Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2022, 10:20 AM

1,370 posts, read 1,068,264 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by leb505 View Post
i am from chicago and thinking to move to Raleigh area in july. you said that you love the weather, how do u compare it to chicago? love the nature in NC but i can't stand cold weather. is it cold in winter?
Nothing like Chicago. We moved from STL and it’s not even anything like STL in winter (summer is even slightly better than STL). Compared to Chicago winters, this area would be a piece of cake for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2022, 12:13 PM

813 posts, read 441,413 times
So, it's been a bit since I last posted. Here's some more observations...

1. I just landed a job after 6 months off. I didn't mind the break after 40 years, but things are so different now in the job hunt world. No one really gets back to you when applying online. After a bit I took it upon myself to start emailing executives with my resume and driving to their offices and talk to higher end management. Doing that got me a job in just 2 visits, as compared to 2 months of applying online. I guess if you really want something you have to get out there, shake some hands, make yourself known, and be aggressive. I'm proof that method works better than just blindly applying.

2. My daughter is killing it down here career wise. The Research Triangle is dying for good people. She's like me, very prideful of her work. Her company is rewarding her already. I'm very proud of my princess.

3. I can't help but keep saying how nice everyone is down here, especially the born North Carolinians. But it must be contagious because even the transplants are so nice and welcoming. Everyone says hi and even small talks with each other. Smiles are rampant. All races, genders, religions... doesn't matter. My experiences have been nothing but beautiful.

4. This place is golf heaven. Any golfers reading this understands. Just one tip, the Bermuda Grass greens are different than up north. Look for tips reading greens, it will help a ton understanding how it breaks.

5. I can't get over how nice the roads are. I know... up north has snow, salt for the snow, plows, etc. But just about every highway down here is in great shape. Traffic isn't as bad as up in Jersey either, but it does still exist. Thankfully I'm in construction so, just like up in NYC, I commute each way before it kicks in.

6. We are having a home built in Willow Spring. Love the quiet feel, the farms and animals, the open space. We'll be right near Route 40, so commuting will be easy. There's still deals down here, and the further away from Raleigh the better the deal. Like most everywhere else, the closer to a main city the more you will pay in both home cost and taxes. And the benefit of being a bit further away means more property. Half acres are average.

7. I'm keeping tabs on the weather in NJ and comparing it to here in Clayton (where we rent for the time being). Now that we're into the summer it runs about 5-10 degrees hotter, and from what I can see the summer is about 6-8 weeks longer. But the winters are the real story when comparing. We get our chilly days and colder nights down here, but nothing even close to New Jersey. Middle of winter in the Clayton area averages low 50's as a high. And let me add that I golfed most every week comfortably. That's how I measure winter... lol

8. From what I can tell most all utilities/appliances/etc are electric. No gas/oil except for maybe fireplaces and BBQ's. I'm sure there are some who have propane for other uses, and I've heard there's natural gas in some spots. But for the most part it's all electric. Our average electric bill is under $125, and the house we're in is a bit older and way too large for us. Once our new one is built (and it's a bit smaller) I'm told by other residents in the community that the average monthly electric bill for the house size we're getting is well under $100. I love it.

That's it for now. Any questions just ask em' and I'll be more than happy to answer. But life is better, and none of us will ever go back up north.

Last edited by SickofJersey; 06-18-2022 at 12:24 PM..

Old 06-18-2022, 12:46 PM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Glad you are enjoying it and happy with the move.

We have natural gas stove, water heater, heat. I guess not as common the farther out you go. Don't know anyone who uses oil.

Old 06-19-2022, 03:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Glad you are enjoying it and happy with the move.

We have natural gas stove, water heater, heat. I guess not as common the farther out you go. Don't know anyone who uses oil.
Hi Twingles. How long ago did you leave NY? And what's your monthly bill of both natural gas and electric? Just to compare what it would be to only electric.

I'm guessing you're happy with your move also.

Old 06-19-2022, 01:19 PM

P.S. to all...

I was looking back at old posts (I think back in December) and noticed I had mentioned the electric monthly cost of nearly $500. It turns out my heat pump was not functioning properly and running extremely inefficient. The landlord replaced it 3 months ago, that is why I stated just above that my monthly bill is under $125. HUGE difference. And I now have to add that it is another great savings from New Jersey, where utility costs are much much more.

I just wanted to clarify my previous post. Thank you all for understanding.

Old 08-29-2022, 02:34 AM

Here's a quick updated view on driving the highways around Raleigh, or at least coming and going from south of Raleigh into Durham where I currently work. Accidents every day. Drivers definitely are more aggressive than New Jersey, and I didn't think that was ever possible. Not all, but much more extreme tailgating and many more accidents. I also see more nasty accidents than I did previously, at least two a week are bad (flipped cars, multi-car crushed ones, etc.).

The traffic on the main highway going south in the afternoons can get a bit rough and slow. Thank God for the app "Waze", it's always showing me alternate paths home, often down quiet country roads. I like the scenic view much better than the highway view anyway. I also feel once the 540 project gets done, or at least the latest portion of it, traffic will be relieved big time. There's just not any other alternate main highways at the moment.

There's always challenging aspects as compared to the very positive ones. I will say on the weekends the highways are mostly open and clear, but I guess that's everywhere.

Can't wait for the new house to be built, it's very exciting. They "break ground" in October. It will be real nice to be able to create our paradise (backyard and other areas) that I love doing, knowing that it's for me and not ever investing in someone else's home I'm renting in.

Life is good, and I'm thankful.

Old 08-29-2022, 10:19 AM

84 posts, read 155,846 times
Thanks for continuing to give updates! I find what "outsiders" say about Central NC interesting.
Learning the back roads here in NC will take you from a frustrated transplant to a local NC road guru! I say this as someone who worked as a traffic reporter in the Triangle for about 4 years. Learning the back roads can save you and family a ton of time (especially during the main drive times weekdays).
These days I daily drive from Garner to Northeast Durham (in the AM: Hammond Rd to I40 West->South Miami Blvd->Hwy 70->Northeast Durham. Afternoon usually 70 East->I540->I40 East->Hammond Rd). Knowing the back roads gives me many options should either of the 2 routes above become impassible.
I own a house in Garner in the neighborhood that I grew up in which is kind of a mind trip. Instead of being the pain-in-the-butt kid riding all throughout the 'hood I am now the old grumpy guy saying "Stay off my lawn!" Home ownership is a great investment.

Glad you are quickly considering NC home!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickofJersey View Post
Here's a quick updated view on driving the highways around Raleigh, or at least coming and going from south of Raleigh into Durham where I currently work. Accidents every day. Drivers definitely are more aggressive than New Jersey, and I didn't think that was ever possible. Not all, but much more extreme tailgating and many more accidents. I also see more nasty accidents than I did previously, at least two a week are bad (flipped cars, multi-car crushed ones, etc.).

The traffic on the main highway going south in the afternoons can get a bit rough and slow. Thank God for the app "Waze", it's always showing me alternate paths home, often down quiet country roads. I like the scenic view much better than the highway view anyway. I also feel once the 540 project gets done, or at least the latest portion of it, traffic will be relieved big time. There's just not any other alternate main highways at the moment.

There's always challenging aspects as compared to the very positive ones. I will say on the weekends the highways are mostly open and clear, but I guess that's everywhere.

Can't wait for the new house to be built, it's very exciting. They "break ground" in October. It will be real nice to be able to create our paradise (backyard and other areas) that I love doing, knowing that it's for me and not ever investing in someone else's home I'm renting in.

Life is good, and I'm thankful.

Old 08-31-2022, 01:46 PM

1,381 posts, read 2,101,844 times
Just read through this and enjoyed your updates.
I think the drivers here don't really drive "defensively" like they do back in the North East. They are pretty bad at merging, and don't drive expecting others to do something stupid (like pull out in front of you and be prepared to hit the brakes). This of course, is a big over-assumption but I"ve lived here for 18 years now so I've had plenty of time to observe. I grew up in London, lived in NY for 5 years and NJ for another 8 or so before relocating down here.
People here are really friendly which I love. I was recently in San Francisco and I told my daughter "It's a little like being in NYC but with nice people". When I travel back to NJ/NY - I'm shocked by the unfriendliness of people having gotten used to the way of life down here now.
Lastly - good observation of the airport. I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE RDU. I can't even say how much I love it. Firstly, it's just a 25 minute drive away (as opposed to my 90 minute drive to Newark from Toms River, NJ). Secondly, it's clean and fresh. Thirdly, it's just small enough that you can get around it so easily - it's easy to pick up visitors and drop them off again, and they manage the TSA lines like pros.
Keep updating this - interested to hear from you as you go along.

Old 09-01-2022, 09:43 AM

5,135 posts, read 3,747,404 times
Lived in NJ for 63 years never found people to be unfriendly.

Old 09-01-2022, 07:01 PM

2,442 posts, read 2,866,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lancers View Post
Lived in NJ for 63 years never found people to be unfriendly.
And I visit NYC about 4 times a year and most of the people I encounter are very friendly. I even occasionally get free bagels at the local place near my daughter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary