Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2014, 01:54 PM

32,659 posts, read 48,067,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Horse hockey. Anyone can paint a wall; there is no "expertise" involved...............................
I am going to assume that you have never seen how tenants paint? Believe me, not everyone can paint. I've seen a lot of really bad paint jobs, and those painters couldn't paint, unless you like paint on the light switches, carpet, and dabbed here and there on the ceiling. Maybe those drips stuck to the bath tub are just artistic expression?

Yes, indeed, there is some expertise needed, plus a good steady hand and the patience to do all the preparation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2014, 01:58 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,228,838 times
I LOVE the beige. It let's me imagine all sorts of things I could do rather than having to force myself to "unsee" what's right in front of me. We are talking about houses on the market right? Then there is nothing better than beige.

Totally flummoxed by anyone getting "sad" about the color of a house for sale that they have no intention on buying too. Is this an example of making up stuff to talk about?

Old 09-02-2014, 02:02 PM

1,189 posts, read 1,758,001 times
I am not a fan of blah colors either. We were told by several agents to tone down our walls. My dining room was dark red with white woodwork and looked amazing and rich. My kitchen was plum as was the entryway. I loved the colors and it made my house seem much more homey. Now all the walls are some sort of cream or beige color. My living room has always been a hazelnut color with plum furniture which matched the entryway, now we have a blue, cream, brown and teal swirl rug, blue curtains and chocolate furniture. The kitchen been repainted beige with blue/brown/beige accent tiles and the dining room is on its way for another paint job. We hvae yet to get this house on the market but are determined to by March 2015.

I am not repainting the kids rooms which are blue, yellow and cream, or the finished basement which is a bright lime green. it is my kids playroom and it is happy and fun. Whoever buys it will probably repaint everything anyway.

Old 09-02-2014, 02:14 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,393,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaotix View Post
Don't forget the ceiling and crown moldings, you have to know how to cut in those edges and lines between ceiling and walls. I too, would not want to sink in an extra $10-15K painting a newly purchased house. I'ts time, work and money, those that say it's easy and cheap, are yes, talking out of their arse.
I think they should become house painters because it's so easy and cheap.

Old 09-02-2014, 02:23 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,487,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I LOVE the beige. It let's me imagine all sorts of things I could do rather than having to force myself to "unsee" what's right in front of me. We are talking about houses on the market right? Then there is nothing better than beige.

Totally flummoxed by anyone getting "sad" about the color of a house for sale that they have no intention on buying too. Is this an example of making up stuff to talk about?
Why would I "make stuff up to talk about"? It's a message board for Pete's sake.

And gee, since we're getting all literal here, I'm not actually crying or really feeling truly sad. Come ON. It was just my chagrin at seeing a group of boring, blah colored homes that had beige throughout the whole home. I would never shell out money to repaint my home beige. I'll neutralize it, yes, but actually spend painting dollars? No way.

Also, since we're on the subject of personal preferences, there are lots of colors better than beige for homes on the market. Thank God many homes in my market have gotten the memo. Neutral yes, all beige, no. I can think of several colors that aren't pepto pink off the topic of my head that I've seen in homes that are pending. Beige doesn't conjure up one image of "things I can do" with a place. Not at all. If you like beige, good. I don't. the earth continues to spin on its axis.

Old 09-02-2014, 02:31 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,487,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingomo View Post
I am not a fan of blah colors either. We were told by several agents to tone down our walls. My dining room was dark red with white woodwork and looked amazing and rich. My kitchen was plum as was the entryway. I loved the colors and it made my house seem much more homey. Now all the walls are some sort of cream or beige color. My living room has always been a hazelnut color with plum furniture which matched the entryway, now we have a blue, cream, brown and teal swirl rug, blue curtains and chocolate furniture. The kitchen been repainted beige with blue/brown/beige accent tiles and the dining room is on its way for another paint job. We hvae yet to get this house on the market but are determined to by March 2015.

I am not repainting the kids rooms which are blue, yellow and cream, or the finished basement which is a bright lime green. it is my kids playroom and it is happy and fun. Whoever buys it will probably repaint everything anyway.
Yeah, my original colors were pretty intense as well but all my realtor mentioned to us was changing some of the rooms to neutral colors, like our green bathroom. I'm using cooler neutrals (grays, taupes, greige, and other borderline colors like plums) but can't see myself painting the entire home one color. It just wouldn't really work in my home.

Old 09-02-2014, 02:43 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,393,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Yeah, my original colors were pretty intense as well but all my realtor mentioned to us was changing some of the rooms to neutral colors, like our green bathroom. I'm using cooler neutrals (grays, taupes, greige, and other borderline colors like plums) but can't see myself painting the entire home one color. It just wouldn't really work in my home.
Greys, Taipei, and greige are all neutrals. The plum will be fairly taste specific. Many people dislike greens, although I personally love it. Blues can be a neutral if it is a blueish grey.

Old 09-02-2014, 02:45 PM

7,982 posts, read 4,290,189 times
I wish the house I bought was beige. LOL

I had to remove pink butterfly wall paper from the "girl" bedroom and I had to paint over a frog-themed upstairs guest bath. The main level was dark...so dark. It was green in the dining room and brown in the living room.

Gross. I need happy and bright colors.

I painted the main level "porcelain peach"; the upstairs I also painted porcelain peach with a red accent wall in the master bedroom. I painted the basement coral above the chair railing and white below it.

It looks amazing!

But yeah, it would have been less traumatic to start with beige.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
I will not pay that much money for a home just to sink more money into it to cover that blood red accent wall that you thought looked so great when it was your home.
You'd hate my master bedroom, I guess. :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Some people have physical limitations and cannot do the work themselves or they have financial limitations and cannot or will not spend more to change something.
True. Even though it's hard for me to understand how anyone would not love a bright red wall, I would seriously consider re-painting my bedroom whenever I sell my home.

Last edited by Cali Doll; 09-02-2014 at 02:57 PM..

Old 09-02-2014, 02:59 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,219,950 times
Quote:
Whoever buys it will probably repaint everything anyway.

It's pretty clear from the posts that quite a lot of people do not want to repaint everything when they buy a house. That's why neutrals are popular - not because people necessarily prefer them, but because they are less idiosyncratic and less likely to turn off potential buyers. A lot of buyers are ok with "Yeah, it's not exactly what I would pick if I were painting but I can live with it" but not ok with "I would absolutely have to paint the [pink/lavender/neon green, etc] room to live here." The more different colors you have and the more intense they are, the higher the likelihood of having at least one that could turn off a potential buyer.

And for all the protestations that paint is cheap and easy, it's not all that cheap and to do a good job is neither quick nor easy. So many buyers absolutely take that into consideration.

Old 09-02-2014, 03:02 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,613,193 times
Yes, I'm guilty of spending more time on prep than actually painting, but my finished product looks like a professional did it.

And I agree about passing on bold colors. I passed on a house that had too many black and neon blue walls. I understand black in the "man cave," but not in a second floor bedroom.

I liked a challenge at age 20 and took on lots of them but now that I'm in my 50's, I appreciate not having several months of interior work to do.

I understand that my "all beige" may not appeal to some but from my research, it would appeal to a majority of buyers in my market if I sold my place tomorrow. I'm wasn't specifically painting for them, but I was happy to find a color that works for me and for a potential resale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate