Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2022, 09:32 PM

9,782 posts, read 15,836,055 times

Advertisements

Yay Wawa! Now y'all are going to have to learn to say "hoagies."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2022, 10:37 PM

6,411 posts, read 5,542,471 times
The grocery store obsession was one thing.... as someone who now enjoys shopping at both Publix and Wegmans (the latter exceptionally more-so) I can get the grocery store fanboyism....

But gas stations?

That's gonna be a no from me dawg.

FWIW I tried Wawa in NJ on a roadtrip for a bachelor party in NYC a few years ago. The sub was fine (much better subs can be had at Wegmans and Publix FWIW)....but the "wow" factor was not there.

Also...nobody outside Philly is calling a sub a hoagie. Just like how nobody outside of New England and a few enclaves in the midwest are going to call it a grinder. SorryNotSorry

Old 03-12-2022, 12:28 AM

9,782 posts, read 15,836,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
The grocery store obsession was one thing.... as someone who now enjoys shopping at both Publix and Wegmans (the latter exceptionally more-so) I can get the grocery store fanboyism....

But gas stations?

That's gonna be a no from me dawg.

FWIW I tried Wawa in NJ on a roadtrip for a bachelor party in NYC a few years ago. The sub was fine (much better subs can be had at Wegmans and Publix FWIW)....but the "wow" factor was not there.

Also...nobody outside Philly is calling a sub a hoagie. Just like how nobody outside of New England and a few enclaves in the midwest are going to call it a grinder. SorryNotSorry
Wawa doesn't sell subs. They only sell hoagies. Every June they have Hoagiefest. So if you order from Wawa you get a hoagie. You can get a sub from somewhere else. Publix subs are good, too. I've never had Wegmans.

Old 03-12-2022, 06:12 AM

1,342 posts, read 734,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
Also...nobody outside Philly is calling a sub a hoagie.
Not true! Although not exclusively, it's used a lot in south and central Jersey. Hoagie Haven in Princeton is the best!

As far as gas stations, I might have been more excited about Wawa expanding here until Sheetz got here. I like a good Wawa still, but Sheetz has grown on me.

Old 03-12-2022, 07:50 AM
DPK

4,595 posts, read 5,747,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
Wawa doesn't sell subs. They only sell hoagies. Every June they have Hoagiefest. So if you order from Wawa you get a hoagie. You can get a sub from somewhere else. Publix subs are good, too. I've never had Wegmans.
Not to be a pedant and as a person that fully understands the whole "hoagie thing" but a hoagie is a sub.

The term comes from a morph of "hoggies" which referred to a phrase like "you had to be a hog to eat a sandwich that big" during the Depression.

Old 03-12-2022, 07:58 AM

43,458 posts, read 77,428,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPK View Post
Not to be a pedant and as a person that fully understands the whole "hoagie thing" but a hoagie is a sub.

The term comes from a morph of "hoggies" which referred to a phrase like "you had to be a hog to eat a sandwich that big" during the Depression.

Eh. A sub is a hoagie.

Old 03-12-2022, 08:09 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,398,916 times
Don't care about the gas stations (love my EV) or the grocery stores (Weaver Street, Trader Joes, and Harris Teeter work for me with the occasional foray to Fresh Market or Whole Foods if they are on the way to somewhere.) Don't like Wegman's (went there, not for me) and Publix is not my thing (too many political contributions). I will occasionally shop in a Food Lion or Ingles in another town in NC.

Hoagies, subs, whatever. I'm vegetarian. If they make a good veggie version I might eat it.

Old 03-12-2022, 08:14 AM

6,411 posts, read 5,542,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
I said what I said.

Old 03-12-2022, 08:25 AM

43,458 posts, read 77,428,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Don't care about the gas stations (love my EV) or the grocery stores (Weaver Street, Trader Joes, and Harris Teeter work for me with the occasional foray to Fresh Market or Whole Foods if they are on the way to somewhere.) Don't like Wegman's (went there, not for me) and Publix is not my thing (too many political contributions). I will occasionally shop in a Food Lion or Ingles in another town in NC.

Hoagies, subs, whatever. I'm vegetarian. If they make a good veggie version I might eat it.

Jersey Mike's will make you a good veggie. Of course, it is Jersey Mike's quality, but they are pretty good.

I mean, we're talking about bread, cheese, maters, lettuce, onion, green pepper.
Get a better roll and pick your own stuff, and veggie is easier than when you add questionable cold cuts.

Old 03-12-2022, 10:28 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,398,916 times
I like Subway better than Jersey Mikes for veggie subs. Subway has way more veggies. Husband is dairy intolerant/vegan so cheese is a no go. Jersey Mikes kinda flat out sucks for vegans and is bad for vegetarians.

Sheetz is okay for vegetarians, plus they have chargers for EVs at some stores.

I can't tell from Wawa's bad website what they offer. They do have a cold veggie hoagie and a roasted veggie hoagie, but I can't tell what's on it because their website sucks and you have to download the app, which I am not going to do, so points off for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary