Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2022, 08:05 PM

9,777 posts, read 15,783,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renownedtheworldaround View Post
It’s amazing how one Buc-ee’s is the end of the world, but we can celebrate 75 Wawas coming.

The average size of a Wawa is 4,000 square feet. The proposal for the Buc-ee's in Orange County was for between 64,000 and 70,000 square feet. They are not really comparable. No one Wawa store is going to change the landscape of an area like one Buc-ee's of that size would.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2022, 04:03 AM

1,423 posts, read 1,476,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
The average size of a Wawa is 4,000 square feet. The proposal for the Buc-ee's in Orange County was for between 64,000 and 70,000 square feet. They are not really comparable. No one Wawa store is going to change the landscape of an area like one Buc-ee's of that size would.
When we’re getting lectures about fossil fuels and zero carbon emissions, then no, it’s not off the table to compare the two.

Sure, one Buc-ee’s is going to have more impact than one Wawa, but that’s not what I was arguing. Overall, Wawa’s going to have 300,000 square feet of space and at least 5x the number of pumps (and this is assuming that only 60 percent of the stores in NC even come with pumps). Circle K regularly builds/replaces stores here with upwards of twenty pumps and you don’t see as much complaining as you do with either chain.

And as far as changing the landscape goes, refer to this comment:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV
It's at an exit off the interstate. And it wasn't going to be the next HQ for a tech firm, or anything "better" than a gas station.
I’m not going to overlook the fact that the site was near the Eno watershed, because that was in fact a significant issue, and I can’t fault people for not wanting them because of that.

That said, exits similar to 160 are literally the most appropriate place to put them. It’s a rural spot along a high volume stretch of interstate; plopping a gas station (no matter how big) on these types of exits aren’t really going to make them less rural.

If residents of Orange County don’t want it in their neighborhood, then that’s fine. My issue is with people saying there’s no place for this anywhere in NC.

Last edited by Renownedtheworldaround; 08-07-2022 at 04:45 AM..

Old 08-07-2022, 12:04 PM

8,803 posts, read 10,240,080 times
I've never been to a Buc-ees but they have amusing billboards for their Alabama location on I-20. "Potty like a rockstar" "Stopping the pee dance since 1982" "#1 on the wrap charts" among others.

Old 08-08-2022, 06:29 AM

5,877 posts, read 6,946,507 times
https://www.newsobserver.com/news/lo...264189281.html
"Williams Development Group, based in Winston-Salem, wants to build two warehouses — one at 300,000 square feet, and the other at 600,000 square feet — on nearly 74 acres in the 4000 block of West Ten Road. No potential tenants have been identified for the site, known as “Project Skywalker.”

The newly approved Efland Industrial Park lies outside the Buckhorn EDD but is zoned for office, light industrial and warehouse uses. It was proposed after Texas-based Buc-ee’s withdrew its application in 2020 to build a travel stop at the site."

So, instead of a Buc-ees, they are going to spec-build a couple of huge warehouses and hope for tenants. I bet they won't be paying $20+ / hr.

Old 08-08-2022, 10:23 AM

13,707 posts, read 12,421,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renownedtheworldaround View Post
I believe there’s some overlap, but there’s still a segment of people that wants Wawa, but doesn’t want Buc-ee’s for some reason.

- EV chargers (but a couple of Buc-ee’s have Tesla chargers)
- People not wanting NC to be like Texas
- People who think NC is ‘Sheetz’ or QT territory.
- Aforementioned argument about the store’s size
Yeah, I think its really about the garishness, the open ostentatiousness of something they think should be more discreet; a Wawa is a different incarnation on what's already here and what's inevitable. To them a Buc-ee's is a proud embrace of what some consider more tawdry and damaging aspect of our society. But it still ignores that it's an undeveloped spot in a rural area on a very heavily traveled interstate.

Old 08-08-2022, 07:27 PM

1,423 posts, read 1,476,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
Yeah, I think its really about the garishness, the open ostentatiousness of something they think should be more discreet; a Wawa is a different incarnation on what's already here and what's inevitable. To them a Buc-ee's is a proud embrace of what some consider more tawdry and damaging aspect of our society. But it still ignores that it's an undeveloped spot in a rural area on a very heavily traveled interstate.
I can agree with that.

Old 08-08-2022, 09:11 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,727,010 times
A few weeks ago I stopped at a Bucees in Richmond KY on the way back home from Louisville. Orange County really screwed up a chance to add hundreds of jobs that paid at least $16+ an hour among with a lot of revenue because that KY location was a massive tourist trap.

Old 08-09-2022, 05:34 AM

563 posts, read 955,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Orange County really screwed up a chance to add hundreds of jobs that paid at least $16+ an hour among with a lot of revenue because that KY location was a massive tourist trap.
That's your opinion. Richmond is the 6th largest city in Kentucky with a population of over 35,000 in 2020 and where Eastern Kentucky University is located. Efland had a population of 804 in 2020 according to the Census Bureau.

Old 08-09-2022, 08:05 AM

13,707 posts, read 12,421,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieRTP View Post
That's your opinion. Richmond is the 6th largest city in Kentucky with a population of over 35,000 in 2020 and where Eastern Kentucky University is located. Efland had a population of 804 in 2020 according to the Census Bureau.
The Buc-ees there is about the same distance from EKU as the Effland one is from Duke or UNC. They didn't want that Buc-ees there because Effland provided 800 customers. They wanted the Buc-ees there because of its proximity to Durham and Chapel Hill and Burlington and Greensboro. They're a lot more interested in cars/day travelling past the exit.

Old 08-09-2022, 11:27 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,330,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
A few weeks ago I stopped at a Bucees in Richmond KY on the way back home from Louisville. Orange County really screwed up a chance to add hundreds of jobs that paid at least $16+ an hour among with a lot of revenue because that KY location was a massive tourist trap.
I can't speak for the rest of Orange County, but I definitely do not want a massive tourist trap in OC. Put it down by South of the Border.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary