Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 11:24 AM

1,747 posts, read 1,955,161 times

Advertisements

As a conservative who liked ol Ronald Reagan (for the most part).....I am completely for legalization of marijuana at the federal level.....first, since it appears that state's rights mean so little thesedays.....and fed. law trumps state law, everytime.

First of all......State's Rights NEED to trump Fed. law in every case......like it was supposed to be.

I believe the polls clearly show a lot of bipartisan support for marijuana legalization.....or its complete decriminalization for adults over 18.

ANYONE who truly supports the continuation of the status quo and finds it completely acceptable to arrest an avg. of 750,000 Americans every year for marijuana and clog up the courts/jails with IT.....SOLELY.......IS just plain STUPID and a huge waste of tax dollars!

The long-lost "War on Drugs" has cost a fortune and wrecked more lives and done more harm than good, IMO.....AND.....MOST of it was against marijuana users more than anything else.

Allow the individual to grow small amounts for personal and others, pay a tax to grow larger amounts commercially.

Farmers markets every weekend in every town across America can be held with ANYONE permitted to display their harvests and sell the fruits of their labor to the general public over 18.

Wine and other assorted items can accompany these markets and there would be PLENTY of money that COULD be made for ALL.....if the details were carefully worked out and fair legislation was the end result.

Coffeeshops and other toker bars can replace the old bar scene that catered to and contributed to plenty of drunken stupidity in America for far too long.

It COULD be a really good thing if more people would open up their eyes and get honest with themselves and reality.

But.....I'm a dreamer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2010, 11:28 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,674,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oberleutnant View Post
Funny how conservatives speak of their commitment to personal freedom but then will call for the government to limit what adults can do on their own or what consenting adults can do with each other.
Thank God, conservatives don't have a movement going on to ban tobacco and alcohol. But they are trying to get fake marijuana banned. Well, hell, instead, ban what's fake and legalize what's real!

Old 03-26-2010, 11:31 AM

3,018 posts, read 3,571,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sign View Post
As a conservative who liked ol Ronald Reagan (for the most part).....I am completely for legalization of marijuana at the federal level.....first, since it appears that state's rights mean so little thesedays.....and fed. law trumps state law, everytime.

First of all......State's Rights NEED to trump Fed. law in every case......like it was supposed to be.

I believe the polls clearly show a lot of bipartisan support for marijuana legalization.....or its complete decriminalization for adults over 18.

ANYONE who truly supports the continuation of the status quo and finds it completely acceptable to arrest an avg. of 750,000 Americans every year for marijuana and clog up the courts/jails with IT.....SOLELY.......IS just plain STUPID and a huge waste of tax dollars!

The long-lost "War on Drugs" has cost a fortune and wrecked more lives and done more harm than good, IMO.....AND.....MOST of it was against marijuana users more than anything else.

Allow the individual to grow small amounts for personal and others, pay a tax to grow larger amounts commercially.

Farmers markets every weekend in every town across America can be held with ANYONE permitted to display their harvests and sell the fruits of their labor to the general public over 18.

Wine and other assorted items can accompany these markets and there would be PLENTY of money that COULD be made for ALL.....if the details were carefully worked out and fair legislation was the end result.

Coffeeshops and other toker bars can replace the old bar scene that catered to and contributed to plenty of drunken stupidity in America for far too long.

It COULD be a really good thing if more people would open up their eyes and get honest with themselves and reality.

But.....I'm a dreamer.
Wow, you're a conservative that speaks common sense! I like it.

Old 03-26-2010, 11:31 AM

1,233 posts, read 1,219,635 times
Quote:

But.....I'm a dreamer.
WOW! Good, now go tell the faithful. Time to change it for good.

Sometimes the majority of Dems and Pubs are not so far apart.

Old 03-26-2010, 11:33 AM

15,896 posts, read 12,004,703 times
Quote:

But.....I'm a dreamer.
Great points! So, how can those of us (whether liberal or conservative) that want to see it legalized set this in motion??? I mean, it seems like the majority of people I've talked to in person, and on here don't seem to have an issue with seeing it legalized. We all know that it is nowhere near as harmful as the other illegal substances, and for that matter some of the over counter drugs and prescription drugs! Who knows maybe the legalization of pot may bring us all closer together. Joking somewhat, but you get the point. Lord knows some of these politicians on both sides need to calm their a**es down and smoke a joint!

Old 03-26-2010, 11:37 AM

9,879 posts, read 8,029,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
Great points! So, how can those of us (whether liberal or conservative) that want to see it legalized set this in motion??? I mean, it seems like the majority of people I've talked to in person, and on here don't seem to have an issue with seeing it legalized. We all know that it is nowhere near as harmful as the other illegal substances, and for that matter some of the over counter drugs and prescription drugs! Who knows maybe the legalization of pot may bring us all closer together. Joking somewhat, but you get the point. Lord knows some of these politicians on both sides need to calm their a**es down and smoke a joint!
They've been working on it for Decades:
Marijuana Law Reform - NORML
You can join a local chapter in your State

There are more politicians that have smoked a joint than you realize - probably anyone of them over age 45

Last edited by pollyrobin; 03-26-2010 at 11:47 AM..

Old 03-26-2010, 11:38 AM

3,292 posts, read 4,478,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
Fight at the state level and work with local organizations

Old 03-26-2010, 11:40 AM

3,018 posts, read 3,571,347 times
Like he said!... you should start small, at the local level, where your voice carries more weight.

Old 03-26-2010, 11:41 AM

4,049 posts, read 5,035,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanst530 View Post
You obviously don't understand conservatives. What you are referring to is called a libertarian... fiscally conservative/socially liberal.

Conservatives are fiscally conservative/socially conservative. Conservatives do support laws. Conservatives support moral standards and legalizing marijuana is not something conservatives believe in.
You'd better be for criminalizing alcohol and tobacco, then, since they are more harmful and therefore more "immoral" than cannabis. Or is what's moral to you only what fits with your culture? Maybe you could stop worrying about arbitrary "morals" and start worrying about REALITY.

Thousands of good people who choose the safer cannabis drug over alcohol are imprisoned, robbed and blacklisted with a criminal record for no good reason. That sounds much more immoral than ingesting a "God-given" natural plant.

Quote:
Lastly, sacredgrooves is not a conservative if he believes in legalizing it. Legalizing marijuana is akin to legalizing abortion for most conservatives. sacredgrooves is at best a libertarian.
Why? I can understand the abortion thing, but what harm does marijuana do?

Genesis 1:29
Then God said, "I give you every seed-bearing plant on the face of the whole earth and every tree that has fruit with seed in it. They will be yours for food.

Last I checked, cannabis is a seed-bearing plant.

Old 03-26-2010, 11:45 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,674,495 times
It's really going to be a big challenge in Oklahoma just to try to get medical marijuana legalized. To try to discourage grass roots level activity to do that, agents from the Oklahoma Bureau of Narcotics and Dangerous Drugs are going around trying to scare people by telling them, among other things, that marijuana has 400 chemicals in it. Well, dah, it's normal for a plant to contain as many a 400 chemicals.

And my state senator was uncomitted on the issue of medical marijuana until he asked a doctor's opinion about it in my town. The doctor he asked told him the medical community doesn't need medical marijuana. So the senator decided he can't get behind medical marijuana. I told him he needed to get a second opinion of another doctor in town, though retired, who supports medical marijuana. But politicians need to realize that practicing doctors can't be expected to give an objective opinion about marijuana for medical purposes, due to the stigma associated with the illegalization of marijuana.

You can go to http://okmedicalmarijuana.org to find out the surprise one lady had to face when she met with her state senator during Medical Marijuana Day at the Oklahoma State Capital last month.

Last edited by StillwaterTownie; 03-26-2010 at 11:55 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies