Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2010, 12:29 AM

23,654 posts, read 17,523,461 times

Advertisements

Well that would get Obama off the hot seat wouldn't it? Critics who say they didn't do much will need to shut up. It wouldn't help if they did. LOL Maybe Limbaugh meant something else but it just may be the first time he agrees with Obama.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2010, 01:21 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,790,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCyank View Post
Not defending Rush or minimizing the oil spill but I was reading articles in early April showing that sea turtles have been washing up in unusually high numbers this spring along several beaches in the gulf (it's not uncommon that they die and wash up in the spring but 20-30 at a time is unusual). It didn't start with the oil spill and the cause is still undetermined. The reports I have heard about the turtles found since the spill said that there was no sign of oil on the turtles or the beaches where they were found...they need to have a necropsy to determine the cause of death but at this point it is likely that the cause of death is not the oil spill.
Pre-existing conditions...
Superfund Sites in Louisiana

Note that other pre existing conditions include oil discharge damages. Oil and water do appear to separate, but not all chemicals in oil separate from water. When oil is in a tank, the water that accumulates on the bottom of that tank from condensation is in no way potable. It's toxic. There may not be the appearance of oil on an animal for these toxic residues to enter their system.

Old 05-04-2010, 05:47 AM

5,944 posts, read 5,586,637 times
Thumbs down Limbaugh, oil spill "natural" and will "take care of itself"

Limbaugh is a big fat idiot. Just last Friday, he was bloviating about the spill being the result of environmentalist sabotage. Which proves that he'll say anything to bolster the corporatist agenda, regardless of how ridiculous his toadying has to be. But as clueless as that formless blob of lard is, his dittohead followers just sit there and nod their heads in unison.

Old 05-04-2010, 06:08 AM

4,507 posts, read 9,066,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
Pre-existing conditions...
Superfund Sites in Louisiana

Note that other pre existing conditions include oil discharge damages. Oil and water do appear to separate, but not all chemicals in oil separate from water. When oil is in a tank, the water that accumulates on the bottom of that tank from condensation is in no way potable. It's toxic. There may not be the appearance of oil on an animal for these toxic residues to enter their system.
Well there is always oil seeping into the gulf, 10's of millions of gallons a year. It has been happening for thousands of years and the turtles have been living there all this time as well. My only point was that before people say that this oil slick is killing turtles they might want to know that turtles have already been dying in unusually high numbers this year unrelated to this oil spill. That doesn't mean the dead turtles didn't encounter oil in the gulf....it's hard to see how they could avoid it given the amount of natural oil seepage in the gulf. But it's likely that the dead turtles found to this point are unrelated to this oil spill.

Old 05-04-2010, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Well there is always oil seeping into the gulf, 10's of millions of gallons a year.
Cite reference for this claim please.

Old 05-04-2010, 06:18 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,418,544 times
We'll see how blase he is about the spill when the currents bring the oil from the gulf to the east coast to dump oily deposits on the beach and ocean right in front of his Palm Beach estate.

Old 05-04-2010, 06:26 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,865,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbrauer View Post
I don't like Rush one bit, but to say he's and idiot is not correct. It's the people who listen and believe what he says who are the idiots. He has made millions spinning his lies and half truths, and as much as I dislike what he says, I defend his right to say it.
I wish I had thought of it. He has several people mimicking his business plan, quite successfully. I don't think the same plan would work on the left, however, fewer people as susceptible.

Old 05-04-2010, 06:32 AM

Recognize this FEMA jerk?

YouTube - Michael Brown: Obama Wanted The Oil Spill To Happen

Old 05-04-2010, 06:33 AM

4,507 posts, read 9,066,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
Cite reference for this claim please.
Here's one. I'm sure you can find others as well.
Scientists Find That Tons Of Oil Seep Into The Gulf Of Mexico Each Year
Regarding NATURAL oil seepage into The Gulf of Mexico each year....
Quote:
The number is twice the Exxon Valdez's spill per year, and that's a conservative estimate
This one has some cool photos of large, natural oil slicks in The Gulf.

http://geology.com/nasa/oil-seeps/

Old 05-04-2010, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Here's one. I'm sure you can find others as well.
Scientists Find That Tons Of Oil Seep Into The Gulf Of Mexico Each Year
Regarding NATURAL oil seepage into The Gulf of Mexico each year....
This one has some cool photos of large, natural oil slicks in The Gulf.

Natural Oil Seeps in the Gulf of Mexico
The article said ooze, then bubbles, then made a wild leap to 2x valdez without disclosing how they went about that math.

Quote:
To get an estimate of how much oil seeps into the Gulf each year, the researchers took into account the thickness of the oil-only a hundredth of a millimeter, the area of ocean surface covered by slicks, and how long the oil remains on the surface before it's consumed by bacteria or churned up by waves. "The number is twice the Exxon Valdez's spill per year, and that's a conservative estimate," said Mitchell.

With funding from NASA, EarthSat researchers began this work in the early 1990s using Landsat satellite and radar data to identify marine oil seeps for petroleum exploration.
They were singing for grant money and fanning the appetites for prospectors. Would that much oil be on the surface of the water free for the taking, it would be an incentive to harvest without multi billion equipment.

Asphalt volcano - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Over the course of centuries. That's why it's been undetected up until recently.

Greenwashing that has generated the seep theory of 'it's not so bad'... Gulf of Mexico Foundation: Home

Guess who's on the board of directors? BP and transocean.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies