Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2010, 10:26 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,833,891 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
The concentration of oil is not natural, but oil is a natural occurrence, it's always seeping up from the sea floor, and the ocean will eventually clean it all up. Don't be so thin skinned.
Limpbag is making millions saying stupid things like he did. How much do you make, defending and propagating his idiocy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2010, 12:20 PM

1,041 posts, read 1,526,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Oil leaks into the environment all the time..
The Mystery Of Lake Baikal's Oil Leak
lol? How many people live near that lake? Can you see the difference between an human-triggered event and a naturally occuring one?

Quote:
In a way, one could argue that we are doing the environment a favor by taking the pollution out of the earth to get rid of it..
Wow, I hope you realized you were really streching it when you typed that sentence. So to you, it's better to have oil pouring into the ocean than having it trapped deep into earth's crust? Totally makes sense

Quote:
Now you are changing the equation to something that humans did to create damage that did not exist previously..
I don't think that you are fit to say anyone changes equations after claming that this catastrophe is totally natural.

Quote:
But yet that hasnt stopped the left from blaming Bush for Katrina..
The left (among others) blamed Bush's slow response. Obama will probably get his fair share of blame if significant damage happens. People will look back and wonder why the president only declared this an emergency after about 10 days.

Quote:
See above comment about Katrina, then come back and talk about "the right"...
I don't care about your little right/left feud. I'm saying that politicians are opportunistic and inconsistent. Always have been, always will be, regardless of political affiliations.

You're the one making up bizarre excuses for this awful mess because you want to defend those who look kinda silly with their "drill, baby drill" campaign.

On the other hand, people should realize that this platform's construction began in 1998 (was probably approved before that) so the "drill, baby drill" relatively recent campaign has no incidence on this event. People should stop confusing things.

Old 05-04-2010, 12:27 PM

Btw, I don't know why people are talking about Katrina. An hurricane is not an oil spill and vice-versa. They are two seperate events with entirely different context.

During Katrina, which was quick and devastating, all levels of government failed and the consequences were immediate and visually shocking. Bush's ratings were already getting hammered by the Iraqi insurgency and his failure to display real leadership during Katrina simply broke the camel's back.

This oil spill is a lot slower and has yet to cause any significant damage. If it does create the same kind of trauma Katrina did, people will start pointing fingers and the president will probably get hurt, especially for claiming that "offshore drilling is safe" weeks before. For the moment, people are still hoping it will be stopped and contained.

Old 05-04-2010, 12:31 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,143,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeLucasLongLostChin View Post
lol? How many people live near that lake?
I bet more live near the lake than live in the middle of the Gulf of Mexico.. (and in the event you miss the idea, ZERO live in the ocean)..
Quote:
Can you see the difference between an human-triggered event and a naturally occuring one?
They both cause damage to the environment. How is one less hazardous than the other?
Quote:
Wow, I hope you realized you were really streching it when you typed that sentence. So to you, it's better to have oil pouring into the ocean than having it trapped deep into earth's crust? Totally makes sense
Obviously its better to take it out of the earths crust and burn it off, to stop it from leaking into the oceans in the future, would you not agree?
Quote:
I don't think that you are fit to say anyone changes equations after claming that this catastrophe is totally natural.
I never claimed the disaster is natural, I said the material is natural. Are you now telling me oil doesnt appear naturally?
Quote:
The left (among others) blamed Bush's slow response. Obama will probably get his fair share of blame if significant damage happens. People will look back and wonder why the president only declared this an emergency after about 10 days.
I believe it was 12 days, but the time period doesnt concern me. I've passed no blame upon either president.. Taking care of disasters isnt part of their job requirement.
Quote:
I don't care about your little right/left feud. I'm saying that politicians are opportunistic and inconsistent. Always have been, always will be, regardless of political affiliations.
Then why did you turn it into a "right contradicting itself" posting?
Quote:
You're the one making up bizarre excuses for this awful mess because you want to defend those who look kinda silly with their "drill, baby drill" campaign.

On the other hand, people should realize that this platform's construction began in 1998 (was probably approved before that) so the "drill, baby drill" relatively recent campaign has no incidence on this event. People should stop confusing things.
I made no such "excuse" for the mess. I simply pointed out that oil appears naturally in the environment and damages the environment naturally as well as man made. The oil will dissipate in this disaster just like it has since the beginning of time.

Old 05-04-2010, 12:32 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,709,355 times
Far be it from the United States to force Emergency Aid on States that do not believe in Federal Interference

Old 05-04-2010, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Btw, I don't know why people are talking about Katrina. An hurricane is not an oil spill and vice-versa. They are two seperate events with entirely different context.
Because they are both disasters..
Quote:
During Katrina, which was quick and devastating, all levels of government failed and the consequences were immediate and visually shocking. Bush's ratings were already getting hammered by the Iraqi insurgency and his failure to display real leadership during Katrina simply broke the camel's back.
Only to those who dont understand that Katrina wasnt the responsibility of Bush, just like the oil spill isnt the responsibility of Obamas to clean up. The comparison is valid..
Quote:
This oil spill is a lot slower and has yet to cause any significant damage. If it does create the same kind of trauma Katrina did, people will start pointing fingers and the president will probably get hurt, especially for claiming that "offshore drilling is safe" weeks before. For the moment, people are still hoping it will be stopped and contained.
So now you agree there isnt significant damage, which has me confused why you bothered attacking the "drill baby drill" supporters previously..

Old 05-04-2010, 12:37 PM

4,049 posts, read 5,033,972 times
Quote:
do you understand how its both, its a NATURAL disaster, the location has just changed. Oil after all, does appear in the environment..
That's like taking a salt-water fish, putting it in a fresh-water lake and when it dies you say, "What? It was in a natural habitat..."

Old 05-04-2010, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicIsYourFriend View Post
That's like taking a salt-water fish, putting it in a fresh-water lake and when it dies you say, "What? It was in a natural habitat..."
So you are telling me oil doesnt exist in the Gulf of Mexico?
Then explain to me why all of the drilling wells are there?

Old 05-04-2010, 12:45 PM

Quote:
I bet more live near the lake than live in the middle of the Gulf of Mexico.. (and in the event you miss the idea, ZERO live in the ocean)..
Let me rephrase. How many people set up around a lake in Siberia which leaks oil compared to the number of people living around the Gulf of Mexico?

Quote:
They both cause damage to the environment. How is one less hazardous than the other?
It's not about hazard but prevention. Naturally occuring disasters cannot be prevented. You can only prepare for them. Human-triggered disasters can be prevented.

Quote:
Obviously its better to take it out of the earths crust and burn it off, to stop it from leaking into the oceans in the future, would you not agree?
Maybe it's me but your sentence makes no sense.

Quote:
I never claimed the disaster is natural, I said the material is natural. Are you now telling me oil doesnt appear naturally?
Uranium is natural too. Doesn't mean it's awesome to spread it everywhere cuz it's natural.

Quote:
I believe it was 12 days, but the time period doesnt concern me. I've passed no blame upon either president.. Taking care of disasters isnt part of their job requirement.
I'm just staying blame will probably come if damage increases.

Quote:
Then why did you turn it into a "right contradicting itself" posting?
Out of curiosity. Does one necessarily have to approach every issue with a right vs left state of mind?

Quote:
I made no such "excuse" for the mess. I simply pointed out that oil appears naturally in the environment and damages the environment naturally as well as man made. The oil will dissipate in this disaster just like it has since the beginning of time.
No, you said Katrina and this spill are the same thing, that they are both "natural" disasters. Read your own replies.

Old 05-04-2010, 12:49 PM

758 posts, read 2,241,889 times
To the genius that said this was a natural disaster... LMAO!

I don't think this is partisan at all. People who make it partisan are idiotic. Democrats and Republicans of all walks of life depend heavily on oil and have probably, at some point or another, purchased gasoline that was derived from oil extracted from the gulf of Mexico.

Saying this is a natural disaster is grossly asinine, and sadly irresponsible. That's like saying Chernobyl was a natural disaster. "Plutonium happens naturally due to mixtures of barium, krypton, etc..."

Whether ur republican, or democrat... the oil rig failure of the gulf of Mexico is NOT a natural disaster. Are we even debating that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies