Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2022, 03:36 AM

5,162 posts, read 7,353,822 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
WawaWawa k:WawaWawa

I will be curious if Wawa and Royal Farms expand further east into the Triangle region as they enter NC. For now it appears they may be concentrating upon the I-95 corridor and eastward.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2022, 08:51 PM

4,590 posts, read 6,421,335 times
West

Old 08-24-2022, 07:40 AM

5,162 posts, read 7,353,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheelhombre View Post
West
Yes thanks for the correction. West of 95 towards the Triangle. We shall see. They have not really announced specific locationns but preliminary plans seem to indicate initially towards the coastal region east of 95 for both Wawa and Royal Farms.

Old 08-24-2022, 08:25 AM

6,377 posts, read 5,490,788 times
Never been to a Buc-ee's....have been to WaWa a few times on roadtrips to points north. I'm pretty sure once in PA and once in NJ if memory serves.

It's a decent gas station with a nice variety of snacks and cleaner/brighter than most. But the hype is just the same as anything....local nostalgia. The folks who hear/ssee beaming with joy as they talk about a gas station (or any regional chain) typically are more into the nostalgia "home" feeling of it than the actual product/establishment itself.

I imagine the same to be true for Buc-Ees. I'm sure it's nice; probably nicer than most other big-box gas stations/chains. But really I imagine it's nostalgia in people from Texas/the deep south for a feeling of "back home" or the excitement of being on a road trip for others who've just passed by that's the "magic"

The only regional-establishment that has spread to the Triangle that has seemed worthy of the hype to me personally is Wegmans. This could very well be due to Upstate NY roots and fond memories of trips there with grandma over the summer growing up....but also the bakery.

If there's a an area with a relatively high proportion of Carolina born transplants; I imagine the same "zomg" reaction would occur if a CookOut or Bojangles opened. Hyper excitement from those longing for a peace of "back home"....intrigue followed by "meh; it's fine but overhyped" by others.

I know...I'm a lot of fun at parties

Old 08-24-2022, 08:33 AM

1,257 posts, read 1,184,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
I imagine the same to be true for Buc-Ees. I'm sure it's nice; probably nicer than most other big-box gas stations/chains. But really I imagine it's nostalgia in people from Texas/the deep south for a feeling of "back home" or the excitement of being on a road trip for others who've just passed by that's the "magic"
Going to Buc-ee's is way different than going to a Wawa. A Buc-ee's gas station is easily the size of a big box store like a Best Buy and has a huge variety of specialty items and food. I first encountered Buc-ee's on a road trip from Houston to Austin. They have all these signs saying "Go to bathroom at Buc-ee's. It will be worth the wait." It truly is a sight to behold.

Old 08-24-2022, 08:37 AM

6,653 posts, read 5,587,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by farebluenc View Post
Going to Buc-ee's is way different than going to a Wawa. A Buc-ee's gas station is easily the size of a big box store like a Best Buy and has a huge variety of specialty items and food. I first encountered Buc-ee's on a road trip from Houston to Austin. They have all these signs saying "Go to bathroom at Buc-ee's. It will be worth the wait." It truly is a sight to behold.
The bathroom at Buc-ee's was nice but would I drive out of my way for it? Probably not - same for their food (have tried their jerky, fudge and kolaches).

Old 08-24-2022, 09:00 AM

6,377 posts, read 5,490,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
The bathroom at Buc-ee's was nice but would I drive out of my way for it? Probably not - same for their food (have tried their jerky, fudge and kolaches).
Right. If there is a Sheetz across the street from smaller/run-down looking Shell station or something...yeah I'll choose Sheetz for the nicer bathrooms every time.

But my roadtrip bladder is no joke...I'm not passing exit signs because they don't have an "exciting" gas station chain. When you gotta go you gotta go

Old 08-24-2022, 11:08 AM

368 posts, read 295,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
Yes thanks for the correction. West of 95 towards the Triangle. We shall see. They have not really announced specific locationns but preliminary plans seem to indicate initially towards the coastal region east of 95 for both Wawa and Royal Farms.
All the sites I reviewed were east of 95 for both WaWa and Royal Farms. I haven't asked if they've planned/submitted sites west since April (when I retired.)

Old 08-24-2022, 02:55 PM

3 posts, read 2,001 times
I have stopped at Buc-ees in Alabama, Tennessee, Florida and SC. I love stopping there. Staff is well trained and friendly. Stores are exceptionally clean and food offerings very solid. Just a great slice of Americana.

Old 08-24-2022, 03:18 PM

368 posts, read 295,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rothgebpark View Post
I have stopped at Buc-ees in Alabama, Tennessee, Florida and SC. I love stopping there. Staff is well trained and friendly. Stores are exceptionally clean and food offerings very solid. Just a great slice of Americana.
I’ve been to ones in Texas and Florida. But I won’t make them a typical stop if/when in their area. While nice, I’m not their target demographic. And because of the size, and road infrastructure needed to accommodate them, it’s tougher/longer to get in and out than other “acceptable” stations such as WaWa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary