Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2014, 08:33 PM

1,166 posts, read 1,381,732 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
OK if you're talking a 4,000 sq ft house for half a million dollars that would be QUITE the painting bill to repaint.

LOl those are the exact colors I bought my condo despite. Peachy/Clay (accent wall), violet blue master but my kitchen is apple green. My hall bath is the green of their piano room. And only 1200 sq ft.
Yeah, that peach color would be the first thing to go if I was buying a house painted in that color.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2014, 07:11 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,905,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Hehe, I am absolutely not handy and my husband is good for the "honey do" jobs. He's more of the computer savvy guy. I think a lot of this has to do with confidence - he's scared that he's gonna mess things up or it's not going to look professionally done. I can't believe it - self stick tiles over carpet?? how is that even possible, lol...

Now see, I would fall in love with your apple green kitchen and violet master. Love love love!!
Hilarious. I noticed you said you had plum in the bath.

My seller had a PLUM sink in my hall bath. I kept thinking what the heck what made her chose a plum sink and the hallway is clay. LOL. See the walls? Exactly match that piano room in the house you posted.

Gurl I think you were my former SELLER!

OR, you would have been like me, made an offer on that condo the very next day.

So I guess, in the end, you were right. There is a place for EVERYONE even with paint color!

Living Room clay with view into blue master:

green kitchen:

TAN SINK (WHY????) In blue master bath LOL

2BR peach next to the hall bath with a PLUM SINK. WHY? LOL Maybe it was on sale at Home Depot or something or she just loved it:

You would ADORE my flooring. It's that European ceramic tile that mimics wood. I don't have a good photo but it's a very unusual burnt orange and I actually DID and DO love it and was a big selling point when I walked in. (it looks brown in the photos but it's burnt orange)

You can't tell but my DR/LR has 12 foot pitch ceilings so even though I "can" paint I'd need a pro. And I ALWAYS had a pro do my ceilings, it's just too much to do myself even when I was 35 years old I figured THAT out. It's tough on the arms. And even with a very good hand you will often bleed color onto the wrong area. Taping isn't even the way to go if you have a good angle brush, technique and practice but yuk.

And for all the people who said ONE can of paint? Um, no. more like TWO in a small room.

My seller put SEVERAL coats. She had to with all that color. And IMO that's why it has lasted and is still clean and sharp after 9 years. Even in FL sun. But I'm on the interior with only ONE window in the Living Room getting sun. Good prep, good paint and not cheap. We had a hurricane that wrecked the place in 2004 so she had to replace and do everything from "scratch" in 2005. Then, she barely lived here until I bought it in 2008ish.

Last edited by runswithscissors; 09-03-2014 at 07:31 AM..

Old 09-03-2014, 11:39 AM

335 posts, read 620,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
What's amazing is your level of arrogance and dismissive attitude. There is painting ( slap paint on a wall call it a day) and there is painting correctly

Still looking at $20? I don't think so.

Quit talking out of your ass. $20 will get you a good roll of 3M painters tape and a good brush and that's about all it will get you.
Bravo!
When I saw the post that it only took $20, I thought - for painting what? A doll house? Certainly not the rooms in my 3000+ sf house.

Old 09-03-2014, 12:48 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,472,346 times
I think most houses that are listed for sale with a neutral color throughout are done that way as not to turn-off certain buyers. Your idea of a good color is often much different than someone else's so it's considered safer to make it one neutral color when showing a house. In addition, some people can't imagine much beyond what's in front of them and certain colors that are bold wouldn't sit well with some people which could hinder a possible sale.

Simple answer.....get happy and paint it the color you want after buying a house with the paint colors you like! Painting is such an easy thing to do. I wouldn't get hung up on paint color when looking at homes to buy. I'd be more concerned about the the location and the floor-plan which is much more work, sometimes impossible, to change.

Old 09-03-2014, 12:54 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,356,633 times
Our home is slowly becoming different shades of gray. I have started calling it the 50 shades of gray house although I doubt it is as exciting. No I have not read the book or intend to. I won't even see the movie. I am married so you may guess how other similarities are weighing in. Yup about the only thing similar is calling it "50 Shades of Gray".

Our decorating style is made up of gray, white, and black. Different rooms have a different shade. All trim and doors are white. Picture frames are black. All hardware, lights, electrical plates, switch plates are nickel. All plumbing fixtures are nickel. About the only other color is the kids rooms. Our daughter is into pink and her room is all pink. Our two youngest sons decided to split the room, half red and the other half blue. Ceilings are all white in the house. We will be painting the outside of the house a dark gray with white trim. All exterior fixtures, lights at the end of the garage, entry light, mail box will all be nickel.

Old 09-03-2014, 01:47 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,772,911 times
I entered real estate in 1972 and remained in it as a broker till I finally retired.

I loved it, when people had walls in homes in strong colors. They don't sell in most cases. Eventually when they gave up finding buyer, they would approach me to buy the hone, I would buy them at a greatly reduced price, have my own crew repaint them off white, and resell them at a real nice profit. A lot more profit than commission.

Old 09-03-2014, 03:27 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,152,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
You're right. You ARE in the minority. People want to buy a house and decorate it, furnish it, paint it to (their) preferences - to (make it) their HOME.

+1 to that.

Places I've bought, past 15 years, have been Navajo White or a rather-neutral beige. Latter place had accents like bamboo floors, red oak front door, and bit of other flair to the extent that I actually kept most of it as-is, since it was a well-thought out neutral palette. Window coverings, lamps and lighting, rugs, paintings, and other layers of design have complemented or anchored various parts of the overall theme.

To me, all that is a canvas. I am the brush, and the knife. I (usually) do not want anyone else's palette being mine: won't work.

Navajo White place was painted in-toto, by me, walls-ceilings for $1,000 in materials and tens of hours of learning curve and detail-work. Which I enjoyed immensely, btw. Other layers of design flowed out from there.

Mostly-beige place, at current, is an excuse to create feature walls in different rooms (=check). Man cave / theater room was an excuse to go wilder, with a bolder multi-tone palette that complemented the anchors: existing carpet that was in great condition, reddish wood trim, and black leather furniture. End result is masculine and individualized.

I remember the wacky early-70s colors and etc.: had those in my childhood home. Like the red/white/blue shag carpet in my childhood room, and red and blue denim wallpaper plus wood paneling. Looked like KMart vomited all over the place. Most of that was vulgar in the extreme, a fad. Like the whole late 1980s black furniture, leather dresses, foofy hair, and mint and other cool-colors walls: just dumb, in retrospect, and quite dated just a few years later (see films "St. Elmo's Fire" and "National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation" for examples).

Old 09-03-2014, 05:46 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,491,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
Hilarious. I noticed you said you had plum in the bath.

My seller had a PLUM sink in my hall bath. I kept thinking what the heck what made her chose a plum sink and the hallway is clay. LOL. See the walls? Exactly match that piano room in the house you posted.

Gurl I think you were my former SELLER!

OR, you would have been like me, made an offer on that condo the very next day.

So I guess, in the end, you were right. There is a place for EVERYONE even with paint color!

Living Room clay with view into blue master:

green kitchen:

TAN SINK (WHY????) In blue master bath LOL

2BR peach next to the hall bath with a PLUM SINK. WHY? LOL Maybe it was on sale at Home Depot or something or she just loved it:

You would ADORE my flooring. It's that European ceramic tile that mimics wood. I don't have a good photo but it's a very unusual burnt orange and I actually DID and DO love it and was a big selling point when I walked in. (it looks brown in the photos but it's burnt orange)

You can't tell but my DR/LR has 12 foot pitch ceilings so even though I "can" paint I'd need a pro. And I ALWAYS had a pro do my ceilings, it's just too much to do myself even when I was 35 years old I figured THAT out. It's tough on the arms. And even with a very good hand you will often bleed color onto the wrong area. Taping isn't even the way to go if you have a good angle brush, technique and practice but yuk.

And for all the people who said ONE can of paint? Um, no. more like TWO in a small room.

My seller put SEVERAL coats. She had to with all that color. And IMO that's why it has lasted and is still clean and sharp after 9 years. Even in FL sun. But I'm on the interior with only ONE window in the Living Room getting sun. Good prep, good paint and not cheap. We had a hurricane that wrecked the place in 2004 so she had to replace and do everything from "scratch" in 2005. Then, she barely lived here until I bought it in 2008ish.
I do like the flooring and love your green kitchen. Actually many of those colors give me happy thoughts.

My house colors are neutral now but I use a different color for each room. Have to be true to myself

Old 09-03-2014, 05:48 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,491,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
I entered real estate in 1972 and remained in it as a broker till I finally retired.

I loved it, when people had walls in homes in strong colors. They don't sell in most cases. Eventually when they gave up finding buyer, they would approach me to buy the hone, I would buy them at a greatly reduced price, have my own crew repaint them off white, and resell them at a real nice profit. A lot more profit than commission.
The operative word here is strong. You don't have to use one benign color for the whole house in order to sell it for asking price. The home in my link I'm pretty sure isn't selling at a bargain price..

Old 01-13-2015, 04:23 PM

5 posts, read 6,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Why would I "make stuff up to talk about"? It's a message board for Pete's sake.

And gee, since we're getting all literal here, I'm not actually crying or really feeling truly sad. Come ON. It was just my chagrin at seeing a group of boring, blah colored homes that had beige throughout the whole home. I would never shell out money to repaint my home beige. I'll neutralize it, yes, but actually spend painting dollars? No way.

Also, since we're on the subject of personal preferences, there are lots of colors better than beige for homes on the market. Thank God many homes in my market have gotten the memo. Neutral yes, all beige, no. I can think of several colors that aren't pepto pink off the topic of my head that I've seen in homes that are pending. Beige doesn't conjure up one image of "things I can do" with a place. Not at all. If you like beige, good. I don't. the earth continues to spin on its axis.

I"m totally agree with you! I think majority of the people 80% are color blind. Every time I go to a color consulting appointment I already know the the questions that people will ask me. Probably 90% of questions are how can we change the color of the interior to fill at that house home! Especially at new construction houses. In most severe cases they bring the old furnishings they are in love with to brand new house and nothing matches. To make the case even worse, they hire a decorator (pretending to be a interior designer) and makes more of a mess. Because they want to sell more merchandise with some crazy colors (rugs and huge art prints) to divert the attention from the color mess by adding something big and vibrant colored. I usually work with big houses and condos in the midwest and west coast, California and Oregon, with the exact same problem. Some advice for your customers is to hire a color consultant before they are moving in. And best way to paint is Faux Finishes. Because I can swing any colors to make sense with the interior and the furnishings
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate