conservative women who had abortions.

Under what circumstances? Even amongst prolifers there are different "extenuating circumstance"? Were they Conservatives or Republicans, which IMO are not synonomous, although some may think so?

I just think the OP sounds silly, like a kid in the schoolyard.
Let's say your 12 year old daughter was raped by a mental defective who was a product of incest, and became pregnant. You would make her carry the baby? You would like the government to force her to carry the baby?
Even though I can't think of too many circumstances in which I would get an abortion, I'm sure that some exist, and so I remain prochoice, but anti abortion. I do not see how this is hard to understand.

Old 02-23-2010, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Let's say your 12 year old daughter was raped by a mental defective who was a product of incest, and became pregnant. You would make her carry the baby? You would like the government to force her to carry the baby?
Even though I can't think of too many circumstances in which I would get an abortion, I'm sure that some exist, and so I remain prochoice, but anti abortion. I do not see how this is hard to understand.
Pro choice and anti abortion are two terms that have directly different meanings. If you are pro choice you favor abortion, whether you favor abortion for yourself is not the point, to say you are pro choice you favor the use of abortion, so you are not pro life.
You can say 1 equals 2 all you want, but 1 will never equal 2. You just want to straddle the fence and say one thing equals the exact opposite. Pro choice people do that to fool themselves to make themselves feel all warn and fuzzy about the genocide of 49 million unborn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies