Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2022, 10:53 AM

1,381 posts, read 2,103,865 times

Advertisements

My old manager (under 30) used to say it to me all the time - and I quite liked it then but now it just feels overused! You don't have to appreciate me all the time! A thanks is fine!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2022, 08:44 PM

40 posts, read 81,705 times
I know this is an older thread but I can’t resist mentioning how much a friend of mine living in Manasquan, NJ raves about WaWa coffee and do they still offer full service fill ups? He also loves his pork rolls from the delis. I see much positive growth and construction in Clayton where we are looking to move. There are a few ‘southern’ diners scattered around the Raleigh/Cary area that keep my husband from Long Island happy so we think things are just getting better!

Old 10-15-2022, 12:49 PM

816 posts, read 444,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susannerk View Post
I know this is an older thread but I can’t resist mentioning how much a friend of mine living in Manasquan, NJ raves about WaWa coffee and do they still offer full service fill ups? He also loves his pork rolls from the delis. I see much positive growth and construction in Clayton where we are looking to move. There are a few ‘southern’ diners scattered around the Raleigh/Cary area that keep my husband from Long Island happy so we think things are just getting better!
We found Angie's Diner in Garner to be amazing. Old school southern style, all the people so sweet and always smiling, and absolutely delicious food. Get there early, this place packs. But it's a great experience if you haven't been there. The best diner we've been to yet!!!

As for Clayton, Highway 42 Cafe has great bagels and breakfast sandwiches. It's also an ice cream shop. Try them too, you won't be disappointed.

Old 10-16-2022, 09:34 PM

6,654 posts, read 5,589,525 times
Angie's is one of the best places to eat in the Raleigh area

Old 10-30-2022, 04:24 AM

Morning everyone. A new day with a new observation...

One thing that is present in more rural areas of Johnston County (and I would assume more rural areas of all of America) is the sound of gunshots... in the form of hunting and target shooting. It does catch one off guard for those who are not used to it.

I have seen other forums where comments have been made about "these people need to come into the 20th century" and "the sounds of gunshots are unsettling and I want it to stop". I for one don't agree. First, I feel you should acclimate yourself to the area you moved into before demanding change to represent the area you came from. Secondly I think assumptions of people are extremely rude, condescending, and snobbish.

I feel if you have concerns then speak to your neighbors/friends/locals and try to understand the way they live. You have come to live with them, not the other way around. Many coming to this area are looking for a better way of life, but each area has it's pluses and minuses, depending on what your pluses and minuses are.

I see the sounds as part of what brought me here... open land, more natural way of life, and getting away from the extreme stress that the New York/New Jersey life brought into our family. And when talking to native North Carolinians, I've found that they are some of the most respectful and sweet people I have ever met. In discussion I have also found that virtually all of them who are gun owners are extremely careful and law abiding.

I am now a gun owner myself. I enjoy responsible shooting and enjoy getting better at it each time. I've been thinking about competitive shooting too.

This is part of the life we have now that we have moved to this beautiful part of the Country (for those who, like me, are transplants). Let's learn about the way life is lived here before we bring change to places that don't want change.

Old 10-30-2022, 03:06 PM

323 posts, read 183,099 times
If I hear gunfire from my neighbor's property, I'd be upset only if he didn't invite me to join in.

Newcomers trying to change a way of life are just ignorant and arrogant.

You overpaid for your house, and now folks who've been here since before they were born have to adjust to your idea of what rural living ought to be? Why not try to understand what life's about hereabouts instead?

If you ask nicely, I'll let you shoot my .50 cal Barrett.

Old 11-19-2022, 03:19 AM

Welcome back, and a new observation as I continue this thread about our new life here in beautiful North Carolina.

We finally met the project manager from the builder who is constructing our new home. At this stage in our life (empty nesters, desire for no stairs!!!), we are having a modest ranch style built so we can call this (most likely) our final home to enjoy retirement in. The schedule shows we should be closing sometimes in March. Very exciting.

With that said, the project manager and I got into some general conversations. Being as I am a construction guy myself, I asked how the business in general is, as interest rates are climbing and it seems things are slowing down. He stated that is actually a fact. They are starting to have trouble selling lots after not being able to release them fast enough over the past few years. He also stated that he has seen other companies selling off their large tracks of land while they can still get a decent number for them, as they too are not getting any sales.

I guess while we still see subdivisions being cleared and prepped for building, the downturn has begun. I know we still have large companies coming into the greater Raleigh area (Apple, Google, Pfizer, etc), the economy is indeed cooling quite a bit. I'm glad we had been able to lock in a 4% rate as we all see rates have climbed dramatically.

We have also kept track of existing home sales in the area, just because we have since we moved down here. We're seeing homes stay on the market much longer and many having price drops hoping to entice a sale. Those of us that are older have seen these cycles over and over. If the same historical trend occurs, then this downturn will last 3-4 years before beginning to climb out of it.

Has anyone else experienced this from either side, as a seller or a buyer?

Old 11-19-2022, 03:10 PM

853 posts, read 588,563 times
And back to good food, Carolina BBQ in Garner serves some mighty good food besides cue. Country style comfort food.

Old 11-19-2022, 04:11 PM

19,437 posts, read 27,832,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SickofJersey View Post
Welcome back, and a new observation as I continue this thread about our new life here in beautiful North Carolina.

We finally met the project manager from the builder who is constructing our new home. At this stage in our life (empty nesters, desire for no stairs!!!), we are having a modest ranch style built so we can call this (most likely) our final home to enjoy retirement in. The schedule shows we should be closing sometimes in March. Very exciting.

With that said, the project manager and I got into some general conversations. Being as I am a construction guy myself, I asked how the business in general is, as interest rates are climbing and it seems things are slowing down. He stated that is actually a fact. They are starting to have trouble selling lots after not being able to release them fast enough over the past few years. He also stated that he has seen other companies selling off their large tracks of land while they can still get a decent number for them, as they too are not getting any sales.

I guess while we still see subdivisions being cleared and prepped for building, the downturn has begun. I know we still have large companies coming into the greater Raleigh area (Apple, Google, Pfizer, etc), the economy is indeed cooling quite a bit. I'm glad we had been able to lock in a 4% rate as we all see rates have climbed dramatically.

We have also kept track of existing home sales in the area, just because we have since we moved down here. We're seeing homes stay on the market much longer and many having price drops hoping to entice a sale. Those of us that are older have seen these cycles over and over. If the same historical trend occurs, then this downturn will last 3-4 years before beginning to climb out of it.

Has anyone else experienced this from either side, as a seller or a buyer?

It's been awhile since we did our last mortgage, but the longest rate lock I've ever heard of is 90 days. So I'm curious - how did you get a rate lock that appears to be 5+ months?

Old 11-20-2022, 03:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
It's been awhile since we did our last mortgage, but the longest rate lock I've ever heard of is 90 days. So I'm curious - how did you get a rate lock that appears to be 5+ months?
We used the Builders preferred lender, Wells Fargo, who gave us a a 9 month locked in rate for the build and closing. No other lender was willing to come even close, which is why we went with them. Plus their rates were as good as anyone else.

It was getting a little scary for us as closing is within 3 weeks of our locked in rate ending. Wells Fargo just confirmed that they will extend the locked in rate as long as necessary until closing, which is amazing. They have an agreement with the Builder, and the Builder recommends them to their buyers. The relationship obviously works, and is extremely beneficial to the buyer. We're thrilled.

By the way, the Builder is Smith Douglas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary