Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2024, 02:38 PM

361 posts, read 223,887 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
I mean, if they had thought ahead at all and made a more thoughtful proposal, or agreed to some of the pretty mild conditions that Orange County wanted, they’d have gotten better traction. Instead they decided to take their ball and go home because of the cult of followers. Oh, those electric vehicle charges Orange County wanted? Bucees has since announced they will put them in as standard at all their locations LOL.
There's no need for them to agree to any of Orange County's conditions when there's another county just a few miles down the street. Its easy for you to laugh from Morrisville when Orange County residents are the ones footing a greater % tax burden. The Buc-ee's is still getting built, the traffic that would have stopped and spent their money in Orange County will now be giving it to Alamance County. Travelers will get back on the highway and continue driving into OC, so they didn't prevent any traffic or emissions. In the case of the other businesses I mentioned earlier, its even worse. OC residents drive outside of the county to spend money, then drive back - even more traffic than if we'd have just built it here! Not that I'm a fan of the never-ending growth, but some of these decisions are terrible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2024, 03:50 PM

22,666 posts, read 36,779,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by codygreen View Post
There's no need for them to agree to any of Orange County's conditions when there's another county just a few miles down the street. Its easy for you to laugh from Morrisville when Orange County residents are the ones footing a greater % tax burden. The Buc-ee's is still getting built, the traffic that would have stopped and spent their money in Orange County will now be giving it to Alamance County. Travelers will get back on the highway and continue driving into OC, so they didn't prevent any traffic or emissions. In the case of the other businesses I mentioned earlier, its even worse. OC residents drive outside of the county to spend money, then drive back - even more traffic than if we'd have just built it here! Not that I'm a fan of the never-ending growth, but some of these decisions are terrible.
I don't agree with you often, but I do here. This isn't exactly a win for OC. Now people will just pass on by completely since there's no reason to stop there.

I have a work team mate from TN who vacation in Topsail. Loves Bucees. Stopped in Chapel Hill to eat last time she came out and did not have a good experience, believe her words were those people can eff themselves (and she's one of those people it's funny when she gets mad because she doesn't get mad).

Bucees in Alamance means less reason to stop in the OC. But I guess that's what they want so wish granted.

Old 01-11-2024, 07:01 AM

2,006 posts, read 3,582,975 times
Quote:
I mean, if they had thought ahead at all and made a more thoughtful proposal, or agreed to some of the pretty mild conditions that Orange County wanted, they’d have gotten better traction. Instead they decided to take their ball and go home because of the cult of followers. Oh, those electric vehicle charges Orange County wanted? Bucees has since announced they will put them in as standard at all their locations LOL.

Using your point about EV charging you can just turn it around, OC mandated it, Buc-ee says sorry we can't meet that mandate. So OC lost a source of convenient charging and everything else that comes with development because they decided their power over business was more important than letting the market dictate. It's just a difference in political ideology. I would be LOL'ing at the OC government cause they let their power go to their head.

Old 01-11-2024, 07:33 AM

11,221 posts, read 8,297,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
I don't agree with you often, but I do here. This isn't exactly a win for OC. Now people will just pass on by completely since there's no reason to stop there.

I have a work team mate from TN who vacation in Topsail. Loves Bucees. Stopped in Chapel Hill to eat last time she came out and did not have a good experience, believe her words were those people can eff themselves (and she's one of those people it's funny when she gets mad because she doesn't get mad).

Bucees in Alamance means less reason to stop in the OC. But I guess that's what they want so wish granted.
Regarding the bolded statement, it's even worse. They will pass on through, will use the roads and resources, and emit pollution (for those who are concerned), but having the destination stop just outside OC means that even less people will stop in OC than if Buck-ees didn't get approved at all.

I really don't care one way or the other, I rarely go that way, but it's an example of winning the battle and losing the war. In my eyes, very similar to Cary losing the Costco to Apex, literally a few hundred feet from Cary, gumming up all the Cary roads, serving Cary residents, but getting the tax dollars in Apex. (I live very close to this one.)

All of the above is just my opinion, not stating as fact.

Old 01-11-2024, 08:40 AM

5,877 posts, read 6,946,507 times
Quote:
Oh, those electric vehicle charges Orange County wanted? Bucees has since announced they will put them in as standard at all their locations LOL.
I must have missed the part about electric chargers. Were they originally not going to have any? The last time I was at the Florence location, they had a bunch of Tesla chargers.

Quote:
The Buc-ee's is still getting built, the traffic that would have stopped and spent their money in Orange County will now be giving it to Alamance County. Travelers will get back on the highway and continue driving into OC, so they didn't prevent any traffic or emissions
One of the objections I saw said people would stop at Buc-ees, instead of driving into downtown Mebane to eat at one of the local restaurants. No, travelers are not going to drive into town to eat. They would instead go to the Pilot, Love's or any other place that is adjacent to the Interstate.

Old 01-11-2024, 04:56 PM

9,144 posts, read 14,759,495 times
Quote:
Exactly why I said straight from the beginning they should have never even bothered with Orange County. Why waste hundreds of thousands of dollars on that proposal at all. It was a real lack of understanding of the political landscape of the area.

Old 01-11-2024, 06:25 PM

13,707 posts, read 12,421,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
I must have missed the part about electric chargers. Were they originally not going to have any? The last time I was at the Florence location, they had a bunch of Tesla chargers.

One of the objections I saw said people would stop at Buc-ees, instead of driving into downtown Mebane to eat at one of the local restaurants. No, travelers are not going to drive into town to eat. They would instead go to the Pilot, Love's or any other place that is adjacent to the Interstate.
Something about Buc-ees brings out the most vociferous anti-consumerist feelings in some folks. The only thing I can compare it to is anti WalMart sentiment but at least Walmart criticisms have some degree of validity. Most of the Buc-ees criticisms seem to be hollow virtue signaling.

Old 01-12-2024, 01:54 PM

22,666 posts, read 36,779,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post

Mebane and Graham are so close to the interstate that if this prevents this from happening, then it's a lost cause anyway. If you're driving through on I40 you're probably not looking to stop in one of those little towns (which are all very cute) and get a bite to eat and walk around. If you're looking for a cute town to get a bite to eat and walk around you're not going to Bucees.

Old 01-14-2024, 07:03 AM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,725,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Mebane and Graham are so close to the interstate that if this prevents this from happening, then it's a lost cause anyway. If you're driving through on I40 you're probably not looking to stop in one of those little towns (which are all very cute) and get a bite to eat and walk around. If you're looking for a cute town to get a bite to eat and walk around you're not going to Bucees.
Totally agree, they are disparate issues. If they're going to be critical of Bucees, the same argument can be applied to the Tanger Outlets (or the big Walmart Supercenter right there) which isn't that far from downtown Mebane either.

If they're trying to single out Bucees with that level of critical thinking, they're a bit late to the party there.

Old 03-08-2024, 11:22 AM

873 posts, read 1,016,182 times
Road alterations are already occurring in Mebane in advance of the construction of the Buc-ee's coming later this year. Both Trollingwood Hawfields Road and the exits to and from it from I-40/85 will need to be widened along with the overpass and the addition of traffic lights. The mayor is hoping for a groundbreaking ceremony by this summer.

https://www.wral.com/video/buc-ees-b...tion/21318092/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary