Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 10:54 AM

968 posts, read 2,625,380 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayneinspain View Post
WRONG, WRONG, WRONG.

The vast majority of elderly patients are dependent on their Medicare coverage for care. The ones that, for whatever reason, do not have full Medicare coverage and need either Home Health care or Skilled Nursing Home care post-discharge and are not approved simply go without.

As far as newborn/NICU care is concerned, the vast majority of those infants are born to married women.

The ones who don't typically fit that mold are very young mothers (but hey, isn't every embryo sacred? ) whose bodies simply could not properly carry a healthy baby to term.

Others are of advanced maternal age (over 35 at time of delivery), and those babies are at much higher risk of congenital birth defects.

Still others are born too early, too ill, or too damaged simply because of unknown familial genetics from both mother and father.

The ones suffering from maternal drug abuse are very low on that list when taking all cases into account.
can you post evidence or medical statistics showing this? my mother was an RN at wilford hall medical center here in san antonio, thats my source.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2010, 10:55 AM

2,884 posts, read 5,643,173 times
The OP has just perfectly described Obama's Death panel. Once he gets his way, no one over 60 will receive any treatment, just let them die..!
I have a very hard time believing the OP is a HC professional as claimed. If they are, they are in the wrong profession.

31,767 posts, read 28,830,565 times
In a developed, compassionate nation, we won't have to pick one or the other. Safety net and access to care should extend to all, with everybody contributing to the best of their capabilities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nayabone View Post
The OP has just perfectly described Obama's Death panel. Once he gets his way, no one over 60 will receive any treatment, just let them die..!
It is depressing to see some of you actually believe that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgia dem View Post
excuse me, my mother is almost 92 years old
so we should just let her suffer, after all what does she mean to you, she is just a burden.
here is an idea, why didn't Obama, when given the chance to really do something about waste, and still could, quit spending money where it goes down the sink hole
why doesn't congress, all of them from both parties, take some cuts of their own, starting with pay cuts, pork spending
why does the teachers union not take a pay freeze? how about the other big unions, good grief
You want unions to accept pay cuts, but you won't be one of the first people to ask for your own pay cut, or to ask the CEOs to take a pay cut. You also think government should pay for all, regardless of the costs, without having a way to pay for it. Don't you?

And how much do you think it will help if congress took pay cuts? Pork spending you bring up, but are they always unwarranted? I might be with you on that if it were about scrutinizing every spending that falls under it, but that is a different issue. How exactly can this nation pay for welfare programs like these while lowering taxes? Got numbers?

24,620 posts, read 28,292,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgia dem View Post
excuse me, my mother is almost 92 years old
so we should just let her suffer, after all what does she mean to you, she is just a burden.
here is an idea, why didn't Obama, when given the chance to really do something about waste, and still could, quit spending money where it goes down the sink hole
why doesn't congress, all of them from both parties, take some cuts of their own, starting with pay cuts, pork spending
why does the teachers union not take a pay freeze? how about the other big unions, good grief
As has been stated, why not just cut the military budget in half?
That would do it in one fell swoop.

Old 04-20-2010, 10:57 AM

4,792 posts, read 5,904,050 times
You cut granny and gramps out of the system...they just might cut you out of their wills.

Old 04-20-2010, 11:00 AM

5,906 posts, read 5,738,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orincarnia View Post
can you post evidence or medical statistics showing this? my mother was an RN at wilford hall medical center here in san antonio, thats my source.
No more than you have...just firsthand and anecdotal.

As a consultant, I've worked in way more than one hospital in TX, where I do know that there exists high numbers of young and/or drug-abusing maternity cases.

I've worked in 8 states, 31 facilities total.

In other words, my experience is from a wide swath of areas, not just one.

What may be typical in SA or Dallas is not necessarily the case in Minnesota, and so on.

And for the record, the majority of OB/newborn cases I saw in TX were to illegal immigrants and their anchor babies...without evidence of drugs in their systems.

Old 04-20-2010, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seren77 View Post
What I have difficulty to understand is the following scenario:

Dude X is working at a job that pays him 40K. No benefits. He can't afford healthcare. Works his tail off for 35 years. Gets a heart attack at the age of 55 as he skipped many early warnings and does not get preventive care and poor folk dies. For his 30 years of working, he contributed to medicare via SS taxes. Can't enjoy any of it as he died before reaching 65.

Dude Y is a college graduate who works a desk job making a 100K. Excellent benefits. Goes to check up every 6 months. Does everything right in terms of preventive care as he has the means to do so. Retires at 65 and obviously gets medicare. He lives to 95, stays on medicare for almost 30 years, gets the best care, millions spent on him over his retirement through medicare

Somebody please explain me how is this right? Why does the poor folk have to finance the well-off guy who lives longer because he had an easier life? How is this fair? Why is not anyone outraged because the poor folk has to spread his "wealth" to the better-off?
You're talking apples and oranges.
Social Security does not equal health insurance.
Wouldn't the US be a much nicer place if we all had good health insurance?

BTW, your Dude X contributed to his own death by ignoring warning signs.

Old 04-20-2010, 11:10 AM

Quote:
usually old people have money for these things or their children have the disposable income, and aren't using insurance, or the insurance agency is one that will make a case by case desicion in favor of the old person.

the newborn is usually from an unwed mother who has never sought treatment before plopping down in a bed, she's done drugs for years and now the baby's all f'ed up.
she didn't apply for medicaid so she has no coverage, and she lost her job cause she tried to seduce her last boss.

make sense?
What?
Where did any of this come from?
Quote:
Ahhh, so your "facts" are hearsay.
Wilford hall is a military facility; how much of that anecdotal "information" is from the real world?

How about you providing evidence or medical statistics since you admit that you have none.

Old 04-20-2010, 11:16 AM

5,906 posts, read 5,738,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
What?
Flight of fancy, I think.

The instance of maternity cases lacking good prenatal care typically fall into the following scenarios: very young teen afraid to tell her parents, drug-abusing patients who fear going to jail (wouldn't it be nice to assure them that won't happen in order to get them into the darn office for medical care?), and women who somehow fell through the cracks--too much money for Medicaid, too little for private insurance.

I can't decipher the first part of their post about elderly patients...makes my head hurt.

Old 04-20-2010, 11:18 AM

968 posts, read 2,625,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayneinspain View Post
No more than you have...just firsthand and anecdotal.

As a consultant, I've worked in way more than one hospital in TX, where I do know that there exists high numbers of young and/or drug-abusing maternity cases.

I've worked in 8 states, 31 facilities total.

In other words, my experience is from a wide swath of areas, not just one.

What may be typical in SA or Dallas is not necessarily the case in Minnesota, and so on.

And for the record, the majority of OB/newborn cases I saw in TX were to illegal immigrants and their anchor babies...without evidence of drugs in their systems.
excellent, your experiences serve you well, but do you really believe you have enough evidence to make a statistical claim as you have? i mean seeing several brown bears in america, asia and africa doesn't mean you've seen the white ones in the arctic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
What?
same place the OP got the old giezers who suck the system from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies