Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2010, 12:49 PM

1,041 posts, read 1,526,024 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Because they are both disasters..

Only to those who dont understand that Katrina wasnt the responsibility of Bush, just like the oil spill isnt the responsibility of Obamas to clean up. The comparison is valid..

So now you agree there isnt significant damage, which has me confused why you bothered attacking the "drill baby drill" supporters previously..
Does the entire US coast has to be covered in an oil slick to demonstrate the dangers of drilling offshores? It's no different than people who were all gung ho before Iraq and cooled down after they saw the results.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2010, 12:49 PM

45,590 posts, read 27,215,643 times
FYI from NOAA...

Prince William's Oily Mess: A Tale of Recovery

Exxon Valdez Oil Spill 20 Years Later: An NOS Scientist’s Perspective

While the oil spill had a profound effect on Prince William Sound — for example, oil still lingers under the gravel at some beaches — the study found that shoreline marine life in the area went through a natural ebb and flow over a cycle of four to seven years.

The study also helped answer the question of how well and how quickly Alaska’s Prince William Sound recovered from the oil.

"Everything depends on how you define recovery. We were looking at the biology, the marine life, its abundance, variety, diversity, and that has definitely recovered. In fact, after many years we looked back through the data and findings with statistics and found that it had recovered within three to four years — the conspicuous marine life in the intertidal zone,” Mearns said.

“Clams and softer beach areas took a lot longer to recover — more like 10 to 12 years — and we think a lot of those were blown out by the high pressure washing," he added.

Looks like we did more damage with the method of clean up.

Old 05-04-2010, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicIsYourFriend View Post
That's like taking a salt-water fish, putting it in a fresh-water lake and when it dies you say, "What? It was in a natural habitat..."
I think this guy has a problem with words and their meaning.

To him, getting tasered is the same thing has getting struck by lightning.

Following his logic, we could do anything we wanted and blame nature! I will grab him and put his mouth around my car exhaust. When he dies and I get arrested for murder, I will say for my defense "your honor, carbon monoxide is everywhere in nature!" and they will release me promptly!!!

Old 05-04-2010, 01:00 PM

4,049 posts, read 5,033,972 times
Quote:
So you are telling me oil doesnt exist in the Gulf of Mexico?
Then explain to me why all of the drilling wells are there?
Are you reading your own words? You must be joking, acting like this is natural. Why don't we burn a forest down since fire naturally occurs? Why don't we soak the interior upholstery of your car with oil since oil is naturally in your car?

Old 05-04-2010, 01:02 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,143,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeLucasLongLostChin View Post
Let me rephrase. How many people set up around a lake in Siberia which leaks oil compared to the number of people living around the Gulf of Mexico?
Whats your point? That people live around the Gulf of Mexico, therefore we shouldnt be drilling for oil there? Where exactly should we be drilling then? Are you now admitting that oil leaks into the waters around the world? (btw, the lake of Siberia is just ONE location where it leaks). estimates are up to 2,000,000 metric tons of oil a year leak into the ocean naturally. (per US Geological Services)
http://www.springerlink.com/content/...ext.pdf?page=1
Quote:
It's not about hazard but prevention. Naturally occuring disasters cannot be prevented. You can only prepare for them. Human-triggered disasters can be prevented.
Obviously they cant be.. Disasters occur, or else they wouldnt be considered a disaster..
Quote:
Maybe it's me but your sentence makes no sense.
Or more than likely you are being obtuse. the more we take out of the environment, the less future leakage into the ocean and lakes can occur..
Quote:
Uranium is natural too. Doesn't mean it's awesome to spread it everywhere cuz it's natural.
Where did I support spreading it everywhere? Or anywhere for that matter. Hell, I supported removing it so it cant spread at all.. Naturally, or unaturally..
Quote:
I'm just staying blame will probably come if damage increases.
And the blame would be just as wrong as those who blamed Bush for Katrina..
Quote:
Out of curiosity. Does one necessarily have to approach every issue with a right vs left state of mind?
I didnt start the thread, maybe you should direct your question to those who made it a "right wing" issue..
Quote:
No, you said Katrina and this spill are the same thing, that they are both "natural" disasters. Read your own replies.
Again, does the oil appear naturally in the environment, or does mankind pump it into the core so we can pump it back out?

Old 05-04-2010, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicIsYourFriend View Post
Are you reading your own words? You must be joking, acting like this is natural. Why don't we burn a forest down since fire naturally occurs? Why don't we soak the interior upholstery of your car with oil since oil is naturally in your car?
We actually do burn down forests in order to contain future fires..

Old 05-04-2010, 01:05 PM

2,104 posts, read 1,443,774 times
Hi. My mom and dad and Fox news said it must be true, so pardon me while I take my pretty hair-do to the C-D forum and parrot my idols.

When I grow up, I want to be cool, and have cool hair.

Old 05-04-2010, 01:05 PM

Quote:
I think this guy has a problem with words and their meaning.

To him, getting tasered is the same thing has getting struck by lightning.

Following his logic, we could do anything we wanted and blame nature! I will grab him and put his mouth around my car exhaust. When he dies and I get arrested for murder, I will say for my defense "your honor, carbon monoxide is everywhere in nature!" and they will release me promptly!!!
I say its more likely that you are less educated on the topic..
Try http://www.springerlink.com/content/...ext.pdf?page=1
Thus, natural oil seeps may be the single most important source of oil that enters the ocean, exceeding each of the various sources of crude oil that enters the ocean through its exploitation by humankind.

Oil ALREADY enters the ocean through NATURAL OIL SEEPS.. to the tune of 2,000,000 metric tons A YEAR!

Old 05-04-2010, 01:13 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,021,617 times
Quote:
I say its more likely that you are less educated on the topic..
Try http://www.springerlink.com/content/...ext.pdf?page=1
Thus, natural oil seeps may be the single most important source of oil that enters the ocean, exceeding each of the various sources of crude oil that enters the ocean through its exploitation by humankind.

Oil ALREADY enters the ocean through NATURAL OIL SEEPS.. to the tune of 2,000,000 metric tons A YEAR!
You know, y'all can argue about this til the cows come home, but what good is it really doing?
Come join us down here and wash some birds and wildlife, instead of pointing fingers and spewing stuff that wont matter in the long run!
I guarantee you will feel better about yourself.

Old 05-04-2010, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Or more than likely you are being obtuse. the more we take out of the environment, the less future leakage into the ocean and lakes can occur.."""

Where did I support spreading it everywhere? Or anywhere for that matter. Hell, I supported removing it so it cant spread at all.. Naturally, or unaturally.."""
I read your comments but those two are really amazing. You falsly assume that oil underground will necessarily and eventually leak into the ocean.

It would be better if you would just stop caling this a natural event instead of trying to modify reality to fit with your argument. Yes, in some cases, oil will leak naturally, but in this case, it's caused by human intervention and therefor, not a "natural" disaster.

Any way you slice it or dice it, it's not a natural disaster.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies