Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2016, 04:58 PM

6,617 posts, read 6,548,535 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I think part of it also is that babies aren't generally as warm to strangers as puppies...you can go up to a puppy you've never met and he will be thrilled if you hold him and will cover you with kisses on sight, while a human baby you've never met won't be as thrilled to passed off among strangers so it's not as much fun.
Well I tend to disagree on those points. I've always loved dogs since I was a small child.

I wasn't "attracted" to babies when I was young. Only after I had my own kids, and my own grandchild did I pay much attention to babies in general.

Old 12-10-2016, 04:58 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,253,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Never really understood people who think pets take less work. Pets will always need to be fed and cleaned up after daily, for their entire lives.
Kids on the other hand are generally potty trained within a few years, and can be pretty competent in the kitchen by the time they are around 10 yrs old +/-

Seriously? You can't even remotely compare the two...

Old 12-10-2016, 05:00 PM

6,617 posts, read 6,548,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
So you are comparing animals with humans and think this is equal or okay?
I think it isn't being equal or ok, as the title says, it's just a visceral reaction. Everyone is different and that's fine.

Old 12-10-2016, 05:28 PM

16,079 posts, read 21,163,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
Seriously? You can't even remotely compare the two...
Sure I can, I've raised cats, dogs, rodents, birds, fish, and kids. Ask me which I'd take if I had to spend the next 20 yrs doing it again and I'd take the kids, they grow up and get easier, animals never do.

Old 12-10-2016, 10:31 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,599,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanillaChocolate View Post
And animals whimpering is better than babies screeching.
I don't know. If my baby cries when he wakes up and is hungry, it doesn't annoy me. When my dog starts whining and making disgusting lip smacking grooming sounds in the night, it's a one way ticket to getting the boot from my room and relegated to the downstairs. Dogs licking is my misophonic nails on the chalkboard.

Old 12-10-2016, 10:53 PM

4,575 posts, read 5,194,363 times
Quote:
Never really understood people who think pets take less work. Pets will always need to be fed and cleaned up after daily, for their entire lives.
Kids on the other hand are generally potty trained within a few years, and can be pretty competent in the kitchen by the time they are around 10 yrs old +/-
Well with pets, it depends on where you keep them.

Any dogs I had stayed outside. We had a fenced backyard big enough for them to run around in. It helped they were min pins. So no cleaning up after them was needed. And feeding them daily just involved dumping some dog food out. You don't have to cook, or prepare, anything for your pets.

You don't have to sit up waiting for the dog to fall asleep, like you would a baby, who may take hours calming down and getting back to sleep -on top of you having work or school the same morning. NOW if you have large and louder dogs, that can keep you awake with barking. But easier to drown that out and sleep, rather than the baby crying, which you can't just ignore. lol

Even with pets you pick up after. Have a rabbit. He uses the bathroom on paper. Getting the paper up, and putting new paper down takes all of 2 min. And it doesn't need to be done daily. Cleaning a soiled baby will take longer, and be much messier when the crap is smeared everywhere and all over the baby's back, they then need a bath and thorough cleaning to avoid UTI.

Taking the dog to the vet. Easier task than a baby, or child to a doctor. Given the screaming and fighting that may come with it. Or the child who screams and makes a scene in public. And nowadays, if you spank or pop them, someone will be calling the police for child abuse.

Then worrying about the teen years, and when they become sexually active, and either get pregnant, or get someone else pregnant. Now you have 2 babies to take care of. Your own, that hasn't even finished school, and a grandchild. At least you can get pets fixed. Not so much with kids. lol You don't have to help the pets with homework, nor save for college with pets.

And in many cases, you won't have the pet for 18+ years like a child. Kids will probably always need their parents for something, and it's a lifetime responsibility, even after they're grown. I think of The Cosby Show. Cliff and Claire have 5 kids. And it's a theme of the show that they can't keep all of their kids out of the house. They always have to come right back home, bringing husbands and kids.

Or the kids that never wanna move out, and are living at home unto their 40s.

You may have to care for the pet all their lives. But you may have to care for children / grandchildren all of YOUR life. lol Depending on what kind of kids you end up with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I don't know. If my baby cries when he wakes up and is hungry, it doesn't annoy me. When my dog starts whining and making disgusting lip smacking grooming sounds in the night, it's a one way ticket to getting the boot from my room and relegated to the downstairs. Dogs licking is my misophonic nails on the chalkboard.
I don't mind that. Dogs can get pretty loud, but I think the babies top it. And like you said, if the dog gets annoying, you can kick them out. The baby screaming right in you ear you have to listen to until they decide to stop. I recall the story with my parents. My brother or I would cry, and the 2 of them would wake up arguing about who needs to get us. And both would scream about how they had to go to work. lol

But the loud dog is easier to get around than the loud baby. Especially given I never kept dogs in the house. They were outside pets, brought into the house now and again.

Last edited by HappyRain; 12-10-2016 at 11:08 PM..

Old 12-11-2016, 12:44 AM

6,895 posts, read 5,867,667 times
Young human babies are undercooked. I understand the biological reason for this - with our big brains, we'd never make it out of the birth canal if we weren't born comparatively underdeveloped. But it does mean that most newborn baby humans look like a lot like fetuses whereas newborn puppies are more vigorous. Within a few weeks baby humans still look and act pretty much the same, whereas puppies are already up and about. I don't think it's terribly surprising that the latter is cuter and more engaging to a lot of people.

Old 12-11-2016, 08:01 AM

50,828 posts, read 36,527,673 times
Quote:
One of the things I like about pets is you never have to prepare them for the real world, and you never have to prepare them to live on their own...I'm a natural worrier, and if I had a kid I would have a hard time letting him become independent, I would be terrified as soon as he was old enough to ride his bike away from the house. With a dog though, you can just love them and keep them safe and never let them out of your sight or worry about their future.

The drawback of course is to get your heart broken over and over every 10 or 15 years.

[CENTER]SaveSave[/CENTER]

Old 12-11-2016, 08:42 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,970,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanillaChocolate View Post
Well with pets, it depends on where you keep them.

Any dogs I had stayed outside. We had a fenced backyard big enough for them to run around in. It helped they were min pins. So no cleaning up after them was needed. And feeding them daily just involved dumping some dog food out. You don't have to cook, or prepare, anything for your pets.
I feel sorry for your Miniature Pinschers. The dog next door stays outside all the time. She's going crazy from loneliness and boredom and constantly lunges at our shared fence, trying to get into our yard. Because of this, she's destroying the fence slowly and whenever she makes a hole, she peeks through it wanting to play with my dogs. I don't understand why people get a dog, only to throw them out in the backyard alone all the time. What's the point of using a dog as a living piece of patio furniture? At least outdoor working dogs have a purpose.

Old 12-11-2016, 09:17 AM

258 posts, read 234,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wall st kid View Post
When i see a cute kid or cute baby, i have no reaction whatsoever, subconsciously, or not. When i see a cute dog however, my heart melts and i feel so happy, my face lights up like a kid on christmas morning, i feel so 'different' with adorable dog vs adorable human.

I don't 'melt' when i see a cute young human, no matter how cute they are, i have no internal reaction to the event. With dogs, its much different.

I'm like that too. For me it's because I know that kid/baby will grow into a person. I've seen cute kids in the past that said horrible things, mean things. And eventually they will all be judgemental self absorbed jerks anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology