Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2021, 01:47 PM

1,204 posts, read 778,349 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Re-elections happened nationwide
So? It doesn't rule it out as a reason for this ****ery. Also, NC was in an interesting situation. Had Cooper lost, crazy Forest would have brought his own people. After all, Dr Cohen is appointed by Cooper, and if I am not wrong, the governor also appoints medical board members, etc.

I am just saying that could have been one reason. Maybe people simply didn't want to make long(ish) term plans. Again, having said all of that, I am pretty sure the process will speed up, as soon as people become aware of it and how it works.

Last edited by HatchChile; 01-14-2021 at 02:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2021, 02:12 PM

202 posts, read 173,978 times
The mass confusion will start when the next groups, phases begin... "Frontline Essential Workers", people with medical issues, etc... How will they define you as "Frontline Essential Workers"? Will you need to bring your W2 to prove you work in one of these fields?

Old 01-14-2021, 06:52 PM

773 posts, read 646,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewWaveDad View Post
The mass confusion will start when the next groups, phases begin... "Frontline Essential Workers", people with medical issues, etc... How will they define you as "Frontline Essential Workers"? Will you need to bring your W2 to prove you work in one of these fields?
https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/covid-1...l-workers.html

Old 01-14-2021, 08:07 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,215,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
The NC rate of vaccination is dismal.

They just don't have a cohesive plan in place and why they can't get more vaccine doses, compared to other states, is a mystery.
We seem to have gotten our proportional share, based on population.

https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/#vaccinations

FL as an example is 2x our population, and has received 2x as much. Of course, they've vaccinated 3x as many....

Old 01-14-2021, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatchChile View Post
That's really good to hear. I think the access points that Dr Cohen and Gov Cooper keep mentioning in their press releases are important. I think they want to avoid the wild wild west situation that's happening in some states. I think some sort of appointment system should be used to avoid old folks lining up at clinics, spending 3-4 hours waiting in line and leaving b/c they didn't have enough vaccines.

Having said that, I totally agree that Phase 0 should have been done months ago. It's not like this hit us yesterday. We knew that vaccine was coming. I personally think it's because people were not solely focused on this one task. They were focused on reelection, they didn't know if they'll be around in January, etc. So I suspect that they basically didn't seriously, 100% prepped for it.
"The election", well really, that is "I need to get re-elected before doing vaccine planning" would be a true abdication of responsibility and leadership.

It seems that they know exactly how many doses they have the morning of any event....or the day or 2 before. When they're booking appointments 3 weeks from now, they have no idea how many doses they'll have on those dates.

If they do first-come, first-served, it's easy enough to count cars and people within, and then go to car Doses + 1 and tell them they're "wait listed", and putt a simple sandwich board sign out or 3 out "All doses planned ahead of you."

Have I missed uniform instances (that means most times they try, it happens) either in NC or other states of folks that were in place 3+ hours before they started not even getting vaccinated?

If NC was just at the national rate, we'd have vaccinated almost 100K more people.

Old 01-14-2021, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Point of reference - West Virginia - yes WEST VIRGINIA - is at almost 6%, or 3x as many folks on a per capita basis.
they don't even have population concentration in just a couple of cities, which I would have expected. Charleston's county is ~10% of population like Wake, but the city is a lot smaller than Raleigh (% of population)

Old 01-14-2021, 11:19 PM

18,088 posts, read 15,670,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post

FL as an example is 2x our population, and has received 2x as much. Of course, they've vaccinated 3x as many....
That's my issue.

The slowness of the number vaccinated in the same amount of time in NC.

Old 01-15-2021, 11:00 AM

some guesswork ....

as of 6 am today CDC numbers https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/#vaccinations

and 11:59 Wednesday night NC numbers ...

NC has received 969,700 doses and 238,300 people have been vaccinated (includes those with 2 shots). NC's # of 1st doses is a whopping 5,300 higher than CDC so obviously CDC doesn't have 6 am today info on NC.

That's a rate of ~25% vaccines used vaccinated 1x, 29% of total usage (includes 2ndx).

IF (assumption) Wake County received their "fair share" of ~10%, then we got 97K doses and we have administered 21,075 1st doses, or 22%.

Unsurprisingly, we (Wake County) have completed vaccinating 5,757, which is an overrepresentation.

Old 01-15-2021, 11:03 AM

btw, the CDC has put out the "scare stat" of an extra 92K dead by end of January. That would require > 5K dead every single day, and we've never had more than 4,491.

also, we will most certainly pass 400K dead Americans today.

Old 01-15-2021, 02:09 PM

oh my, Wake County.

Quote:
Following newly released state guidance, Wake County will be inviting all health care workers and anyone 65 and older to join our COVID-19 vaccine waiting list. (Read the news release)

Starting at 8:30 a.m. on Tuesday, January 19, those in Group 1 and Group 2 will have two ways to tell Wake County Public Health they’re interested in getting vaccinated – a 24-hour vaccine hotline and an online tool.

Due to the limited supply of vaccine and given the large number of people in these two Groups, we estimate it could be several months before everyone who wishes to be vaccinated in these populations receive their vaccinations.
Now, 17% of NC is > 65. that's about 1.8MM people. If we're going to have 100M doses in 100 days (and w won't, but hey, it's worth talking about), then NC would presumably get 3MM (3% of US Population) of those doses and *voila* Group 1 and Group 2 are covered.

of course, considering the highly-unlikely nature of that happening, if we get on a 100MM/100 day pace ...
we still won't have everybody fully-vaccinated for 6+ cycles .... or until fall 2022.

or am I messing up the math?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary