Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2023, 09:24 AM

820 posts, read 447,459 times

Advertisements

Two new observations, and again about food...

"Big Steve's Bagel and Deli" in Benson (on Rt. 210 just west of I-40) is just what this NJ/NY'er ordered. Bagels are the best yet I've found since we moved here (and they have Bialy's!!!!). Real old style, makes me think I'm back in Manhattan as soon as I walked in. My daughter ordered an egg/bacon/cheese on a bagel... just like home. It was great. I know there's plenty of NYer's here that will always state there's nothing like home, but I'm not one of them. I gotta give credit where credit is due, and this place deserves every bit of it. You want great bagels, go to Big Steve's.

Secondly, my wife and I just got back from the "Carolina Butcher Shop" in Angier (N. Raleigh St.) Not to be confused with the "Angier Butcher Shop" a few miles south on S. Raleigh St (that is more like a small supermarket). The "Carolina Butcher Shop" is the real deal, pure and true butcher shop. The choices are mouth watering. We ended up spending more than we wanted because you just keep seeing more and more incredible cuts. Whatever you can dream of they have it, or they will order it. We'll be grilling some filet mignons today. I do love my beef, and this is the place to go if you're in the area.

Thanks everyone. I hope you appreciate the updates. We'll be closing on the new house shortly, so expect some observations on that and more. We just couldn't be happier.

Last edited by SickofJersey; 03-04-2023 at 09:37 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2023, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroundtheglobe View Post
Greetings!
Been following your posts. So you've made it down and seems like you're liking it.
We are just looking at the possibilities of the RDU area now from Long Island.
I'm sick of paying the high fees for everything here.

I haven't secured a job yet but trying to navigate that and confident i will find something.
Greetings Globe.

Just a quick tip on securing that job... I mentioned somewhere in this thread that my success in landing the job I wanted was shaking hands, not just submitting resumes. It was a dramatic difference. I had two offers in one day from the two companies I visited. That was after 3 months of submitting resumes with barely any results.

Instead of being an email, research who the supervisors are and walk in asking for them. You may be quickly surprised!!!

Old 05-21-2023, 01:34 PM

Hi all. It’s been a bit since my last observation. So, for an update…

We moved into our new home approx. two months ago, it’s in Four Oaks. Quiet, safe… just what we were looking for. The builder was great to work with and gave us a quality home. I built homes early in my career and have been in construction my entire life, so I know what is good and what is not so good. I also know I didn’t buy a million-dollar house, and understand what I am getting for my money. We definitely got our moneys worth.

Being my wife and I are in our 60’s, a ranch style home was what we wanted… no more stairs. That was the best part for us. We are having a deck built (I just don’t have the time or energy to build any more), which we are very excited for. It will make entertaining much more enjoyable.

The new home was a much better experience than I expected. I had heard so many horror stories, none of which we had to deal with. We had multiple choices of home styles and models, and my wife really enjoyed picking out all the interior finishes she wanted. I got my 3rd car garage, so I’m very happy. I understand sod in the front of the house is all that is given, the rest is basically up to us. Since I love my landscaping and find it very relaxing, I’m very much enjoying the challenge of growing grass. So far I’m having success and just growing sections at a time. I always do plenty of research (Google is key), so I know what grasses to plant and how. The flag pole goes up in a few weeks with a garden around it (very proud to fly Ole’ Glory), then the front will be complete.

Being as I’m in construction and still have a few years to go before retirement, I travel varying distances. It is what it is in my field. But since I-40 opening up a large chuck of roadway the traffic home has been much, much better (I get out much earlier in the morning before traffic starts). I’m sure it will be even better once 540 gets done, and the rest of the I-40 widening east of exit 309 is complete.

Basically, the move down here was everything we had hoped for. The people, the weather, the entire way of life is what we were hoping for… and we found it. Thank you North Carolinians for accepting us as new Southerners. But I will always root for my Giants and Islanders. That's one thing I will not change!!!

Old 05-23-2023, 06:21 PM

2,444 posts, read 2,873,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SickofJersey View Post
Greetings Globe.

Just a quick tip on securing that job... I mentioned somewhere in this thread that my success in landing the job I wanted was shaking hands, not just submitting resumes. It was a dramatic difference. I had two offers in one day from the two companies I visited. That was after 3 months of submitting resumes with barely any results.

Instead of being an email, research who the supervisors are and walk in asking for them. You may be quickly surprised!!!
Yes! I kept telling my son to do that; the day he did was the day he got the job he wanted!

Old 05-24-2023, 02:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedBeth View Post
Yes! I kept telling my son to do that; the day he did was the day he got the job he wanted!
That's great Beth. It's amazing how different the experience is when you go the extra yard, it shows seriousness and a go-get-em attitude. It worked for both myself and my daughter. I'm not sure why more people don't do that. Maybe it's laziness, or lack of confidence. But a perspective employer would love to see an aggressive confident applicant in person.

I walked into my current employer, asked and met the exec for that office, then said I'm the guy you're hiring today. He was so impressed by just showing up (aside from me being a bit cocky) that he was making me an offer within minutes... no exageration.

A recession is coming, and layoffs are already beginning. It's going to become a much more competitive job market, and we have to do what is necessary to stand out. You son did that and he succeeded. What a great life lesson for him. He wanted it and went out and got it. You must be very proud, and so must he in himself!!!

Old 05-24-2023, 04:31 AM

74 posts, read 61,608 times
My neighbor's daughter did the same thing. She walked into a place with a small box of treats and asked to speak to someone. It guess it still works.

Glad to hear you like it.
We are planning to make a trip down in the next few weeks. I haven't heard of Four Oaks, but we will take a look. A ranch home looks ideal to us. We are in 50s and right now have multi level home with many steps and we're tired of it.

Old 05-25-2023, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroundtheglobe View Post
My neighbor's daughter did the same thing. She walked into a place with a small box of treats and asked to speak to someone. It guess it still works.

Glad to hear you like it.
We are planning to make a trip down in the next few weeks. I haven't heard of Four Oaks, but we will take a look. A ranch home looks ideal to us. We are in 50s and right now have multi level home with many steps and we're tired of it.
I gotta say no stairs never felt so good. And you'll get used to it real quick!!!!

Old 05-26-2023, 03:26 PM

Quick food observation...

My daughter and I went to Redneck BBQ Lab again earlier today. Got there before the crowd because it packs, especially on Friday and the weekends. And while the ribs (and everything else) was its usual amazing, I have to add the people are just wonderfully sweet... every single one of them. And they are so sincere. Either the manager or owner, I'm not sure, comes out to say hi and ask how our day is with this welcoming smile and makes friendly small talk. Then when we pick up the food once it's ready the kid behind the counter was so nice, and again "I hope you have a real nice weekend. And thank you for coming".

As we were walking out a girl who worked there was ahead of us with her hands full going out the door. She was too fast for us to get in front and hold the door for her. Then she noticed us coming out behind and apologized for not holding the door for us!!! We said we were sorry for not being quick enough to help her. Then, just like the rest, she gave a great big smile, said thank you and that she hopes we have a great weekend.

I've said before I love the southern hospitality, and this place shows it so much. Wonderful, happy, friendly people and great food. That's why I tell everyone I know about it who hasn't ever been there yet.

We love it down here. What a wonderful way to live.

Old 05-27-2023, 02:06 PM

As someone with military in my family (not that it matters), God bless those heroes who gave their lives in order for us to have the freedom to live in any manner of which we choose and allow us to continue to have the freedom of speech whether or not we agree with what is said

If for nothing else, we owe them at least a moment of remembrance at some time during this weekend. Our brother and sister warriors deserve at least that much from each and every one of us.

Old 06-13-2023, 04:08 AM

74 posts, read 61,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SickofJersey View Post
Greetings Globe.

You mentioned construction. What do you do though, executive? Curious because I think you have to be someone who really knows their stuff or a higher up position to walk in and get that attention. Good for you.
I don't know if I'm brazen enough to try that, but I know it works.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary