Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2021, 03:37 PM

18,109 posts, read 15,690,551 times

Advertisements

It appears there are no federal reserves of Covid vaccines. Allegedly Alex Azar didn't tell the truth about it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2021, 05:17 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,457,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
It appears there are no federal reserves of Covid vaccines. Allegedly Alex Azar didn't tell the truth about it.
Literally from the same newspaper, a week ago:

Quote:
With virus surging, Biden to speed release of COVID-19 vaccines

With COVID-19 surging and vaccinations off to a slow start, President-elect Joe Biden will rapidly release most available vaccine doses to protect more people, his office said Friday, a reversal of Trump administration policies.

“The president-elect believes we must accelerate distribution of the vaccine while continuing to ensure the Americans who need it most get it as soon as possible," spokesman T.J. Ducklo said in a statement. Biden “supports releasing available doses immediately, and believes the government should stop holding back vaccine supply so we can get more shots in Americans’ arms now.”
So the current admin pivoted to the Biden plan and now she is unhappy. Hmm.

You really can't make this stuff up if you tried.

FWIW, when you dive into why there is no longer a stockpile, it's because they've decided to ship directly to states vs going to a federal stockpile first. IE, just in time inventory. The reason there was a federal stockpile in the first place is because they were storing it while the vaccine was still in trials.

Aren't people tired of politicians using scare tactics to keep them elected???

Old 01-15-2021, 06:07 PM

18,109 posts, read 15,690,551 times
I think there's probably some miscommunication involved between parties. If someone is told now "there is no stockpile" but they're not told why, and it conflicts with what someone else told them weeks before, they're going to fill in the gaps with a story that may not be accurate.

Old 01-16-2021, 11:46 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,223,112 times
OR has used 1/3 of the vaccine they've received.

If any Governor thought they heard "you'll get more", then that's worth discussing because there'd be no reason to increase the allotment ... it's really moreso any concern if Governor A (CT?) says they were told "you're doing so good (about 65%) we WILL increase what you get next week."

Still, if they have a bunch (50%+) of doses left when the next shipment arrives, any complaints are really hollow.

Old 01-16-2021, 12:02 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,342,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
OR has used 1/3 of the vaccine they've received.

If any Governor thought they heard "you'll get more", then that's worth discussing because there'd be no reason to increase the allotment ... it's really moreso any concern if Governor A (CT?) says they were told "you're doing so good (about 65%) we WILL increase what you get next week."

Still, if they have a bunch (50%+) of doses left when the next shipment arrives, any complaints are really hollow.
Yes they were told they would get more. At least one healthcare system in NY had to cancel vaccination appointments due to shortage. I think the issues are different for each state. I read an article that deep south states are having difficulty getting vaccinations done due to the fact that hospitals in rural areas have closed so they are relying solely on the local health department. In addition, I think the article make clear that there is lack of planning an assistance from the Federal government, which is sad because we are all losing.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-h...-idUSKBN29K2H4

Old 01-16-2021, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal_M View Post
Yes they were told they would get more. At least one healthcare system in NY had to cancel vaccination appointments due to shortage. I think the issues are different for each state. I read an article that deep south states are having difficulty getting vaccinations done due to the fact that hospitals in rural areas have closed so they are relying solely on the local health department. In addition, I think the article make clear that there is lack of planning an assistance from the Federal government, which is sad because we are all losing.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-h...-idUSKBN29K2H4
is HHS supposed to know where Bertie County can best vaccinate people, and the challenges Bertie County may face? Or Bertie County and NCDHHS?

As to a NY system, I assume you're talking about this?

https://www.fox5ny.com/news/mt-sinai...-to-low-supply

If Cuomo and his NYDHHS didn't apportion the 1.8MM doses they've received in the proper fashion...how is that the Feds responsibility? How are thee Fds supposed to know what's best for 50 unique states? If Mt Sinai has done such a great job that they have literally run out of vaccine, then why doesn't NY ship them some of the 1MM doses not administered yet?

NY chose very strict guidelines. NY chose to throw out extra doses at the end of the day, rather than find 5-10 people who weren't 65 but could have been vaccinated on the spot.

Old 01-16-2021, 04:13 PM

to use Bertie as an example to discuss...

population: 22K
Windsor: 1/6 of that.
% of NC population: 0.2%
63% Black, 33% white, only 1.5% Hispanic

Positive cases last 2 weeks: ~183
Tests last 2 weeks: ~1,000
Total Vaccinated: 130
Population share of NC Vaccines: 1,900

I know I couldn't tell you why they're not vaccinating people, especially given the focus on equity and their population makeup - surely they've gotten at least 1,000 doses. NC started vaccinating at least 25 days ago.

Old 01-16-2021, 05:22 PM

773 posts, read 646,720 times
Quote:
to use Bertie as an example to discuss...

population: 22K
Windsor: 1/6 of that.
% of NC population: 0.2%
63% Black, 33% white, only 1.5% Hispanic

Positive cases last 2 weeks: ~183
Tests last 2 weeks: ~1,000
Total Vaccinated: 130
Population share of NC Vaccines: 1,900

I know I couldn't tell you why they're not vaccinating people, especially given the focus on equity and their population makeup - surely they've gotten at least 1,000 doses. NC started vaccinating at least 25 days ago.
Prove it. You absolutely don't know that, and its beyond irresponsible for you to say it with no knowledge as to its veracity.

Old 01-16-2021, 05:30 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,342,401 times
Quote:
is HHS supposed to know where Bertie County can best vaccinate people, and the challenges Bertie County may face? Or Bertie County and NCDHHS?

As to a NY system, I assume you're talking about this?

https://www.fox5ny.com/news/mt-sinai...-to-low-supply

If Cuomo and his NYDHHS didn't apportion the 1.8MM doses they've received in the proper fashion...how is that the Feds responsibility? How are thee Fds supposed to know what's best for 50 unique states? If Mt Sinai has done such a great job that they have literally run out of vaccine, then why doesn't NY ship them some of the 1MM doses not administered yet?

NY chose very strict guidelines. NY chose to throw out extra doses at the end of the day, rather than find 5-10 people who weren't 65 but could have been vaccinated on the spot.
It was in the article I linked and had to do with the Federal Surplus that does not exist.

Old 01-16-2021, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal James View Post
Prove it. You absolutely don't know that, and its beyond irresponsible for you to say it with no knowledge as to its veracity.
Oh, I absolutely do NOT know it.

But absolutely, a marginalized community like that has surely gotten their equitable share, and that would be 1,900 doses. Nevermind only 1,000.

Good luck finding info from Bertie County though. I think their Covid info was last updated in August. Maybe a journalist will ask Dr Cohen about various counties at the next press conference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary