Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2022, 05:37 PM

33,315 posts, read 12,551,747 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
What an incredible game; the Niners dominated every aspect. Who knew Purdy would be the star attraction/story of the day in the NFL (rather than Brady coming ‘home’). Brady looked like the rookie QB. :-)

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing.

The results look like a role switch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2022, 09:34 PM

472 posts, read 326,299 times
Let's not forget that the 49ers wanted Purdy to be the 2nd string QB. They just weren't able to trade Garrapolo. Also, I still believe that the 49ers only started Trey Lance because he was drafted so high, and they gave up so many draft picks for him. They felt OBLIGATED to start him.

Old 12-13-2022, 07:33 AM

8,683 posts, read 3,879,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelingBoat View Post
Let's not forget that the 49ers wanted Purdy to be the 2nd string QB. They just weren't able to trade Garrapolo.
Garoppolo had a restructured (one year) deal which included no-trade/no-tag clauses. The Niners clearly intended him to be the 2nd string QB. That said, he’ll be a free agent next year.

Old 12-13-2022, 05:29 PM

10,352 posts, read 8,578,998 times
It’s funny we pick lance and trade everything to get him and yet mr irrelevant turns out to be the quarterback we were looking for.
Purdue has way more poise than I would ever expect.
I still feel bad for garrapolo though. He can’t catch a break.
Next up.. sea chickens.

Old 12-14-2022, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
It’s funny we pick lance and trade everything to get him and yet mr irrelevant turns out to be the quarterback we were looking for.
It’s a bit premature to suggest he’s ‘everything we’re looking for’; heh, it’s been one game. Even great QBs can be a bit sporadic - yet alone a rookie (and a Mr. Irrelevant at that). That said, Purdy stole the show from Brady/his homecoming; and keeps the Niners well-positioned to take the division.

Quote:
Purdue has way more poise than I would ever expect.
Quote:
Next up.. sea chickens.
His name is Purdy (from Iowa State); but yes, everyone was amazed by his poise and control - despite barely looking old enough to shave, lol. I’m looking forward to TNF; I think the Niners clinch with a win over Seattle.

Quote:
From my perspective, there isn’t any reason to feel badly for Garoppolo.

Old 12-14-2022, 09:56 AM

10,352 posts, read 8,578,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
It’s a bit premature to suggest he’s ‘everything we’re looking for’; heh, it’s been one game. Even great QBs can be a bit sporadic - yet alone a rookie (and a Mr. Irrelevant at that). That said, Purdy stole the show from Brady/his homecoming; and keeps the Niners well-positioned to take the division.

His name is Purdy (from Iowa State); but yes, everyone was amazed by his poise and control - despite barely looking old enough to shave, lol. I’m looking forward to TNF; I think the Niners clinch with a win over Seattle.

From my perspective, there isn’t any reason to feel badly for Garoppolo.
Stupid spell check corrected my spelling of purdy.

Garopolo mostly kept quiet while knowing lance was going to replace him and there was a lot of negative things said about him.
I think of Alex Smith, a good guy who got replaced by kapernek (sp).

Old 12-14-2022, 10:01 AM

11,512 posts, read 6,027,599 times
Quote:
Purdy has way more poise than I would ever expect.
Next up.. sea chickens.
Wait until Purdy has some film on him. Nick Mullens looked great his first game too. You can't judge a rookie of one game. Talk to me after 20 starts or so. That is around the time you know what you really have with a QB.

I never trusted Belichick with Garapolo. He never gives you a great deal.

Old 12-14-2022, 11:35 AM

26,221 posts, read 49,072,443 times
Front page on the WaPo on 12 DEC was this headline:
"What to know from NFL Week 14: The 49ers are Purdy, Purdy, Purdy good"

Excerpt from article: "The 49ers can win it all with Brock Purdy. But they’ll have to do it without Deebo Samuel for a while. No team in the NFL has been more snakebit with injuries than the 49ers. As Purdy excelled in his first start in relief of the injured Jimmy Garoppolo, Samuel exited the 35-7 win with an injury that was not as bad as it first seemed. Samuel’s injury placed a cloud over Purdy’s debut as a starter, which could be summarized in one word: wow. The rookie out of Iowa State, who was taken with the final pick in the draft, ran for a touchdown and completed 14 of 18 passes for 185 yards and two touchdowns by halftime, at which point the 49ers led the Tampa Bay Buccaneers 28-0. Purdy was far more than a placeholder. On one play, he rolled out on a play-action fake, danced around a free rusher and fired a strike for 19 yards. He lofted a beautiful pass down the sideline to Christian McCaffrey for a touchdown. With 15 seconds left in the first half, he rifled a bomb to Brandon Aiyuk, then shot a finger gun. He looked, acted and played like a veteran. Purdy’s competence is all the 49ers need for a Super Bowl run."

It was good to see Tom Brady have a crappy day; I don't wish him ill but I admit I'm tired of teams or players who feel entitled to win every time they show up. I got the same feeling watching Tiger Woods at the later stages of his career. Maybe it's partly the media's fault, since the media always treated it like some sort of insult to the team or player if the hand of fate kept them from winning every time.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 12-14-2022, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Excerpt from article: "The 49ers can win it all with Brock Purdy. But they’ll have to do it without Deebo Samuel for a while. No team in the NFL has been more snakebit with injuries than the 49ers.
No kidding re: the injuries. That said, Deebo is expected to return before the end of the season - hopefully.

Quote:
Quote:
Garopolo mostly kept quiet while knowing lance was going to replace him and there was a lot of negative things said about him.
I’m assuming you don’t generally follow sports i.e. you’re (oddly) breaking it down to ‘negative things said about him’ vs. reality/his overall performance and injuries.

Quote:
I think of Alex Smith, a good guy who got replaced by kapernek (sp).
What does being a ‘good guy’ have to do with performance and injuries? It’s sports i.e. it is what it is. Smith went on to have a decent run with the Chiefs, anyway.

Old 12-15-2022, 07:32 PM

33,315 posts, read 12,551,747 times
No Amazon Prime, so I can't see the video feed.

I finally found an internet station that is allowing listening to the game here in Texas rather than blocking it (670 AM out of Las Vegas).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football