Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2010, 09:59 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,866,625 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
He also blamed everyone from the pope to the lucky charms leprechaun. Like some driven to suicide from the taxman, he was driven to paranoia. Unlike McVeigh (zero association), he didn't have a lifelong feeling that the gov't was conspiring against him.

Y'all need to quit apologizing for an organization that busts down doors looking for money.
I can draw several parallels between Stack and McVeigh.

Both were unhappy with the United States government.

Both attacked buildings where federal employees worked.

Both killed and wounded innocent people.

I've stated that I'm ambivalent about calling Stack a terrorist, and explained my reasoning about that. I don't think there's any room for ambivalence about McVeigh.

But in both cases, their actions were egregious, neither should be hailed as a hero by anyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2010, 10:09 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,278,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I can draw several parallels between Stack and McVeigh.
McVeighs' grievances were universal, Stack wanted to own a business and live the American dream, never wanted to overthrow the government or anything to that effect.

Quote:
But in both cases, their actions were egregious, neither should be hailed as a hero by anyone.
Agreed.

Old 02-26-2010, 10:37 AM

39,031 posts, read 23,015,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Horsemen View Post
ditto. lots of anger and angst in her comments to me. could be signs of rebelistic intentions with hints of volatile rage brewing beneath the crust.
Uh ... the only anger I'm sensing is from the Stack's supporters, particularly you and Summer.

Old 02-26-2010, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
Uh ... the only anger I'm sensing is from the Stack's supporters, particularly you and Summer.
Actually, I think our arguments are logical. This will continue and probably at a greater pace so long as IRS policies continue. That is inevitable and nothing the government does can stop it (no amount of monitoring as it will only accelerate frequency of incidents). The only way to arrest the process is to look at the disease rather than the symptoms.

All of the folks spewing domestic terrorist and lunatic should be mentally examined to verify they aren't suffering from IRS stockholm syndrome.

Old 02-26-2010, 10:42 AM

938 posts, read 1,230,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post

Old 02-26-2010, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Horsemen View Post
RIP Stack and Hunter.

Old 02-26-2010, 10:50 AM

11,758 posts, read 14,647,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
Actually, I think our arguments are logical. This will continue and probably at a greater pace so long as IRS policies continue. That is inevitable and nothing the government does can stop it (no amount of monitoring as it will only accelerate frequency of incidents). The only way to arrest the process is to look at the disease rather than the symptoms.

All of the folks spewing domestic terrorist and lunatic should be mentally examined to verify they aren't suffering from IRS stockholm syndrome.

What "IRS policies"?

Or are you talking about the agency empowered by the government to carry out the policies and laws duly adopted by the United States Congress?

Old 02-26-2010, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
What "IRS policies"?

Or are you talking about the agency empowered by the government to carry out the policies and laws duly adopted by the United States Congress?
They violate the 5th amendment, so no they don't have the power. 5th amendment grants fair and speedy trial rights, and assets cannot be seized to prevent defendant from receiving appropriate legal counsel. That is imposing guilt before it exists.

Old 02-26-2010, 10:58 AM

18,381 posts, read 19,012,572 times
horsemen and summer must be way cheap to worry so much about paying their fair share of taxes. cheap cheap cheap. that is more like the underlining cause of their hatred for the IRS.

Old 02-26-2010, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
horsemen and summer must be way cheap to worry so much about paying their fair share of taxes. cheap cheap cheap. that is more like the underlining cause of their hatred for the IRS.
How are you to define who's cheap? Do you know what I give to charity, which is used in a more humanitarian way than the government could ever hope to provide? All the IRS's actions will do is push economies more underground. I will begin growing more food, begin bartering and physical exchange of precious metals, working side jobs without a W2, take in tenants for cash only, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies