Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2021, 08:24 AM

9,779 posts, read 15,790,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
Tuesday, January 12 update of Covid-19 vaccinations:

Orange County: 5,700 (first dose) 840 (completed series) % vaccinated: 4.4%
Durham County: 9,994 (first dose) 1,745 (completed series) % vaccinated: 3.7%
Wake County: 16,620 (first dose) 2,755 (completed series) % vaccinated: 1.7%
Chatham County: 1,598 (first dose) 206 (completed series) % vaccinated: 2.4%
Johnston County: 3,278 (first dose) 262 (completed series) % vaccinated: 1.7%

NC: 173,928 (first dose) 20,608 (completed series) % vaccinated: 1.9%

Numbers are preliminary and can have a 3-day lag. Population is an estimate. County numbers do not include vaccinations in long-term care facilities. % vaccinated includes people who are only partially vaccinated.

https://covid19.ncdhhs.gov/dashboard/vaccinations
Tuesday, January 19 update of Covid-19 vaccinations:

Orange County: 9,886 (first dose) 2,667 (completed series) % vaccinated: 8.5%
Durham County: 15,014 (first dose) 4,912 (completed series) % vaccinated: 6.2%
Wake County: 30,609 (first dose) 7,446 (completed series) % vaccinated: 3.4%
Chatham County: 4,510 (first dose) 600 (completed series) % vaccinated: 6.9%
Johnston County: 6,461 (first dose) 997 (completed series) % vaccinated: 3.6%

NC: 344,456 (first dose) 60,073 (completed series) % vaccinated: 3.9%

Numbers are preliminary and can have a 3-day lag. Population is an estimate. County numbers do not include vaccinations in long-term care facilities. % vaccinated includes people who were only partially vaccinated.

https://covid19.ncdhhs.gov/dashboard/vaccinations

For daily updates of number vaccinated by state, I like the Bloomberg site. They update each evening.
As of January 20, they report that NC has administered a total of 459K doses (60K of which were second doses) for a total of 4.38 doses per 100 people.

https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/c...-distribution/

Last edited by michgc; 01-21-2021 at 08:34 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2021, 04:25 PM

4,556 posts, read 3,754,316 times
For those who say the death rate is low, I think we Americans are not looking at this correctly. We now have substantial patient numbers coming back with complaints of feeling tired all day, sleep issues, headaches, and even mild fevers that last for days (it does respond to Tylenol and Motrin tho). But still, these symptoms are substantial enough that these patients are complaining to their primary care doctors or even worse, coming into the ED. We make sure these symptoms are NOT related to another condition.

At our practice, the number of designated "long-haulers" is now at 18%. The number was determined after 3 months of still having symptoms. We are still gathering data for 6 months. That is way too high for something that is supposed to "be just like the flu."

If you do a search, you'll see more clinics opening just for long-haulers for COVID-19.

The previous admin completely ruined this pandemic response. We have people think this is a hoax. I tell patients that their family member has ground-glass opacities in their lungs and they need ICU-level of care due to COVID-19 and they think I am joking. Many of these family members don't make it. If they do make it, the could very well have months-long symptoms.

The vaccine is our way out - get J&J and Novavax out also. Because it's obvious that nothing else is working in this country.

'We know this is real': New clinics aid virus 'long-haulers'
https://apnews.com/article/new-york-...a31c25d5f36873

Old 01-21-2021, 04:38 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,602,228 times
Can't rep you, HouseBuilder, but grateful for your posts.

I personally find long-hauler issues to be terrifying, partially because the country focuses so much on deaths. Was reading about how COVID lungs can be worse than smoker's lungs.

I definitely did not quit smoking after many many years only to get COVID and have even worse lungs, so I will be masking up and saying away from people accordingly, and hoping I can get a vaccine sometime in 2021 (I'm ok with being at the end of the line, just hope the rollout improves)

Old 01-21-2021, 06:53 PM

4,556 posts, read 3,754,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NM posts View Post
Can't rep you, HouseBuilder, but grateful for your posts.

I personally find long-hauler issues to be terrifying, partially because the country focuses so much on deaths. Was reading about how COVID lungs can be worse than smoker's lungs.

I definitely did not quit smoking after many many years only to get COVID and have even worse lungs, so I will be masking up and saying away from people accordingly, and hoping I can get a vaccine sometime in 2021 (I'm ok with being at the end of the line, just hope the rollout improves)

NM posts, tried the same for you but it wouldn't let me.

These C-D people have been asking me about COVID-19 long-haulers all year and the numbers, but we finally have hard numbers at the hospital. Not to mention the article I posted and if you just search, you will find more numbers.

Think this is just a stupid virus that you will recover in 7 days? Think again.

Old 01-22-2021, 07:33 AM

202 posts, read 173,978 times
At this rate is adults under 50 with no medical issues are likely not getting this vaccine until late 2021. Kids under 16? Mid to late 2022.

Hopefully as more Seniors are vaccinated the hospital rates come down, and as frontline workers get it the spread slows. But we’ve got another 12 - 18 months imo before this is ‘done’ and that’s if these new variants or mutations don’t get worse.

Old 01-22-2021, 08:02 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,215,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseBuilder328 View Post
For those who say the death rate is low, I think we Americans are not looking at this correctly. We now have substantial patient numbers coming back with complaints of feeling tired all day, sleep issues, headaches, and even mild fevers that last for days (it does respond to Tylenol and Motrin tho). But still, these symptoms are substantial enough that these patients are complaining to their primary care doctors or even worse, coming into the ED. We make sure these symptoms are NOT related to another condition.

At our practice, the number of designated "long-haulers" is now at 18%. The number was determined after 3 months of still having symptoms. We are still gathering data for 6 months. That is way too high for something that is supposed to "be just like the flu."

If you do a search, you'll see more clinics opening just for long-haulers for COVID-19.

The previous admin completely ruined this pandemic response. We have people think this is a hoax. I tell patients that their family member has ground-glass opacities in their lungs and they need ICU-level of care due to COVID-19 and they think I am joking. Many of these family members don't make it. If they do make it, the could very well have months-long symptoms.

The vaccine is our way out - get J&J and Novavax out also. Because it's obvious that nothing else is working in this country.

'We know this is real': New clinics aid virus 'long-haulers'
https://apnews.com/article/new-york-...a31c25d5f36873
Yes, thank you for the numbers. I certainly knew we wouldn't be able to put numbers on the issues until late fall minimum. I did read the article, and noted

Quote:
Current indications are that up to 30% of patients continue to have significant problems that intrude on daily life two to three weeks after testing positive. Perhaps as many as 10% are still afflicted three to six months later, according to Dr. Wesley Self, a Vanderbilt University emergency physician and researcher who co-wrote a July report from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
The July report mentioned says 35% w/symptoms 2-3 weeks after, so I don't know if the 30/10 is an updated figure or not; it was only covering March-June. It definitely is critical information to know - as is the demographics of who is in that audience. Anxiety and depression would be "expected" and are unfortunate. Hopefully, dedicated clinics where the long-haulers can receive care will make a big difference.

Old 01-22-2021, 08:12 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,215,541 times
in "good news", new cases have dropped ~20% on a 7 day average in the last week, hospitalizations are generally down for 10 days, and ICU hospitalizations have declined 5 straight days.

Old 01-22-2021, 09:49 AM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,727,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
in "good news", new cases have dropped ~20% on a 7 day average in the last week, hospitalizations are generally down for 10 days, and ICU hospitalizations have declined 5 straight days.
We're over the New Years hump of stupid people playing stupid games and not socially distancing that night.

Old 01-22-2021, 10:18 AM

2,218 posts, read 2,940,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewWaveDad View Post
At this rate is adults under 50 with no medical issues are likely not getting this vaccine until late 2021. Kids under 16? Mid to late 2022.

Hopefully as more Seniors are vaccinated the hospital rates come down, and as frontline workers get it the spread slows. But we’ve got another 12 - 18 months imo before this is ‘done’ and that’s if these new variants or mutations don’t get worse.
I'm hoping that this is where the Johnson and Johnson vaccine might help out. Not only will it increase the the amount of doses being distributed it might also make some that are a little on the fence about getting vaccinated since it is only a single dose. Maybe they can market this one for younger groups and others that probably wouldn't want to come back for a second dose (or where logistically it might be more difficult).

Old 01-22-2021, 12:45 PM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,727,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NRaleigh Mom View Post
I'm hoping that this is where the Johnson and Johnson vaccine might help out. Not only will it increase the the amount of doses being distributed it might also make some that are a little on the fence about getting vaccinated since it is only a single dose. Maybe they can market this one for younger groups and others that probably wouldn't want to come back for a second dose (or where logistically it might be more difficult).
I think I read that J&J is shooting for 100 million doses distributed by April, which would fer sure help make a dent in the supply chain problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary