Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2010, 11:30 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,442,341 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
I think the argument is though that this detracts from the meaning of pro-choice. Some who are pro-choice in general are personally anti-abortion, but they believe it is up to each individual woman to make that choice for herself. So to be technically correct the are anti-pro-abortion. Being pro-choice may mean you disagree with the Duggars breeding philosophy, but it's their choice. Or may disagree with people seeking out voluntary sterilizations in their early 20's, again their choice.

But the argument is about keeping abortion legal not about the choice to have one. Because if it is legal you have the choice if it is not legal you do not. Woman have the choice because it is legal so you are not fighting for that. You are fighting to keep it legal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2010, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
it seems a way to mince words only to be stubborn and close minded. many people who are pro choice would have a problem being called pro abortion which is exactly why "anti choice" people use the term. seems kinda silly and all it really does is identify them as being a bit zealous.

Funny because do you think pro-lifers like being called anti-choice? It cuts both ways you know. Perhaps if both groups would just stick to the pro-life and pro-choice this would not have even gotten to this point.

Old 02-25-2010, 11:33 AM

18,401 posts, read 19,031,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Queen View Post
And people do all the time. You must not have read to much here because pro-lifers are refereed to as anti-choice all the time.

I would call them anti-abortions since the entire argument to about the abortion itself and keeping it legal.

So we have anti-abortionists and pro-abortionists. That is the true definition of both sides.

I personally have no problem with what some "pro life" person wants to label me. I am for choice all the way. if that makes me pro abortion in some small minded persons eyes so be it. the term is misleading, it is used only to stir up emotion. people are not stupid. we know what abortion is, we are still pro choice.

Old 02-25-2010, 11:36 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,570,903 times
Quote:
But the argument is about keeping abortion legal not about the choice to have one. Because if it is legal you have the choice if it is not legal you do not. Woman have the choice because it is legal so you are not fighting for that. You are fighting to keep it legal.
Agreed. I sincerely hope I never see the day when Roe v. Wade is repealed. But to use "pro-abortion" is disingenuous for me because, sadly, many are incapable of acknowledging that the Pro-Choice movement is about much more than just abortion.

Old 02-25-2010, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Funny because do you think pro-lifers like being called anti-choice? It cuts both ways you know. Perhaps if both groups would just stick to the pro-life and pro-choice this would not have even gotten to this point.

I do not refer to pro lifers as a rule of thumb as anti choice. I agree we should stick to the original terms. if a few want to insist on calling pro choice pro abortion, then it does cut both ways and they should be able to handle the term anti choice. if it bothers them being labeled anti choice then they should not use the term pro abortion.

anyone that use the term pro abortion do you mind being called anti choice or is that a one way street?

Old 02-25-2010, 11:42 AM

Quote:
I personally have no problem with what some "pro life" person wants to label me. I am for choice all the way. if that makes me pro abortion in some small minded persons eyes so be it. the term is misleading, it is used only to stir up emotion. people are not stupid. we know what abortion is, we are still pro choice.

Here let me show you what I mean:

Quote:
I personally have no problem with what some "pro choice" person wants to label me. I am for life all the way. if that makes me anti-choice in some small minded persons eyes so be it. the term is misleading, it is used only to stir up emotion. people are not stupid. we know what abortion is, we are still pro life.

Works both ways. Rant all you want but you call pro-lifers small minded when they call you pro-abortion but and pro-choice people small minded when they call pro-lifers anti-choice?

Old 02-25-2010, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Agreed. I sincerely hope I never see the day when Roe v. Wade is repealed. But to use "pro-abortion" is disingenuous for me because, sadly, many are incapable of acknowledging that the Pro-Choice movement is about much more than just abortion.

I do agree with you 100% I was just trying to show a different side of it. Just as pro-choice people don't want to be called pro-abortion, pro-lifers don't want to be called anti-choice.

See now you are going to have to explain to me what the Pro-Choice movement is about because I have always known it about keeping abortion legal and nothing more.

Old 02-25-2010, 11:46 AM

Quote:
I do not refer to pro lifers as a rule of thumb as anti choice. I agree we should stick to the original terms. if a few want to insist on calling pro choice pro abortion, then it does cut both ways and they should be able to handle the term anti choice. if it bothers them being labeled anti choice then they should not use the term pro abortion.

anyone that use the term pro abortion do you mind being called anti choice or is that a one way street?

I agree with all of this. If you are going to dish it out you better be able to take it. I am pro-choice BTW I was just trying to show how such nonsense has taken over both sides.

Old 02-25-2010, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Here let me show you what I mean:

Works both ways. Rant all you want but you call pro-lifers small minded when they call you pro-abortion but and pro-choice people small minded when they call pro-lifers anti-choice?

I see exactly what you mean. however it is small minded to not accept the "general" description of a term. most people use the terms pro life and pro choice. to use other terms is misleading and has an agenda. that is what I object to. as was posted earlier pro choice is about much more than being pro abortion. it is also pro life, which some people refuse to acknowledge. otherwise why use the term?

Old 02-25-2010, 11:49 AM

Quote:
I agree with all of this. If you are going to dish it out you better be able to take it. I am pro-choice BTW I was just trying to show how such nonsense has taken over both sides.
I knew you were pro choice I was just posting about the term.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies