Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2014, 03:03 PM

7,982 posts, read 4,287,627 times

Advertisements

I painted my living room and dining room. The living room (with the windows, crown molding, many outlets, etc) was so incredibly taxing. I almost gave up in the middle of it. The dining room was very easy to paint, as it is barely 3 plain walls. I had a friend paint the rest of my house.

I paid him $1,300; the professional painters wanted $5,000!

From that experience, I learned that a little painting is OK, but any more than a little and I have to hire someone else to do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2014, 03:15 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,481,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
Greys, Taipei, and greige are all neutrals. The plum will be fairly taste specific. Many people dislike greens, although I personally love it. Blues can be a neutral if it is a blueish grey.
I surprisingly LOVE gray, taupe, and greige. Have a mix of that going on. The green bathroom has now become the neutral green bathroom (it's kind of this light green/gray type of color). The plum I've reserved for the master and the master bathroom. Tried not to go too feminine with it. I had to sneak that color in there because while I like gray, can't take it in every room.

Old 09-02-2014, 03:23 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,962,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandalorian View Post
You do realize a bucket of paint is $25 at Home Depot, right?

Paint is the EASIEST thing to change.

Besides, I for one tend to like beige. It makes a space seem open and airy. With love it or hate it colors, I usually hate it.

Being different simply for the sake of being different is dumb. Do what feels right.

It's 100% a matter of preference.
And what if you have to paint four rooms? Besides, rooms don't paint themselves. Painting takes a lot of time, and time is money, whether you paint yourself or hire a contractor. Painting over dark walls can take three or more coats of paint.

Old 09-02-2014, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
And what if you have to paint four rooms? Besides, rooms don't paint themselves. Painting takes a lot of time, and time is money, whether you paint yourself or hire a contractor. Painting over dark walls can take three or more coats of paint.
White can be almost as bad. Took two coats of Sherwin Williams paint to cover the horrid builder white paint that bled through.

Old 09-02-2014, 03:44 PM

41,958 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I am going to assume that you have never seen how tenants paint?
Tenants and owners ... apples and oranges. At least I would hope so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
Yes, I'm guilty of spending more time on prep than actually painting, but my finished product looks like a professional did it.
Absolutely. That's the way to do it right.

As for bemoaning the time it takes to paint ... Uh-uh. Over the weekend I painted a 12 x 16 bedroom, all by my lonesome. One day to move the furniture and prep. One day to paint the ceiling and walls. One day to paint the trim and replace the furniture. Done! Well, I still have to iron and hang the curtains that got thrown in the wash while the painting was going on.

Oh, and the room I painted was beige; now it's a nice soft green, with muslin-colored trim. And it looks fantastic.

So in three days - probably about 18-20 hours - and $75 in supplies (not including ibuprofen for a sore rolling shoulder), I made a boring, tired room new again.

What's so hard and/or expensive about that?

Old 09-02-2014, 03:49 PM

This house is what I have in mind when it comes to color:

http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...l_PhotoGallery

Beige in the foyer but splashes of tasteful color here and there. Not really into sunshine yellow but not really a problem for me.

Old 09-02-2014, 03:49 PM

43,291 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Everyone has their strengths and weaknesses.

I work with people who will paint forever, but don't ask them to do electrical or plumbing or roofing work.
I find most electrical and plumbing and roofing work easy and interesting, and prefer any of that work much more than painting.

And I have respect enough for other people to avoid belittling people who don't like electrical, plumbing, and roofing work.

Old 09-02-2014, 07:00 PM

15,639 posts, read 26,259,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
If it is "so easy to change" then why do people have an issue with a lime green bathroom then? It goes both ways.

Using variety when it comes to painting isn't being "different for the sake of being different". If done right, it makes a home look that much better than some non-descript all beige home with beige tile to match.

Then again, I freely admit that I am very much into color. Both the exterior and interior of my home use quite a bit of the color palette and that's what I expect from my new home. I've done way too much with this current house to want to embark on that journey again. And the price we're paying, we want what we want.
Doing janitorial, I have learned that people are very very limited with being handy now. I've seen some amazingly wrong things in places (once, I saw self stick tiles squares installed OVER CARPET ) and people barely know how to clean anymore.

It's stunning.

Old 09-02-2014, 07:00 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,896,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
This house is what I have in mind when it comes to color:

http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...l_PhotoGallery

Beige in the foyer but splashes of tasteful color here and there. Not really into sunshine yellow but not really a problem for me.
OK if you're talking a 4,000 sq ft house for half a million dollars that would be QUITE the painting bill to repaint.

LOl those are the exact colors I bought my condo despite. Peachy/Clay (accent wall), violet blue master but my kitchen is apple green. My hall bath is the green of their piano room. And only 1200 sq ft.

Old 09-02-2014, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Doing janitorial, I have learned that people are very very limited with being handy now. I've seen some amazingly wrong things in places (once, I saw self stick tiles squares installed OVER CARPET ) and people barely know how to clean anymore.

It's stunning.
Hehe, I am absolutely not handy and my husband is good for the "honey do" jobs. He's more of the computer savvy guy. I think a lot of this has to do with confidence - he's scared that he's gonna mess things up or it's not going to look professionally done. I can't believe it - self stick tiles over carpet?? how is that even possible, lol...

Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
OK if you're talking a 4,000 sq ft house for half a million dollars that would be QUITE the painting bill to repaint.

LOl those are the exact colors I bought my condo despite. Peachy/Clay (accent wall), violet blue master but my kitchen is apple green. My hall bath is the green of their piano room. And only 1200 sq ft.
Now see, I would fall in love with your apple green kitchen and violet master. Love love love!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate