Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 07:21 AM

1,682 posts, read 3,449,222 times

Advertisements

Do you believe that people with more money are entitled to a better public education for their children?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2010, 07:38 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,942,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexWolfpacker View Post
^ were you here when the same group of backers succeeded at defeating the billion dollar school bond 10 years ago? their strategic target voter then was older voters with no children isn school. "why pay $100 more in tax for schools when your kids are out of school? let the people with kids in school worry about it."so they succeeded at that, thereby causing tremedous assignment issues, and then this time targeted those people with those assignment issues I'm not sure if they told them they were the ones that created the assignment issues to start with
I was here. I voted against the bond issue, as did just about everyone I knew at work and in my neighborhood, most of whom were the parents of school age children. While there might be some common support between that bond issue and today's board, I don't think there's a vast voter conspiracy connecting the two. There were large problems with the bond that were not well-justified. On top of that, proponents were predicting calamity without it (and lost credibility when the sky didn't fall as predicted).

Still, I suppose you can say that having less school resources than the county might have had with the bond issue did exacerbate assignment issues, which lead to some of the frustration that caused some of the old board members to be voted out.

Old 06-28-2010, 07:45 AM

4,280 posts, read 5,938,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roscomac View Post
Do you believe that people with more money are entitled to a better public education for their children?
No. Public education systems should provide very good educational opportunities for all students; regardless of income levels. Admittedly some students will not take advantage of the opportunities available, but these opportunities need to exist for all.

I am not blind to the Lake Wobegon comparisons of my statement; "where all students are above average." But if you separate educational opportunites into classifications of "Poor", "Good", "Very Good", and "Excellent", then public schools should strive for "Very Good" and no schools are allowed to provide "Poor" educational opportunities.

The classification of "Excellent" may be beyond what the public can afford for all buildings, and the concept of the law of diminishing returns would support that too few students would require/utilize these additional opportunities to provide them to all. The additional options which separate a Very Good from an Excellent may be best served by Magnet Schools which a large district like WCPSS can support.

Not every school needs a competitive dance team, not every school needs a full string orchestra. But if these are available in Magnet Schols, then they are available to all interested students - even if the traditional high schools are Very Good rather than Excellent.

Just my $0.02

Old 06-28-2010, 10:49 AM

182 posts, read 386,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
I was here. I voted against the bond issue, as did just about everyone I knew at work and in my neighborhood, most of whom were the parents of school age children. While there might be some common support between that bond issue and today's board, I don't think there's a vast voter conspiracy connecting the two. There were large problems with the bond that were not well-justified. On top of that, proponents were predicting calamity without it (and lost credibility when the sky didn't fall as predicted).

Still, I suppose you can say that having less school resources than the county might have had with the bond issue did exacerbate assignment issues, which lead to some of the frustration that caused some of the old board members to be voted out.
after you voted against the school bond, did you then complain about assignemnt issues because there wasn't sufficient space ?

it's not a voter conspiracy. they didn't see the agenda and still don't. it's the folks that agitate the voters. same group for neighborhood schools as it for defeating the bond

you bond vote caused the assignment issues that followed

now, wait until we get disaster schools in poor neighborhoods. they will then use that to agitate for vouchers. they said it already

Role of public schools questioned - Wake County - NewsObserver.com

Old 06-28-2010, 11:51 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,942,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexWolfpacker View Post
after you voted against the school bond, did you then complain about assignemnt issues because there wasn't sufficient space ? it's not a voter conspiracy. they didn't see the agenda and still don't. it's the folks that agitate the voters. same group for neighborhood schools as it for defeating the bondyou bond vote caused the assignment issues that followed
So I guess the $1B bond issue was the only way to address facilities requirements, and if one was against that (and all the excess crap they tried to throw into it), one was against all possible solutions, such as a more reasonable bond request? I don't think voters had to take what the school administration tried to cram down their throats with doomsday predictions or forever be banned from ever complaining about anything ever again. To many of us, the administration was the problem.

As for your link to the agenda - yup, I do think that's it. Quite frankly the assignment issue is a diversion. The new board has much more fundamental transformation of the school system in mind beyond just shuffling the seats.

Old 06-28-2010, 12:06 PM

182 posts, read 386,526 times
^ it was a disaster. school construction has never caught up from the delay. costs shot up in the two years it took to reload a bond issues half the amount, the another bond followed such that the two equalled the original bond, only we got half of the space for it. the only thing that has releived some pressure is the Great Recession and the stoppage of growth.

you have to see that what these people are after is to damage public schools, not improve them. every time they damage them, they come back two years later and take advantage of the damage they caused, and few see the chain of events

I'm all for efficient spending, but they could have made that the goal, not defeating the bond. defeating the bond caused an enormous loss of purchasing power, but, again, that advances of their goal. a billion dollar school bond would have been one of the most impressive economic development tools to ever happen for RTP. when these folks get what they're after, our school system will be in shambles and be a negative for economic development instead.

nobody is going to crow about a school system that only works well in some neighborhoods and is a disaster in others. why do you think Durham has had a fraction of the growth Wake Co has over the decades?

Old 06-28-2010, 12:26 PM

4,280 posts, read 5,938,202 times
Default View from an interested outsider

It "appears" the goal is to divert public dollars away from the traditional public schools where use of such funds is accountable to the public, and send these dollars to quasi-private schools where administrators can use the money in any manner they see fit without any public oversight.

This seems very close to orchestrated theft of public dollars!

Old 06-28-2010, 01:50 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,045,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post
It "appears" the goal is to divert public dollars away from the traditional public schools where use of such funds is accountable to the public, and send these dollars to quasi-private schools where administrators can use the money in any manner they see fit without any public oversight.

Is there any connection between what you suggest and members of the board of education or their strong supporters both financial and other? It is a nice sounding conspiracy but is there any connection that should really raise the red flag?

Old 06-28-2010, 02:03 PM

2,009 posts, read 3,584,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post

The oversight of the quasi-private schools is provided by the parents of the students. At least with a voucher system.

So the gov't is allowing me to use my education taxes dollars in a manor I choose. But in a world where gov't knows best I can see your point of view.

Old 06-28-2010, 02:07 PM

2,459 posts, read 8,079,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Is there any connection between what you suggest and members of the board of education or their strong supporters both financial and other? It is a nice sounding conspiracy but is there any connection that should really raise the red flag?

I think the link ApexWolfpacker posted above connects the dots on the folks involved.
I've been a student and an educator in both private and public education systems so I believe both can work, but the details can be problematic.

Frank
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary