Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2022, 08:54 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJKB View Post
Just read through this and enjoyed your updates.
I think the drivers here don't really drive "defensively" like they do back in the North East. They are pretty bad at merging, and don't drive expecting others to do something stupid (like pull out in front of you and be prepared to hit the brakes). .
As a former claims adjuster in both NY and NC I can tell you this is correct.

There is more aggressive driving here now, but someone told me I moved here that tailgating isn't an act of aggression, it's from watching NASCAR lol. Changed my whole mindset.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2022, 09:11 AM

13,705 posts, read 12,413,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Glad you are enjoying it and happy with the move.

We have natural gas stove, water heater, heat. I guess not as common the farther out you go. Don't know anyone who uses oil.
Me neither but it's around. I see the truck in my neighborhood for oil and it's a company that delivers propane. I also looked at a rental about 7 years ago that had fuel oil.

Old 09-03-2022, 03:23 AM

813 posts, read 441,413 times
To continue this driving experience discussion, another thing I saw today reminded me of everywhere I have driven in this country. Mind you, this is my experiences and we all look at things in our own way. On my way in to work I had next to me a racing style motorcycle, and I am not exaggerating within three feet from the truck in front of him. I thought it was crazy, and then he got between us (with about 3 - 4 feet space) and took off flying down 440. This was about 5:45 in the morning.
Later that afternoon, on my way home, I had another motorcycle alongside me. This time a Harley biker. Obeying the rules, giving space even in traffic, and just being responsible. I've seen this my whole life. Even though the Harley Davidson bikers always had this kind of tough guy rep (which maybe is the appearance with the leather and often chopper styles), I've had many friends over the years who did have "Hogs" and are just cool people. I think most all are, and that rep goes back to the movies and old Hell's Angels stories... not the reality.
I guess what I'm saying is, and I've seen this for decades, those on (what I call) racing bikes are many times crazy and outright dangerous. To this day gets me nervous, and I even (up in New Jersey) saw one try to beat a red light and get killed. Sad day. But the choppers just keep cruising on, riding mellow, loving life.
My off topic thoughts of the day. Life is good, let's try to make it last as long as possible.

Old 09-04-2022, 10:47 AM

To all. I have this checklist I used when we were searching for our newest (and hopefully last) place to live. I think we found it here in Southern Raleigh. But since I don't know how to attach something here, I'll copy/paste below. I hope it helps those who may need or could use it.

Biggest general items
1. Climate. This is the first choice. Pick as many states you think you may like, but in the climate range you want to live in most.
2. Once states are chosen, research cities or general areas within the state that fit your description of the type of life you want to lead. Citi-Data forums are a great resource from those that experience the areas.
3. Once areas are chosen, decide your price range. What size monthly mortgage payments, including property taxes and HOA fees, are you comfortable with while still enjoying your life? No one wants to fight to pay your bills, especially when starting a new phase in life.
Next Stage of the Breakdown
1. Crime rates to determine particular areas and towns around the cities you choose, unless you choose the urban life which then check crime rates within the cities. You have to feel safe, and make sure your family is safe also.
2. Jobs. Is there a strong market for your career? Does the salary match your monthly mortgage/price comfort range? Looking through offers that match your profession on Glassdoor, Indeed, Linked In, Zip Recruiter, etc, can easily answer that question.
3. What is your comfort level in regards to time for travel to work? Everyone is different. I don’t mind traveling up to an hour, others have a lesser tolerance. Distance to work is important to happiness.
4. Do the lifestyles in the areas you chose match what you are looking for? Do you want your area younger with more kids, older with more quiet, near trails for more activity and nature, etc?
5. This one kind of works with the last… family. Is everyone bought in for this move? Can this area meet most of the needs of each family member?
6. What are the local people like? Here in the Raleigh area, “Southern Hospitality” is a real thing. But it most likely isn’t the case everywhere you look. Different towns, different lifestyles, different people.
Generalities
1. Give yourself time. Once you have knocked this list down to 3-5 areas, you have to visit them. Nothing works like to “look-touch-drive through” approach. Would you trust one of the biggest decisions of your life blindly? I never will.
2. If you have a choice, you should stay out of most town/city centers. They are usually fun to visit, and always seem to have the great activities and themes. But I prefer to “visit” then go home. When you’re in the middle, you can’t get away when home is there.
3. When you finally make your decision, RENT FIRST. Aside from the difficulties of selling/moving/buying from a distance, you never really know the exact areas that fit best unless you are able to take your time and discover them. Between moving and settling in, starting a new job, discovering the perfect spot to live in, finding the best deal on a home, the offer/mortgage/closing/moving in process… it could take up that one year easily.

This all may sound like a lot, but it really isn’t. Take this checklist, add or subtract items as you see fit, and use it in every area you search. In the end, you will know you have given yourself the greatest percentage of success and happiness.

Old 09-18-2022, 06:57 AM

A short post this time. A saying I never heard up north but I'm seeing is very common here in NC is "I appreciate you". I understand now it's a southern version of "thank you". I thinks it's a very cool saying, and have begun using it when it seems appropriate.

Just another cool little thing about living here, amongst the so many others.

Yea, life is good, especially in the South.

Old 09-18-2022, 07:53 AM

5,874 posts, read 6,940,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SickofJersey View Post
A short post this time. A saying I never heard up north but I'm seeing is very common here in NC is "I appreciate you". I understand now it's a southern version of "thank you".
As a native Southerner, I can say I have never heard that expression.

Old 09-18-2022, 09:09 AM

4,586 posts, read 6,414,204 times
“I appreciate you” isn’t southern. I have mostly heard it said from nonsoutherners.

Old 09-18-2022, 09:25 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,259,873 times
I’ve always heard “appreciate it” in the north, “appreciate you” in the south.

Old 09-18-2022, 11:48 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
Naw, "'preeesh" or "'preciate it" ("prish ate it") is very Southern. Go watch some Andy Griffith. The title of his autobiography is "I Appreciate It" https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...-appreciate-it Also very common in black culture. Not just a white thing at all.

"I appreciate you" is very weird to these 50-something year old years. It's something the younger folks say now and I have rarely heard it from anyone older than 30 and usually not southern. And really the cashier at the store does not "appreciate ME". They barely know me. They might appreciate IT, "it" being my act of buying something from my store, but they don't appreciate ME.

If you wanna be Southern say, "'preciate it".

Old 09-19-2022, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Naw, "'preeesh" or "'preciate it" ("prish ate it") is very Southern. Go watch some Andy Griffith. The title of his autobiography is "I Appreciate It" https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...-appreciate-it Also very common in black culture. Not just a white thing at all.

"I appreciate you" is very weird to these 50-something year old years. It's something the younger folks say now and I have rarely heard it from anyone older than 30 and usually not southern. And really the cashier at the store does not "appreciate ME". They barely know me. They might appreciate IT, "it" being my act of buying something from my store, but they don't appreciate ME.

If you wanna be Southern say, "'preciate it".
I "preciate" your comment Poppy...

I hear it at least once or twice a week on my jobsite (approx. 350 men and women), mostly by native North Carolinians or Southerners who travel for work.

I also hear it in various ways once or twice a month at the golf courses, again almost always by Southerners.

I just think it's a nice thing to say, that's all.

And I always loved the Andy Griffith Show. Maybe that's why I came here, because I remember as a kid how nice it must be to live in that kind of setting. I know it isn't exactly like that now, but it sure is a helluva lot better than living in New Jersey/New York. And I definitely appreciate it!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary