Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2023, 07:34 AM

6,381 posts, read 5,501,958 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroundtheglobe View Post
I don’t know much about Smithfield other than it was voted in the top 10 redneck cities Lol.
I’ve been researching outer areas that may become the next Cary. Nice that they have an amphitheater.

Actually looking at it, it seems quite nice
To be sure....Smithfield being "the next Cary"..... is probably not a safe bet.

That isn't a knock on either town; it's just a realistic observation.

There really won't be a "Next Cary" in the sense of being a relatively dense suburban "town" approaching 200k in population that is proximate to RTP, Raleigh, Durham, and Chapel Hill.

Even Apex, often described as "the next Cary" and growing at a healthy clip...will not likely grow to be as large as Cary and certainly is no longer in the more-affordable category in comparison to Cary either.

Now if you mean "the next Cary" as in becoming fast-growing and very popular with relocatees....that's different. Smithfield is probably still a ways down the list for that (Clayton is certainly well along in that stage though).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2023, 03:39 AM

820 posts, read 447,459 times
A very quick observation...

Again, I love how nice Southerners are. I VERY often get asked (and quite politely) where I'm from, although I know my New Yawker accent always gives me away. My go-to response now is (in my best, deepest Brooklyn accent) "I lived in Georgia my whole life. What, you can't tell?" Then I smile.

Gets me a laugh every time, and making fun of myself always breaks the ice when meeting someone new.

Old 07-08-2023, 05:41 AM

74 posts, read 61,608 times
Great ice breaker for sure. That reminds me. We were visiting Georgia a few years back to see family when we stopped for breakfast. When my husband asked for “cawfee” the waitress smiled and said “Oh honey, you’re not from around here are ya?”
We got a chuckle out of that.

It’s hard to hide the New Yawk twang.
Glad you’re finding your way there. Sounds like you are happy. We will be visiting Raleigh soon to explore.

Old 07-19-2023, 03:51 PM

A sad observation...

The tornado that hit Rocky Mount is just another reminder of how fragile our homes, jobs, and lives are... and how quickly any could be lost or changed dramatically.

I know the added weather challenges that moving to North Carolina had, but I also know that where I lived in the Northeast has also had a tornado hit this summer, and the flooding that hit my old areas on Long Island have been devastating.

For whatever the reasons (this is in no way a political post at all), we are all at the mercy of mother nature. Be vigilant, prepared as best as possible, and aware of any current threats.

My prayers and thoughts are to those affected today. I hope they recover quickly.

Old 07-22-2023, 03:13 PM

New food observation...

I just this morning discovered Burney's Sweets and More in Smithfield from a friends suggestion. It turns out there are 17 of them in North Carolina.

I'll just say this... this place is the most dangerous bakery I may have ever been in. The glazed filled croissants are out of this world. I could eat enough to make me sick, they are so good. Next I'll be trying all the different macaroons.

This place is a gold mine. I'm surprised at myself for not knowing about it until now. If you haven't been there yet, get there. They're closed Sundays. Maybe that's to catch up on the baking... because it's gotta be sold out each day.

Old 07-29-2023, 02:45 PM

I have a new food observation (I know, I do this often)...

Low and Slow Smokehouse in Smithfield at the Johnston County Airport. Beautiful airport, 3rd floor restaurant that even serves breakfast. All the people there are so nice, and they have an outdoor seating balcony where you could watch all the small Cessna's take off. If you get lucky, and we have a few times, you can even catch a helicopter take off.

Families are there, kids love it, food is very good, atmosphere is exceptional. I highly recommend it.

Old 07-29-2023, 04:13 PM

323 posts, read 257,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
To be sure....Smithfield being "the next Cary"..... is probably not a safe bet.
Interesting point of reference from the 1960 Census:

Cary....3,356

Smithfield...6,117

Cary became the next Smithfield

Old 07-30-2023, 04:44 PM

Here's a different sort of observation...

My wife, daughter, and myself enjoy shooting ranges. While it's a bit our of our way (40 minutes each way), the Triangle Shooting Academy in Raleigh is a beautiful set up with 33 indoor lanes. All the professionals are extremely patient and helpful, always smiling. They have a great selection of guns to rent if you want to try something new. And the sales area has a wide array of weapons and accessories. They also can quickly get delivered anything you want if they don't have it in stock.

Note that safety is huge, and everyone is watched and reminded about the proper protocols and procedures. You could save some time with your first visit by going on their site and taking their safety orientation and registration before you go. We have our own hearing protection, safety glasses, and targets, so we save a bit not having to rent/buy them there.

It's always a real fun time.

Old 07-30-2023, 07:53 PM

330 posts, read 186,400 times
Interested to know if there's any private shooting clubs in the triangle with an outdoor range for handgun. A 100yrd and 200yrd range would be great as well.

Old 08-05-2023, 04:25 PM

Another observation...

The last one was about the Triangle Shooting Academy. This time it's about an awesome store... Fuquay Gun and Gold in Fuquay Varina. What a great place for any weapon, ammo, or accessory. I drove by it every day, but until a friend told me I had to go in and check it out, in no way did I realize how much this place carries and the deals they have. I got a red dot for my handgun (they mounted it for me) and a deal on target ammo that couldn't be beat. No wonder this place is always packed. And as is always the case in North Carolina, the people are helpful and always smiling.

If you enjoy collecting, shooting, and anything that's related to it, this is the place for you. Trust me, what it looks like outside is in no way what it looks like inside. It's now my go to place for everything I need.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary